out of curiosity... what actually is a rectifier?

logansc

• Members

they switch over the power like exafro said.

Now the difference is that SS rectifiers do it quickly (i think 0.1 ms) and tubes do it slower (0.3-0.44 ms) thus giving you a power sag. Vintage amps used tube rectifiers and therefore had a different feel to them, and vintage nutters love that {censored}.

I could be wrong...But I don;t think my 1964 Fender Twin has a tube rectifier.

And it's NOT :tight:!

• Members

I could be wrong...But I don;t think my 1964 Fender Twin has a tube rectifier.

And it's NOT :tight:!

It does not.

A tube rectifier doesn't automatically equate a loose amp, and a SS rectifier doesn't automatically equate a tight amp. It's all about the circuit design, including the tube recto, but also the PT.

• Members

yeah, i don't know how you idiots got loose from sag. two totally different things.

i think the triple rectos have a diode rectifier, and two rectifier tubes instead of the dual's diodes and single rectifier tube. this is necessary to provide enough current to run 6 power tubes instead of four, AFAIK. that, or mesa just needed a good name for recto with 50 wattsmore than the dual....

3 rectifier tubes in the triple rec, 2 in the dual rec.

• Members

okay, so the triple rec has 3 rec tubes. I'm curious, does this mean its MORE saggy? or are they just to handle more power at the same amount of sag?

A single rectifier tube can only rectify a certain amount of current, so adding a second and third rectifier allows the amp to rectify much more current than a single tube rectifier.

• Members
okay, so the triple rec has 3 rec tubes. I'm curious, does this mean its MORE saggy? or are they just to handle more power at the same amount of sag?

Are we going back to you telling people "vintage amps have tube rectifiers", or should we just skip over that part an move on?

:p

• Members

All tube amps have a rectifier. All it does it turn the AC voltage coming from your wall into DC voltage that the circuit operates on.

okay thats what i thought

someone earlier told me i was wrong when i said that they all have rectifiers

or maybe it was because i forgot to specify tube amps in particular

thanks

• Members

3 rectifier tubes in the triple rec, 2 in the dual rec.

just went and checked, and that is correct.

both of those amps also have the option of using the SS rectifier. and the number of rectifier tubes is more a function of the necessary current than some naming convention.

Archived