Peavey Classic 30 vs. Fender Deluxe Reverb RI (DRRI)

escapethefate

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can't do that with any amplifier. Once you turn the global master volume down that sweet breakup goes away. If the power tubes aren't made to work, then there's no way that sweet breakup is going to happen unless you turn up the preamp volume. The only way to get what you're talking about is with an attenuator.

wrong, my jcm 600 you could get your tone on the clean channel with the channel volume and use your master volume for overall level. Master volume controls both channels-c30 doesn't have this feature.

• Members

wrong, my jcm 600 you could get your tone on the clean channel with the channel volume and use your master volume for overall level. Master volume controls both channels-c30 doesn't have this feature.

If so, that is exactly the same thing as a Pre volume, post volume. You're simply getting preamp distortion with your "clean" channel. There's no way there's breakup at a lower volume level unless there is. It's simple physics. If you keep going on in this way, claiming you're getting powertube breakup AND keeping your master volume low, prepare to be laughed out of here.

• Members

If so, that is exactly the same thing as a Pre volume, post volume. You're simply getting preamp distortion with your "clean" channel. There's no way there's breakup at a lower volume level unless there is. It's simple physics. If you keep going on in this way, claiming you're getting powertube breakup AND keeping your master volume low, prepare to be laughed out of here.

from peavey:

Classic 50 Series IS equipped with Master Volume.

Then teach him how to read the SPECIFICATIONS on the Peavey Product Web Site.....

• Members

I've got both, with a few different pedals you can eliminate the C30 alltogether. you'll have to go through a few to find your sound though. I highly recommend the Seymore Duncan Twin Tube Classic pedal...it really rocks (with either amp I recommend it). I also use an attenuator on the DRRI to get tube overdrive without pedals at lower volume (so sweet!!!) but even with the attenuator all the way up it is a bit loud for most bedroom players so pedals are a must for heavy tones. With pedals you can keep it quieter and still get heavy...with an attenuator AND pedals you can get the same heavy-at-very-low levels like the C30 pre and post controlled gain (but you sacrifice some tonal quality...still good but less than the real thing).

I'm keeping the C30 though because my LesPaul sounds GREAT with the C30 without any need for a pedal to get heavy, not that insane midscooped "brutalz" tone, but heavy like Zeppelin/Guns&Roses/Metallica heavy.

The DRRI is the better amp, clean to slightly breaking up all the way to hard rockin is amazing! If the house was on fire the DRRI is on my list to save right after the children, then the guitars...then the C30...

• Members

can anyone with a DRRI who uses pedals for dirt chime in and give me an example of what type of sounds you can get out of that combination?

To be specific on this question, I have four pedals for dirt on my DRRI. TS9, Seymore Duncan Twin Tube Classic, Route 66, Boss OD3. I use them all, one at a time, to get any kind of sound I want. You may pick a few different ones or use only one or two but you'll want more than one. The amp takes pedals really well and pedals are cheap. Get the DRRI, you won't ever sell it unless you take up crack smoking as a hobby.

• Members

from peavey:

Classic 50 Series IS equipped with Master Volume.

Then teach him how to read the SPECIFICATIONS on the Peavey Product Web Site.....

Yeah, and guess what happens if you crank the clean channel volume, and lower the global master to compensate?

NO DISTORTION, WHATSOEVER.

Peavey likes to relabel things and act like they invented it, such as "post" and "resonance" controls, both of which I believe they claim to have patents for. But that doesn't mean {censored}. It's still a master volume circuit and the exact same thing as a deep/depth control, or whatever anyone else calls it.

• Members

To be specific on this question, I have four pedals for dirt on my DRRI. TS9, Seymore Duncan Twin Tube Classic, Route 66, Boss OD3. I use them all, one at a time, to get any kind of sound I want. You may pick a few different ones or use only one or two but you'll want more than one. The amp takes pedals really well and pedals are cheap. Get the DRRI, you won't ever sell it unless you take up crack smoking as a hobby.

thx for the good answer...can anyone else chime in on this??

I love the DRRI for the fender name and for the tone but i like playing distorted sounds as well and it looks like i may have to fish out some more $$$ to get the DRRI with distortion...this is a really hard choice!!!

• Members

That's what the distortion channel is doing, ding dong. It's not two separate amps built into one.

Yeah, and guess what happens if you crank the clean channel volume, and lower the global master to compensate?

NO DISTORTION, WHATSOEVER.

Peavey likes to relabel things and act like they invented it, such as "post" and "resonance" controls, both of which I believe they claim to have patents for. But that doesn't mean {censored}. It's still a master volume circuit and the exact same thing as a deep/depth control, or whatever anyone else calls it.

what global master do I lower with the clean channel on 6?-there isn't one dipspit.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

That's disputing semantics in a pretty misleading manner.

The entire point of a master volume is to attenuate the signal after the preamp is overdriven. It's not to control the level of each channel unless it's a GLOBAL master volume. I've never once heard someone call that design a "post" volume in my entire life. The knob itself may be labeled "post" by Peavey, but the whole point is that the channel has a master volume circuit.

Everyone universally refers to single channel Marshalls as either having a master volume, or as non-master volume. In the case of it having a master volume, there aren't multiple channels to begin with, but it's the exact same thing as the distortion channel on a Classic 30. In the case of it being NMV, it may still only have one main volume control, yet it's stated to NOT have a master volume, ONLY for the fact that there isn't a way to attenuate the signal after the preamp so that it can be overdriven by itself.

So by that logic:

distortion channel = master volume circuit

normal channel = NMV circuit

Regardless, I don't see why that'd even matter if an amp doesn't have a global volume control. That's almost completely pointless, hence most amps not having it.

That pretty much sums it up.

They're both good amps, but I would go with the drri and a pedal.

• Members

You can't do that with any amplifier. Once you turn the global master volume down that sweet breakup goes away. If the power tubes aren't made to work, then there's no way that sweet breakup is going to happen unless you turn up the preamp volume. The only way to get what you're talking about is with an attenuator.

thats right {censored}nut-use a attenuator cause theres no master volume

• Members

the classic 30 has 2 weaknesses imo... the stock speaker suks and makes the amp very boxy and brittle sounding.... and it can be a bit of a noisy amp when on the higher gain settings. A v30 replacement makes this amp the best amp for the money. you can find a used one on craigslist for 300 or so. good pre amp tubes (i like the jj's for it) keep the noise down. c50 is a step up and if you get the 4/10 combo you don't have to do the speaker replacement. The c30 is the one amp that i can just throw in the car and take to any gig with only a footswitch.

the deluxe is one of my least favorite fenders. bassman is warmer imo.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

If the c30 had a master volume, you could crank the clean channel to 6 and get that sweet breakup and use a master to lower the overall volume so your not rattling the windows.

this is an old post but are you really this dumb? youre so wrong its not even funny

Archived