2x12 Cabinets....Vertical vs. Horizontal?

Dimebag11

• Members

can you just stand up a horizontal 2x12 and take off the logo and call it a day if you prefer a vertical? lol:wave:

You can absolutely do that with a Dr. Z 2x12:

VAC50Z.jpg

You can't see 'em but there are rubber feet on both the bottom and the right side. Positioned vertically most Dr. Z heads fit perfectly on top.

• Members

I personally prefer vertical 212's. Better dispersion, smaller footprint, gets amp closer to me, sounds wider.

That said I have all horrizontal 212's I typically run them vertical to save floor space mainly. They look a bit funny, but who cares. I would love to get a mesa halfback 212 at some point, but I don't really need one.

I should mention that I don't have any full size heads, so the vertical approach works well for me.

I have also seen monitor wedge shapped 212's, the issue with them is that you don't have anywhere to put your amp head. I have an ampeg 212 like this, it does work well for getting the sound at my head.

• Members

suppose we were talking about a straight vertical 2x2. No angle.

Would an OS 2x12 be better? the Bluesbreaker design with the speakers angled upwards?

Why no slant? If you want the best sound dispersion from a 2x12, it comes in the form of a slant vert 2x12.

• Members

Yea, I've been thinking of getting 2 Vertical 2x12's (probably Splawn) to replace my 4x12 cabs. I don't gig ALL that much but, when I do it's nice to just fit everything in my car if need be. I can bring 1 2x12 and 1 head or bring both 2x12's and run stereo :)

I always get a hard on for this one picture around hcaf....it's of a diezel einstein on a road case with casters and a Mesa 2x12 Vertical on either side. Looks nice and pimp!!!! :)

Guest Anonymous

I don't gig, purely record these days, I have a 2x12 cab thats always upright. I've mic'd it countless times on its sidehorizontal and it just doesn't sound as good - never fails, the mic'd tone from the upper speaker when vertical sounds MUCH better, go figure, but thats how it stays. =)

Mic'd.jpg

• Members

i've got a pair of Legend 2x12s, and the speakers are mounted diagonally. The cabs are the size of a 4x10, made of oak, with wicker grilles.

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p146/one4rich/Doctor%20Bombay/?action=view&current=l_d5d93e31a52709a10c7ed9a0d4c2846e.jpg

Oak? That thing must weigh 150 lbs. :eek: Unless of course, it's white oak... which weighs about the same as poplar but is stronger...

Red oak is like the lead of woods.

• Members

My orange 2x12 sounds better when its on its end, rather than correctly horizontal so to speak.

Dunno why, but it seems to sound less boxy this way. I always run it on its end vertically nowadays..

I think its something to do with how your perception of it changes when the speakers are on top of each other rather than side by side..

• Members

Oak? That thing must weigh 150 lbs.
:eek:
Unless of course, it's white oak... which weighs about the same as poplar but is stronger...

Red oak is like the lead of woods.

I dont know where you got this info , but it is completely wrong. Red Oak is not a very heavy wood at all..COmparably I would say White and Red Oak are pretty much the same.. White might be a hair lighter. And this is coming from a guy who has installed about 2,000 red oak floors.. I cant remember the exact differences in weight between the 2, but it isnt very much.. You are correct that White Oak is "stronger" than Red..

I think the heaviest wood is Ebony. That shit weighs a ton. Brazilian Cherry is heavy as well..

• Members

My orange 2x12 sounds better when its on its end, rather than correctly horizontal so to speak.

Dunno why, but it seems to sound less boxy this way. I always run it on its end vertically nowadays..

I think its something to do with how your perception of it changes when the speakers are on top of each other rather than side by side..

It has to do with the 2 speakers side by side having cancelations. The cabinet will disperse more up and down if the cab is horrizontal, and will disperse more left and right if the cab is vertical.

In Vance Dickenson's Loudspeaker design cookbook, he recommends putting the center channel speaker on its end, so one driver is above the other. It does look strange like this....

• Members

It has to do with the 2 speakers side by side having cancelations. The cabinet will disperse more up and down if the cab is horrizontal, and will disperse more left and right if the cab is vertical.

In Vance Dickenson's Loudspeaker design cookbook, he recommends putting the center channel speaker on its end, so one driver is above the other. It does look strange like this....

Cool, i thought it might be something like this..

• Members

so far a vast majority prefers vertical
:)
Good, that's what I wanted to hear.

I want to get (2) Splawn Vertical 2x12's with Black Tolex/Basket Weave
Sweet and vintage looking. I'm not sure why vintage looks are so amazing to me, I play metal

Doesn't matter what style you play. Sweet and vintage is as sexy as it gets.

Guest Anonymous

+1 :cool:

I play shreddyfusiony instrumental stuff - the cab in the shot I put up was my dads back in the 60's, lol! Its a Fender Blackface 2x12 that he took good care of and gave me not long ago...funny thing was, he asked me what I was gonna do to it to alter the look...I said "are you nuts! Vintage is sweet! I change nothing!" I cleanedestored it as best I could, put a v30 in and the cab lives on. ;)

• Members

I play heavy stuff but I like the vintage look. The PV XXX cab I use has a black/silver weave grille that reminds me of some of the old Fender stuff. At some point, I'm going to retolex my MKIII and redo the front panel in the same grill cloth.

I also would love to have a vert 2x12 for some of the smaller gigs I do. Maybe I'll get an OS 2x12 so My MKIII will fit on top with the cab on end, and then still be sturdy enough to put a 4x12 on top of for a 3/4 stack. :love:

Archived