Want to start recording on my computer; I Need your help.

Chrisjd

• Members

Guys, I want to start recording stuff on my computer so that i can share it with you and be able to save some work. The ONLY guitar application I have for my PC right now is the Line 6 Guitar port thing, but that wont let me record anything... I have some guitar mics at the practice space, but no recording software. Is there anything cheap or even free that I could download that would allow me to start recording my guitar???

Please and Thank you......

• Members

Thank you... I hope its not one of those programs that is overly-complicated for the average guitar player.... I dont know {censored} about sound boards etc....

at first sonar is kind of over complicated. if you want something easier that is just as good, get cakewalk guitar tracks pro 3.

• Members

You're gonna get tons of different opinions here. This is my rig for recording...it's cheap as far as recording rigs go:

SM57

XLR cable

Mic Stand

M-Audio Audiobuddy mic preamp (this think kicks for the money)

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card (also awesome for the money)

Decent computer running Cubase SX3 with EZDrummer

That's all you need man. I HIGHLY recommend learning Cubase...it's the standard unless you go with a full blown ProTools rig. It's also rock solid and easy to learn. You can make pro sounding recordings even with this minimal amount of gear if you hone your skills.

BTW...if you can't spend money on Cubase, Reaper does look awesome and is said to be the best of the freebies.

• Members

Guys, I want to start recording stuff on my computer so that i can share it with you and be able to save some work. The ONLY guitar application I have for my PC right now is the Line 6 Guitar port thing, but that wont let me record anything... I have some guitar mics at the practice space, but no recording software. Is there anything cheap or even free that I could download that would allow me to start recording my guitar???

Please and Thank you......

First thing I'd do is figure out what PC hardware you have, what program is gonna run best on it without so much lag you can't even play along without delay and then figure which app is most intuitive for you personally. I like my stuff near 4 track cassette simple but it's by no means limited. Post you PC's hardware specs ( CPU speed, RAM, free HD space, Soundcard, etc ) and I'll throw some suggestions at you. Also, how fancy do you want the program to be? What do you want it to be able to do?

• Members
You're gonna get tons of different opinions here. This is my rig for recording...it's cheap as far as recording rigs go:

SM57

XLR cable

Mic Stand

That's all you need man. I HIGHLY recommend learning Cubase...it's the standard unless you go with a full blown ProTools rig. It's also rock solid and easy to learn. You can make pro sounding recordings even with this minimal amount of gear if you hone your skills.

BTW...if you can't spend money on Cubase, Reaper does look awesome and is said to be the best of the freebies.

PT LE would easily beat Cubase SX3/LE/4 in the popularity battle but it really depends what you're going for.

If you want to be able to work with many other people/studios (i.e. Record a track naked at your house then bring it to the studio etc.), be using to be said 'the standard' in DAW's (digital audio workstations) and be tied down to only a handful of audio interfaces, go PT LE.

If you want incredible MIDI control, a huge verity of hardware configs as well as an extremely practical solution, go Cubase/nuendo.

Then there is SAW studio, Amplitude, Sequoia, Sonar, etc.

Undoubtedly the best 'free' DAW solution is Reaper, extreme control of what you're doing. Don't bother with audicy.

All in all, the DAW vs. DAW argument is worn out and over with. Every DAW can literally do what any other can, all depends whose hands are at the control station.

Or keyboard.

:o

• Members

SM57

XLR cable

Mic Stand

Thanks for the input, i got reaper and I am looking at that.

• Members

First thing I'd do is figure out what PC hardware you have, what program is gonna run best on it without so much lag you can't even play along without delay and then figure which app is most intuitive for you personally. I like my stuff near 4 track cassette simple but it's by no means limited. Post you PC's hardware specs ( CPU speed, RAM, free HD space, Soundcard, etc ) and I'll throw some suggestions at you. Also, how fancy do you want the program to be? What do you want it to be able to do?

thanks, I have...

HP laptop-2 years old.

AMD Athlon 64

1024 ram

100 gb hd

200 m radon express(thats graphics card)

Archived