Anyone here using a DLP tv?

blargh

• Members
So since some people here appear to prefer DLP (surprinsingly, all DLP owners
:rolleyes:
)

You moron, that's why I bought one in the first place. Do you think you're special, and that you're the only person with enough forethought to actually check out all the options before buying?

Considering the initial cost and expense of repair, any slight advantage in picture quality of LCD is just not worth it. I personally don't like the look of LCD. It appears too harsh. Plus, I know a few people with LCDs that have dead pixels. As far as I know, this is not repairable. Hell, even my computer monitor which is less than a year old has a dead pixel.

• Members

i can answer all your questions.

i just shopped for tvs for a month and got a DLP.

The best TV in DLP by far is the LED DLP Samsung 56 and 61 Tvs they go for about $1700-2100 while on sale.

I ended up getting a 65" Toshiba for 1598 shipped to the door with no tax though. While the picture isn't as good as the Samsung I want more inches to out do my friends. :)

• Members
I ended up getting a 65" Toshiba for 1598 shipped to the door with no tax though. While the picture isn't as good as the Samsung I want more inches to out do my friends.
:)

That's the way I was thinking of going too.
Does it actually have 1080p sharpness? or is it kind of blurry?
If it doesn't have enough sharpness to show every pixel, might as well go 720p...

• Members

I personally don't like the look of LCD. It appears too harsh. Plus, I know a few people with LCDs that have dead pixels. As far as I know, this is not repairable. Hell, even my computer monitor which is less than a year old has a dead pixel.

There are about a million of those pixels on a 32 inch LCD TV. At a normal viewing distance I doubt you'd see it. I prefer as much sharpness as I can get, so the harsher the better. The focus can be adjusted easily, though, so harsh isn't really an issue. The resolution on my LCD is a lot better than what I saw at the movies the other day. You'd think it should be the other way around. Anyway, laser TV's next. We'll all have to sell what we've got to keep up.

• Members

I think any rear projection is going to be somewhat limited in viewing angle compared to flat panel, but they're a lot better than the old CRT rear projections were. They're also a lot brighter, I was surprised how bright rear projection can be.

I looked at the Samsung DLP a few years ago and the pixelation drove me nuts. I think it was the processing though, not the DLP technology itself, my sister just bought a Samsung LCD flat panel and it pixelates too, though setting it to game mode helped (according to the manual it "speeds up" processing, seems like a lame option though since I don't know why you'd ever want to slow it down :confused:). I ended up with the Sony LCD rear projection even though the DLP had better contrast (blacker blacks) because it didn't pixelate nearly as bad.

The new LCD flat panels in general are getting to be pretty nice though. The contrast seems to have improved quite a bit and they're getting bigger at a reasonable price. I want to check out LCoS though. I saw a pre-production one a few years ago at CES and it was amazing. Haven't checked out the production ones yet.

• Members

That's the way I was thinking of going too.

Does it actually have 1080p sharpness? or is it kind of blurry?

If it doesn't have enough sharpness to show every pixel, might as well go 720p...

there is some pixelation in it. but none in those samsungs. the colors are so rich its the ZOMGz! Anyways you need to look at contrast ratio too when chosing a TV. If you aren't playing video games you can get a 50" vizio with 15,000:1 with a surround sound system from Sears for $1299. Its a plasma though not DLP.

• Members

Anyways you need to look at contrast ratio too when chosing a TV. If you aren't playing video games you can get a 50" vizio with 15,000:1 with a surround sound system from Sears for $1299. Its a plasma though not DLP.

contrast ratio can be fudged and is sometimes a complete fantasy, just like the power output rating of some amps :cop:

• Members
I think any rear projection is going to be somewhat limited in viewing angle compared to flat panel, but they're a lot better than the old CRT rear projections were. They're also a lot brighter, I was surprised how bright rear projection can be.

I looked at the Samsung DLP a few years ago and the pixelation drove me nuts. I think it was the processing though, not the DLP technology itself, my sister just bought a Samsung LCD flat panel and it pixelates too, though setting it to game mode helped (according to the manual it "speeds up" processing, seems like a lame option though since I don't know why you'd ever want to slow it down
:confused:
). I ended up with the Sony LCD rear projection even though the DLP had better contrast (blacker blacks) because it didn't pixelate nearly as bad.

The new LCD flat panels in general are getting to be pretty nice though. The contrast seems to have improved quite a bit and they're getting bigger at a reasonable price. I want to check out LCoS though. I saw a pre-production one a few years ago at CES and it was amazing. Haven't checked out the production ones yet.

Like I said, I was/am really impressed with the Sony LCoS stuff. At the time, only JVC was also doing LCoS and the quality didn't quite compare.

• Members

Like I said, I was/am really impressed with the Sony LCoS stuff. At the time, only JVC was also doing LCoS and the quality didn't quite compare.

Agreed, I had the 60" SXRD. Beautiful picture but they have some issues with fans and the optical blocks.

That said though, I only replaced it because a local store mis-marked the 73" Mits and I got it for a hell of a price...

• Members

73" Mitsubishi here.....
:love:

knock-on-wood, no problems with it and a beautiful picture....
:thu:

yours is 8" bigger than mine!:eek::love:;)

to be on the safe side, i went with a 65" MITSUBISHI DLP because there is a tight corner to get around into the room. well, it turns out i probably could have got the 73" in there after all.:mad:

great tv though. HD looks teriffic. free delivery and a free matching stand

made it even better.

have you found a good deal on replacement bulbs yet? the tv is only five months old, but i would like to get one to have on hand for when i need it.

Archived