100W head into 60W cab?

medvejonok

• Members

You really need to ask?
:cop:

Yeah jerky, I've never run a high wattage amp into a lower wattage cabinet. For the things I'd use it for, I wouldn't need to run the amp all out. So, how about sharing some wisdom with a brotha? ;)

I was also thinking of the 120W cab with two Vintage 30s. Is this a better option?

• Members

Yeah jerky, I've never run a high wattage amp into a lower wattage cabinet. For the things I'd use it for, I wouldn't need to run the amp all out. So, how about sharing some wisdom with a brotha?
;)

I was also thinking of the 120W cab with two Vintage 30s. Is this a better option?

I'd go the 2 V30 120 watt cab, myself. Even if you run your amp about half power, the spikes could trash those speakers.

• Members

May I ask why you even bothered to respond at all? No need to waste your valuable time being a #&@% about my question.

With all due respect dude, it's a pretty goofy question. Amps and speakers have ratings for a reason. A teeny bit of critical thinking on your part should provide an answer for you.

What answer were you expecting?

• Members

If I hadn't done any critical thinking, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place, would I? It isn't an impossible thing to run a 100W head into a 60W cab. I just wanted some USEFUL and CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts from people here.

You're simply being a jerk for the sake of it, and I hope you feel better about yourself after your oh-so-very-witty jibes at my honest question.

• Members

If I hadn't done any critical thinking, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place, would I? It isn't an impossible thing to run a 100W head into a 60W cab. I just wanted some USEFUL and CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts from people here.

You're simply being a jerk for the sake of it, and I hope you feel better about yourself after your oh-so-very-witty jibes at my honest question.

No it isnt impossible to run a 100w head into a 60w cab. It is however harmful to what ever speakers you are running into it, this is pretty much common sense. This isnt a couple of watts this is almost twice the rated power of the cab and as we all know tube amps can peak at more than their rated power anyway.

• Members

Wow, you'll need a slightly thicker skin if you're going to hang around the internet.

Here's some useful and constructive advice. A cabinet rated at 60 watts means don't feed it more than 60 watts. An amp rated at 100 watts means it is capable of putting out 100 watts. 100 is greater than 60. Since you have no reliable way of ensuring your amp never puts out more than 60 watts, it's a bad idea.

There. Happy now?

• Members

Wow, you'll need a slightly thicker skin if you're going to hang around the internet.

Here's some useful and constructive advice. A cabinet rated at 60 watts means don't feed it more than 60 watts. An amp rated at 100 watts means it is capable of putting out 100 watts. 100 is greater than 60. Since you have no reliable way of ensuring your amp never puts out more than 60 watts, it's a bad idea.

There. Happy now?

Not particularly, considering the sarcastic tone. It is hardly worth mentioning that I can, in fact, do the math. My point was that I didn't plan to feed the full 100W to the cab, and I suspect that you knew that. By the way, my skin is plenty thick, I just don't tolerate obnoxious behavior.

• Members

Not particularly, considering the sarcastic tone.

Lol what sarcastic tone? It's freaking text. He spelled it out as simply as possible, and I agree, it should be obvious.

If you aren't turning it way up, then yeah, you aren't blasting 100 watts, but as he pointed out, how in the world are you really going to know when it hits or exceeds 60 watts? You could even exceed 100 watts, and maybe even DOUBLE the rated power handling.

You could just get a 4x12. That's the whole point.

• Members

I have a 200W 4x12 cab already, but I heard a Avatar 212 with the G12H30 and Vintage 30, and I liked the sound. So, I wondered if my 100W amp would be entirely out of the question. It appears that is isn't, as I expected, though I'd have to be careful, as I expected.

Still, I think I might just get an Avatar 4x12 loaded with two Vintage 30s and two G12H30s for 120W handling.

Thanks everyone for your input.

• Members

I like the voicing of the Avatar G212H Special cabinet loaded with one Vintage 30 and one G12H30, but this makes it a 60 watt cab, and I'd be running my Laney 100W AOR head into it. What do you folks think of this?

it is ok when your amp's wattage is higher than one of the cab, when vice versa it may kill the speakers.... but the thing is that if your laney is tube, tubes will not heat and effect your guitar signal

• Members

it is ok when your amp's wattage is higher than one of the cab, when vice versa it may kill the speakers.... but the thing is that if your laney is tube, tubes will not heat and effect your guitar signal

:freak:

That makes no sense at all.

• Members

Like everyone else says-- if you're not turning up, you'll be ok... but there are spikes, and if you're ever in the mood to go beyond where you've got completely clean power amp stuff going on, you're going to have a problem.

Possible? Yes. Advisable? No, not really, unless you're only going to use this cab for the bedroom and never ever play above TV volume.

Archived