Laney or Fender as my first tube amp: Which?

KightTemplar

• Members

Hi folks,

AT the end of the month I am getting my first tube amp. I narrowed to Laney's LC15R and VC15, and Fender Blues Junior. But I have a hard time to decide.

I play mainly blues/classic rock, some rock instrumentals (Eric Johnson, JEff BEck, Steve Vai), and these days I am learning some metal. When playing metal my tone will be like early Metallica and Dream Theater.

My guitar is a 1984 Carvin DC200 and my pedals are Vintage ProCo Rat and DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp. I will get a Boss MetalZone next year.

Last but not least, I also play with clean tone a lot, so a superlative clean is very important to me.

So which above amp gives me better clean, and tonal flexibility for those styles I play when plugging od pedals?

Thanks a bunch!

• Members

Hi folks,

AT the end of the month I am getting my first tube amp. I narrowed to Laney's LC15R and VC15, and Fender Blues Junior. But I have a hard time to decide.

I play mainly blues/classic rock, some rock instrumentals (Eric Johnson, JEff BEck, Steve Vai), and these days I am learning some metal. When playing metal my tone will be like early Metallica and Dream Theater.

My guitar is a 1984 Carvin DC200 and my pedals are Vintage ProCo Rat and DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp. I will get a Boss MetalZone next year.

Last but not least, I also play with clean tone a lot, so a superlative clean is very important to me.

So which above amp gives me better clean, and tonal flexibility for those styles I play when plugging od pedals?

Thanks a bunch!

The Fender will give you the cleans you need, while the Laneys will possibly give you the distortion you need...

Either both or one and a treble booster from hell to make the distortion on the Fender more like distortion rather than some kind of alien puking sound.

• Members

My pick would be the VC15. None of them will make good metal amps...and I'm sorry if you're a fan of it but...for metal tones, especially the ones you're describing, you can do a lot better than a Metal Zone. It has its proponents around here who argue it only takes the right settings to get a nice sound from it but...I personally disagree. Just my findings, YMMV.

• Members

My pick would be the VC15. None of them will make good metal amps...and I'm sorry if you're a fan of it but...for metal tones, especially the ones you're describing, you can do a lot better than a Metal Zone. It has its proponents around here who argue it only takes the right settings to get a nice sound from it but...I personally disagree. Just my findings, YMMV.

I agree... I hear the MXR Dime Distortion is a beast... you may want to plunk down the extra cash for that, OP.

• Members

I know none of them are metal amps.............but's that's OK with me since I just started learning Metallica and Dream Theater's stuff anyway. My mainstay will always be blues/classic rock (Thin Lizzy, Led Zep, SRV), and if I gig it's going to be light stuff. I don't see myself playing metal in the short term. In short, I play metal only at home.

For MetalZone, I know you guys here don't like it stock, but according to the clips I heard it's not that bad, for me anyway. And if one day I don't like it, I can have it modded anytime. And I guess I need to specify about the metal tone I am after: early Dream Theater (think Images And Words), and old school metal. I am not interested in extreme hi-gain territory.

And as far as the overall quality of Laney LC15 and VC15 and the Fender BJ, I am wondering which one is better?

Thanx! ;)

• Members

Wow, i was thinking the same kinda thing. Although i dont play metal, just rock plus a little blues, jazz and funk. Also, coz im the UK, laneys are so much cheaper than fender amps. Only thing I'm worried about is the 10" speaker in those laneys not being loud enough compared to the 12" in the fender B Jr.

Very interested to hear some more responses!

• Members

I'd vote for the Laney.

Since when is Dream Theatre's
Images & Words
not extreme high gain?? John Petrucci used Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ amps on that!
:rawk:

That's hi-gain for sure. But you call it extreme? Not for me if you compare it with Black/Death Metal!

Come on people! I need ideas!

• Members

For MetalZone, I know you guys here don't like it stock, but according to the clips I heard it's not that bad, for me anyway.

I use a Metal Zone with my Classic 30 all the time, and I love the sound. EQ in the loop lets you modify the tone quite a bit. Used that setup like 6 years ago to record all the guitar in this http://boomp3.com/m/8151a62f5b24. don't remember if I was using EQ, think so.

• Members

I used to won a Blues Jr, I have always been a big fender fan so when I tell you this it's not because I am anti-fender, I have owned numerous fender amps in the past. But for what you are looking for I would go with the Laney, it will give you more versatility for the style you want to play. As for the Metal Zone I agree with others that have said there are other pedals that are much better sounding pedals to do what you want.

Good Luck

• Members

If you can stretch a bit further I'd consider a Laney GH and either a 1x12 or 2x12 cab. I use a GH50L with a 2x12 and it sounds awesome, so many good sounds. Really nice for cleans as well but its distortion is where it shines. Check out my sig for loads of clips. Whoever said Laney doesnt do metal obviously has never boosted a GH :cool:

Archived