How can anyone take Avenged Sevenfold seriously?

bikehorn

• Members

This morning I'm eating breakfast and since I already read the paper front to back yesterday I took the unusual and unfortunately regrettable step of turning on the TV so I would have something to look at while I ate my cereal. As usual I was reminded why I hate TV. Like 238972 channels but nothing actually good. It was either going to be "Autoline Detroit" on Speed channel, or MuchMusic. So I flip to MuchMusic, aka Canada's answer to MTV only they actually show music videos. Sadly, they may show more videos but the quality isn't any better.

There's this {censored}ty band on playing a {censored}ty song in a {censored}ty video...the majority of the lines were "I'm not insane" and "it's almost easy". Sounded like another generic "modern rock band" like Nickelback or Three Days Grace or whatever else. I wanted to change the channel but I was busy eating corn pops and I remembered that nothing else was on. So anyway, this song had the slickest production I've heard in a long time, like these guys put Avril Lavigne to shame with the autotuning, obvious punch-ins, massive compression and all that {censored}ing harmoniser effect on the voice. I HATE HARMONISERS!!!!!! Almost as much as I hate Celine Dion.

Near the end of the song there was a "solo" that sounded a lot like someone was just punching the strings against the fretboard. I'm not even kidding. I keep hearing about how "great" the guitarists in this band are, but what the {censored} was this? It was like the intro to three different solos, each stopped after like a bar and half. After some more screaming/whining "I'm not insane" while random people in a crowd had their faces briefly turned into aliens or skulls(to emphasise the "insane" part), the video finally ended and they displayed the song title and artist, "It's Almost Easy". Prior to the end of the video I didn't know it was Avenged Sevenfold. I'd heard some of their old crap, didn't like it but apparently they have a new album out of late. Yikes. Who extended their contract? A Fergie video came on afterwards and I was almost happy about it by comparison.

So what the {censored} is the deal with these salad tossing clowns? I'm normally not one to 'hate on' a band I don't like unless they're shockingly {censored}ty. Why are seemingly all guitar magazine editors jizzing in their pants for these guys? Why are people who seem to have a half decent taste in music going nuts for this overproduced crap? :idk::confused:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

one word: image.

they portray themselves as successful rockstars, so the media picks up on it. then their album sales climb from the exposure, which then justifies the media position that they are successful rockstars. this is a TV generation, and since vision is the prevalent sense, vision takes charge over hearing. if we still only got music on the radio, they'd be {censored}ed.

it's almost like a pygmalion effect, only they portray themselves as rockstars, so we make them into rockstars.

now....i wonder what i could do for my image....J/K.

it's just show business, man. whoever puts on the best show stays in business.

• Members

Yeah...... it's funny..... I keep seeing Zacky Vengance and Synister Gates every month in all the guitar magazines.

So I finally checked 'em out on Youtube cause i'd never heard any of their music before.

It's pretty slick. A lot of groove changes. Time changes. Super fast dual lead harmony guitar solos.

Some of the melody lines in the choruses were kinda cheesy I thought.

I like it better than the gutteral screamo type stuff. At least Avenged Sevenfold have melody to their vocal lines.

I think they're a tight band. The music is pretty complicated.

I think Zacky Vengance is a really stupid name though. Very easy to make fun of.

It's not for me..... but I don't think they're awful and I certainly don't hate 'em.

• Members

they portray themselves as successful rockstars, so the media picks up on it. then their album sales climb from the exposure, which then justifies the media position that they are successful rockstars. this is a TV generation, and since vision is the prevalent sense, vision takes charge over hearing. if we still only got music on the radio, they'd be {censored}ed.

it's almost like a pygmalion effect, only they portray themselves as rockstars, so we make them into rockstars.

sadly, they actually used to put on a good show. now their ego is their show :cry: chumps for sure....rich chumps :(

• Members
This morning I'm eating breakfast and since I already read the paper front to back yesterday I took the unusual and unfortunately regrettable step of turning on the TV so I would have something to look at while I ate my cereal. As usual I was reminded why I hate TV. Like 238972 channels but nothing actually good. It was either going to be "Autoline Detroit" on Speed channel, or MuchMusic. So I flip to MuchMusic, aka Canada's answer to MTV only they actually show music videos. Sadly, they may show more videos but the quality isn't any better.

There's this {censored}ty band on playing a {censored}ty song in a {censored}ty video...the majority of the lines were "I'm not insane" and "it's almost easy". Sounded like another generic "modern rock band" like Nickelback or Three Days Grace or whatever else. I wanted to change the channel but I was busy eating corn pops and I remembered that nothing else was on. So anyway, this song had the slickest production I've heard in a long time, like these guys put Avril Lavigne to shame with the autotuning, obvious punch-ins, massive compression and all that {censored}ing harmoniser effect on the voice. I HATE HARMONISERS!!!!!! Almost as much as I hate Celine Dion.

Near the end of the song there was a "solo" that sounded a lot like someone was just punching the strings against the fretboard. I'm not even kidding. I keep hearing about how "great" the guitarists in this band are, but what the {censored} was this? It was like the intro to three different solos, each stopped after like a bar and half. After some more screaming/whining "I'm not insane" while random people in a crowd had their faces briefly turned into aliens or skulls(to emphasise the "insane" part), the video finally ended and they displayed the song title and artist, "It's Almost Easy". Prior to the end of the video I didn't know it was Avenged Sevenfold. I'd heard some of their old crap, didn't like it but apparently they have a new album out of late. Yikes. Who extended their contract? A Fergie video came on afterwards and I was almost happy about it by comparison.

So what the {censored} is the deal with these salad tossing clowns? I'm normally not one to 'hate on' a band I don't like unless they're shockingly {censored}ty. Why are seemingly all guitar magazine editors jizzing in their pants for these guys? Why are people who seem to have a half decent taste in music going nuts for this overproduced crap?
:idk::confused:

Yeah, I actually, gulp, used to like them, but I heard two of their new songs and thought they were contrite garbage. I mean, you can't just ride your cred from "Waking the Fallen" for several albums. I think the most annoying part is that all their new songs just have that unexplainable, sell-out we don't give a {censored} what we put out vibe to them. And it's not just their popularity that's {censored}ing them; lots of popular hard rock bands have made great albums; Def Leppard with Hysteria for example; they were the height of pop, but there was a reason they had 7 singles from that album; it was a killer album.

• Members

Exactly...

Avenge dont completly suck, but to me, yea they suck.

• Members

It's not the image. I hate the image, but I try not to let that cloud judgement. The song just happened to be
really
weak.

i haven't listened to it yet but i'll be sure to give it a go. i liked the majority of waking the fallen but only like 3 on city of evil. sounding the seventh trumpet wasn't all that bad but i lost that cd ages ago.

• Members

U guys can make fun of me allu want but i have to say that the song Bat Country is one of my favorite songs of all time, and i consider it to be an original melodic amazing piece of music. The drummer goes OFF and plays his ass off on this track, the guitar work is top notch and tasty, and the vocals are just amazing. Now saying all this i have to tell u that i went out and purchased this cd the next day after hearing it and i gotta tellu that the album is one big pile of dog {censored}. What a {censored}ing waste of talent. How can they write such an amazing song and put out that piece of {censored} cd? That song is {censored}ing kick ass.....

• Members

i liked waking the fallen. it was a standout record when it was released.

now the singer just gets on my nerves...everything is so nasal sounding, and the music went downhill. if the music was still fresh, i MIGHT be able to tolerate the nose singing. since that's not the case, i don't really have to worry about it.

Archived