Anyone here using a DLP tv?

blargh

• Members

I prefer my lcd to dlp. The cooling fans for the hid bulb in the back can get annoying while watching late at night with the volume down. VVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. That and it's just like the old projection tv's, you have to look at it from an optimum angle, or it is really dark. If I'm standing in front of it trying to catch some news, it's like the brightness is at zero, I have to kneel down to see the picture. LCD and plasma don't have that prob. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have the dlp. Something about the picture does look good though, I'm not sure what it is however. Looks richer than the lcd or something. If you accidentally turn off your dlp though, you are stuck for 5-10 mins until the bulb cools down enough to restrike, due to the nature of the hid bulbs in the projector.

Also, when I run my sony lcd in max powersave mode, it's only sucking around 100 watts, pretty miserly for a 42inch. I haven't checked the dlp yet, but that's 1/2 what my old monster 37 inch glass tube set draws, that 300lb glutton bitch! Totally off the coolness scale is that the sony tv has the same kinda menu system that the ps3 uses.

• Members

If you didn't see any rainbows on the sets you were looking at, I don't think it would be an issue for you. Some of the older DLP sets and projectors had a problem with this, but not everybody was affected by it. The only time I ever saw any rainbows was with a DLP projector on a 110" screen.

If you are really concerned about it, get the Samsung LED DLP.

• Members

I have a 42" Samsung DLP. I had to jump into HD somewhere and this was a cost effective place to start. Replacing the lamp effectively puts you back to day-one as far as picture luminance. LCD and plasma loose luminance until they die. The DLP picture is very good. I used Digital Essentials DVD to tweak it out. My DLP has problems with really fast motion -fast panning in a sports game or explosions in a movie become pixelated. View angle is critical with a DLP set - 10-15 degrees-I have a piece of 2x4 to angle mine down (it's up a little high in an armoire). LED back lighting of LCD has improved its black performance but I'll probably go plasma in a year or two.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

• Members

I have yet to see a DLP I like

THe viewing angle sucks, and you're basically looking at the reproduction of the picture on your screen, while with LCD you are looking at the actual picture.

Anyway, just me

But I find LCD much better.

I can see a picture on my DLP anywhere I can see the screen. It's not as omnidirectional as a CRT or some LCD, but if you're just poking your head in the room to catch a news/sports ticker or something then it's fine.

The big thing that hasn't been mentioned here is burn-in. While Panasonic published a paper years ago saying that their new displays don't suffer from this, some people still report some image retention. This can also effect LCD (both direct-view and projection), but it takes a VERY long time for it to happen. We've got some LCDs here at work that are used as status displays for equipment and after a year or two of the same image 24/7, they start to show some image retention.

DLP doesn't have image retention problems.

In the end, all current display technologies are a compromise, and you've got to pick what compromises you're willing to accept.

Dollar-for-dollar, DLP has the best image quality/size to price ratio. It also has the best picture to my eyes.

It also looks incredible (Samsung 1080P DLP) with the PS3!

Edit to add:

If you want to get the REAL skinny on all of the currently available displays, head on over here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Not only are these guys as nit-picky about video as we are about amps, but they actually have the test equipment to back up their opinions. That's why I went with the Samsung DLP. There are professionals on that site that calibrate displays for a living, and the Samsung DLPs (at the time) were able to be calibrated closer to perfect than any other display.

But that was 6 months ago and I have no idea where we are now...

• Members

yeah i live in earthquake central. i wouldn't want to mount my tv anyways.

That one isn't going anywhere. That steel bar coming down from the ceiling is anchored to one of the structural beams in the attic. It's not technically mounted to the wall since drilling through clay brick would have been a PITA.

• Members

As far as hanging a DLP on the wall, Samsung offers the new LED DLP which are about 10 inches deep and have a similar setup as a plasm/LCD so that it can be hung on the wall. As far as picture goes, I prefer the DLP over the LCD and Plasma. What I don't like is that you have to sit at the most optimal seat to really enjoy the picture. My room for the TV is a little weird and the majority of the seating is to the side. As much as I love the picture, I can't justify the viewing angles. Right now I have been eying the Samsung LED LCD. They are a little spendy, but the existence of dark and light in the same frame can coexist with great viewing angles and without consuming too much energy. That 46" runs $3999 at Crutchfield. Which I imagine I could find cheaper.

Cole

• Members

That one isn't going anywhere. That steel bar coming down from the ceiling is anchored to one of the structural beams in the attic. It's not technically mounted
to
the wall since drilling through clay brick would have been a PITA.

You obviously don't drill through clay brick all day long :cop: It's no problem at all.

Anyway, CRT generally has the best picture AFAIK, then there's DLP/Plasma/LCD i think. I have a panasonic 42" plasma and the picture is great, i get compliments from visitors all the time on picture quality. Oh and LCD has the best resolution if you worry about that.

I'd like one of the new Pioneer plasma's.. :love:

• Members

I have a 52" Toshiba, and it really is an awesome TV. You really only appreciate it fully with HD channels though. Mine has no rainbow effect, or whatever, and my cooling fan is so quiet, that you can barely even here it when the TV is turned off. It runs for approx 2 minutes after you turn the TV off, to cool the bulb properly. One disadvantage to the DLPs is that if you don't have backup power, and get a power cut while the TV is on, there is nothing to cool the bulb, and it can seriously affect the lifespan of the bulb. Even worse is when the power goes on and off several times in rapid succession. We had this happen, and the bulb popped. Forunately, it was under warranty.

• Members

No matter how hard I try, I get mad when looking at a DLP. I just cannot like them.

So since some people here appear to prefer DLP (surprinsingly, all DLP owners :rolleyes:), I guess one should make sure to go to the store and look at as many TVs as possible and make his own mind.

I don't prefer LCD because I own one, I've had my LCD for 2 weeks only and I've been looking at those things for more than a year.

Funny thing is my LCD is an el cheapo (32" Viewsonic) so it shouldn't be a fair comparison to a quality DLP... yet it wins imho.

The way my appartment is set up, I'm rarely sitting in front of the TV, and even with this el cheapo the image stays constant at almost any angle.

Only thing I don't like is that LCDs are so sharp that digital noise (artifact of the medium) is sometimes disturbing.

Archived