my first attempt at a Mark IV clip (Porcupine Tree content)

blargh

• Members

After a long time of using amp simulators to record, I finally decided to learn how to use mic's and ordered one a few weeks ago... this is my first real attempt at recording my amp... after about an hour of fiddling with mic positions I think I've got something decent.

Unfortunately I can only run my amp a hair above bedroom volume here in the middle of suburbia :(

I used an audio technica AT3035 condenser into an M-Audio audio buddy preamp. Drums are EzDrummer (sorry about the lack of fills, i didn't spend too much time on the drums), bass is going direct through the audio buddy.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/files/lfpy-ptMKIVthing.mp3

(oh, and i used an avatar vintage 2x12 loaded with G12H30s)

• Members

Not bad at all! Especially for your first attempt...the guitar sounds are very clear and smooth...some of that smoothness is imparted by the condenser mic I would think. You might want to try throwing an sm57 in the mix of that to add some more "force" to the guitar. Either way it sounds good to me...

• Members

Wait, you're kidding, right?

:eek:

holy cow, when the clip started i thought that you posted the original song from the album, not your take.

Amazing, really amazing, and i don't say this so often.

Amazing sound and mixing, really "full" mix

:thu:

• Members
Damn that sounded EXCELLENT. It may be your first attempt but damn if you dont have some natural talent for.

Very, very good job. Excellent playing too. I had no idea our own Blargh was such a badass.
:p:thu:

remember his mark IIc+ clone w/ pull me under clip that got like 11 pages. nice job blarg

• Members
You might want to try throwing an sm57 in the mix of that to add some more "force" to the guitar.

I bought a 57 too, and it can sound killer on its own. When I try to blend it with the 3035, it seems to accentuate its high-freq spike in an unpleasant manner... I'm trying to get a good blend of the 3035 and 57 sounds, but didn't have the energy to deal with 2 mics with this clip. (I need to get some decent closed ear headphones... trying to place a mic with open ear Grados is a nightmare :freak:)

Beats my efforts at capturing my guitar sounds with the karaoke mic i've had laying around for years, anyway :freak:

Thanks for the comments... I'll be seeing PT live soon too, should be badass :thu:

• Members
Damn I dont remember that at all. I blame it on the bong.
:cry:

he did a dream theater cover with his IIC+ preamp clone with some sort of cab sim, sounded amazing, very articulate and punchy

damn you blargh, I'm now loking at AT3035!!! :mad:
:)

how come you chose that mic? I haven't heard a lot about, when it comes to relativelly cheap condensers, most people recommend the sehn e609 for electric guitar micing... have you tried any other condensers?

I just saw one, brand new on eBay, 139$ and 21$ for shipping to croatia.
I found one shop in croatia that has them, it costs 504$. :lol::lol::freak::freak: OMG, the prices overhere....

• Members
he did a dream theater cover with his IIC+ preamp clone with some sort of cab sim, sounded amazing, very articulate and punchy

damn you blargh, I'm now loking at AT3035!!!
:mad:
:)

how come you chose that mic? I haven't heard a lot about, when it comes to relativelly cheap condensers, most people recommend the sehn e609 for electric guitar micing... have you tried any other condensers?

I just saw one, brand new on eBay, 139$ and 21$ for shipping to croatia.

I found one shop in croatia that has them, it costs 504$.
:lol:
:lol:
:freak:
:freak: OMG, the prices overhere....

I think the e609 is dynamic isn't it?
I wanted a cheap condenser so I could mic whatever noise-makers I have in my house, including acoustic guitar, vocals, etc. Dynamics don't seem like a very popular choice for recording those... The AT3035 has pretty good reviews everwhere and its $200, so hey, seemed like a good choice to me.

• Members

I wanted a cheap condenser so I could mic whatever noise-makers I have in my house, including acoustic guitar, vocals, etc. Dynamics don't seem like a very popular choice for recording those... The AT3035 has pretty good reviews everwhere and its $200, so hey, seemed like a good choice to me.

You're correct...I don't think he meant to imply the e609 is a condenser, he just used poor wording. Not alot of people use a condenser for electric guitar because ideally you have an amp cranked and you probably don't want a condenser close to a cranked amp. So unless you want to get alot of room sound you wouldn't have much use for one. Plus, dynamics can give a punchier sound, while a condenser will tend to be smoother and a bit more "passive". But what you did here sounds great, no doubt about it.

• Members

sorry man, had a brain fart... to be honest, i don't know what i was thinking :lol::freak:

Archived