Another guitar center letdown

Kramerguy

• Members
I just ordered it today, so can't say, not going to get it until middle of next week
:(

for the price and the amount of positive reviews across the board, I don't think I will be disappointed.

Duh, I just read the dates on your original post.

Now if only samedaymusic could have it at your door the same day!

Post a reply when you get it.

• Members
Truth. They bought GC because they've been profitable and stand to remain profitable for a while. It has nothing to do with eliminating them as a brick and mortar entity.

I don't think the holding company has any plans to eliminate GC as a bricks-n-mortar entity, at least not on purpose.

I hope they have the wisdom to populate the GC management with people who understand and care about the business. If they do, it'll be good for everyone... if not, it'll mean a bunch of "for rent or lease" signs at their current locations. :freak:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Duh, I just read the dates on your original post.

Now if only samedaymusic could have it at your door the same day!

Post a reply when you get it.

Got the amp yesterday. Only got about 3 hours playing time in last night but here's the review:

After playing 25+ years on solid state only, this is a new experience for me. I'm impressed with the warmth. It's got tons. Tones are pretty awesome, I felt occasionally like it need a little more 'edge' on some of the amp models (for that I went out today and picked up a Boss BD-2 Blues driver for that extra umph for leads and stuff).

The built in effects sound a bit lowbrow, reverb is shaky, chorus/flange is gritty, I figured I will end up reprogramming my digitech multi-effect pedal, removing the distortions and pre-amps, and just basically using it as a straight effects pedal now instead of an amp modeler.

The amp models are pretty damn good, I can hear the tonal differences enough to realize the models have far more depth than my digitech pedal ever had.

Whats really nice is the output wattage control. I can turn the output wattage low for playing low volume, yet still crank up the regular vol and master vol and really drive the amp without having to hit 70 decibels.

It's going to take me a while to get used to it, but so far, I'm impressed with this amp.

:thu: to the people who recommended it!

• Members
Got the amp yesterday. Only got about 3 hours playing time in last night but here's the review:

After playing 25+ years on solid state only, this is a new experience for me. I'm impressed with the
warmth
. It's got tons. Tones are pretty awesome, I felt occasionally like it need a little more 'edge' on some of the amp models (for that I went out today and picked up a Boss BD-2 Blues driver for that extra umph for leads and stuff).

The built in effects sound a bit lowbrow, reverb is shaky, chorus/flange is gritty, I figured I will end up reprogramming my digitech multi-effect pedal, removing the distortions and pre-amps, and just basically using it as a straight effects pedal now instead of an amp modeler.

The amp models are pretty damn good, I can hear the tonal differences enough to realize the models have far more depth than my digitech pedal ever had.

Whats really nice is the output wattage control. I can turn the output wattage low for playing low volume, yet still crank up the regular vol and master vol and really drive the amp without having to hit 70 decibels.

It's going to take me a while to get used to it, but so far, I'm impressed with this amp.

:thu:
to the people who recommended it!

Nice to see you come back with a review. Glad you like it except for the built in fx, and I think many times it's better to use another processer to get fx. :cool:

• Members

Yeah, GC has such high employee turn-over (because they're run like crap, I worked there for like 2 months when I was a wee laddie) that depending on when/where you walk in the service can be so drastically different.

I used to love the store by me so much that I got a job there. Havn't gone in in a few years, but walked in the other day to buy a 6-space rack and have a tech look at my guitar because the pickups are cutting out.

First I take my guitar to their "guitar tech" who tells me in so many words, I'm an idiot and Musicman guitars use active pickups and I just need to change the battery. I assure him that Dimarzio pickups are passive. He points out thebattery in my guitar body. I point out the piezo in my bridge that it is connected to and explain to him that the piezo pickups have nothing to do with the magnetic, that only the magnetic pickups cut out and that the piezo battery is brand new. A guitar tech ... who doesn't already know this. So I leave my guitar with him so he can look a bit further to see if it has a problem.

So with that I walk into the pro audio section to get a 6-space rack. I ask the dude for one and he looks at me blankly. He actually had no idea what a rack was. I had to walk him over to one of their little rackmounted setups, point to it, and say "I need one of these that has six spaced in it."

Buy the rack and go home. I get a call a few hours later that the guitar is ready so I pick it up. I get my guitar back and the tech says he checked everything out and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the instrument, it must be a cable or my amp or something at home causing the problem. I take it home and plug it into my Peavey. Pickups cut out. I plug into my Engl. Pickups cut out. I plug into my Fender. Pickups cut out.

Last time I'll go in there. Unless I'm dicking around an employee to try out a piece of gear I won't buy from him.

• Members

Its the same way around here.

I walk into GC, with roughly 4k in my pocket looking at JVM and some other high dollar {censored}. This guy was standing there talking with the other guy playing guitar through some line 6 amp. I walked around that store for almost 30min. in front of that guy and the other dumb ass's standing around. Seen this hot chic walk in with some guy, she walks over next to me as I was standing looking at some Les Pauls. This {censored}er turns to her and says can I help you with anything. My foot about went through his mouth I was so pissed off.

Spent 2500$ cash up in Indy northside. I walk in the dude that sold me the {censored}ing amp doesn't say {censored}, but gives me that look like he knows me. He should have sent me a {censored}ing christmas card for the next 4 years as far as I am concerned. You know we all spent hard earned cash on this stuff, most of us spend weeks talkinng with them and trying stuff out least they could do is remember us. Hell I didn't even get a call from him asking me how I was likeing it. Bad customer service. Its almost like a fast food restaurant, but selling music equipment. With horrible employee's.

Rant off

Later
Fire

• Members
Nice to see you come back with a review. Glad you like it except for the built in fx, and I think many times it's better to use another processer to get fx.
:cool:

When I wrote the review yesterday, I tried to stay focused on the positives, but now I'm going to focus on some of the negatives of the vox amp.

First, it has 11 amp models in it. Some clean, some crunchy, and a few between. I would say that if you are a blues player, this amp is pretty damn good. If you are a very high midrange player, this amp certainly does that too.

But, if you are in to 70's rock/hard rock, 80's hard rock/metal, or early 90's hard rock/grunge type of player, then this amp falls drastically short. Just screwing around with various songs, trying to mimic some tones, I failed to find anything even close to common rock sounds like black sabbath, rush (any era), metallica, judas priest, pink floyd, led zep (outside of bridge pickup, bluesy zep, the amp did that tone very well). I couldn't find a good tone for Iron Maiden, Crue, GnR, anything...

The lack of an effects loop forces you plug thru the effects, then to the amp. I tried every combination of order, and no matter what I did, all any effects did was muddy up the amp's sound. Even simple reverb or delay sounded like a goat being stabbed in the face with a pitchfork. This is probably the most damning thing about the amp.

My buddy is a blues player who was going to buy one of these, so he said he would take it off my hands (it's not available locally anymore, so it saves him the trouble of waiting for shipping).

My disappointment solely rests on the reviews that are misleading to the idea that this amp has "marshall" and "rock" tone, when it is clearly the polar opposite.

Archived