Rack gear, pedals, combo of both??? VOTE

Zachman

• Members

Actually now that I think about it, there should've been a choice for a combination of guitar + amp and pedals. I definitely at least use a boost or eq with my setups.
:)

that is what the pedals choice covered in my mind, your vote should've gone under pedals

• Members

I have a few setups that I use for different bands.

The band that gigs the most is straightforward soundwise and I play mostly rhythm guitar in it, so for that it's just a head (triamp mkII) and a pedalboard (silvermachine wah, keeley TS9, EVH phase 90, strobostomp. zvex FF). I stick a DD2 in the loop and use the amps footswitch loop control to toggle that on and off as needed. It takes about 2 minutes to unpack and setup this rig.

The other band I play in most often is industrial/gothic and that's the band I use my uber rig of doom for. It's still very portable though and sets up quick. Bogner XTC 101B, Axe-FX Ultra, Soundsculpture switchblade, pedal tray with EVH 90 and keeley TS9, amp gizmo. On the floor is a pedaltrain board with my FX1, 2 boss FV500's, strobostomp 2, zvex FF (this pedal needs to be first in any chain with no buffers, hence why it isn't in the rack) and VHT valvulator.

I use the same VHT fatbottom with P50e's for both rigs.

I also play quite often with either the triamp or the XTC and nothing else. Nothing beats the feel of going straight into the XTC.

-W

• Members

I use nothing but pedals now. I used to have a combination of pedals and rack gear. I used a Rocktron Replifex for time based and modulation fx and pdeals for wah and overdrive. Now I'm down to only 5 pedals, not including my Boss tuner pedal.

I found my rack setup was a bit over doing it for my style. I use effects sparingly and only need a few to get by when I do use them. I've got a Dunlop 535Q wah, a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, a Voodoo Lab Microvibe, a MXR Phase 90 (block letter version), and a Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus (non-LED version). I'm eventually going to add some simple type of delay/echo pedal, but I'm pretty set for now. I've also been kicking around getting a Dunlop Rotovibe in place of my VL Analog Chorus.

• Members

Pedals. I've yet to encounter a sound that I had to have that I couldn't do with stompboxes, and TC and Eventide have entered the stompbox market with units that can do a hell of a lot too.

There's enough compelling tones in the thousands of stompboxes on the market that I have no need to get into racks. I won't rule them out, but I'm satisfied doing it all from the floor at this point.

• Members

Hey Zachman,

You already have a lot of really nice MIDI guitar rack system and amp heads. I find combo amps and pedals equally useful for my "grab and go" guitar rig. Check this out:

Pic082.jpg
Pic012.jpg
Pic066.jpg

My 1992 Marshall 30th Anniversary 6101 1x12 combo amp w/ Furman PL Plus power conditioner & Rocktron Replifex. The pedalboard is a Digital Music Corp. (aka Voodoo Lab) Ground Control v2.4 (older version) and a modded Vox wah pedal. This is my simple guitar rack system and it works well onstage. I've added a VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply, an Xotic AC Booster, and a Korg DT-10 pedal tuner to the pedalboard recently. If I use the Rocktron Vendetta 100 watt tube amp head, I just take off the Xotic AC Booster pedal off of the pedalboard and she's ready to go.

PB45_010.jpg
PedaltrainPT-2.jpg

This is my rehearsal/jam night/small club "grab and go" guitar rig. It's completely analog and does a great job where I need a simple guitar rig with no MIDI controller needed. I love the sound of the VHT Pitbull 45/12 combo amp. I can get a good blackface Fender tone in the clean channel and a nice JCM 800 style overdrive in the drive channel. I use a clean boost pedal in the Pitbull's effects loop to kick it up a notch for leads.

You can use guitar racks, pedals, combo amps and amp heads, if you know what sounds you're after and if you want either analog or MIDI control to control your amp & effects.

Guitar GEorge

• Members
Hey Zachman,

You already have a lot of really nice MIDI guitar rack system and amp heads. I find combo amps and pedals equally useful for my "grab and go" guitar rig. Check this out:

Pic082.jpg
Pic012.jpg
Pic066.jpg

My 1992 Marshall 30th Anniversary 6101 1x12 combo amp w/ Furman PL Plus power conditioner & Rocktron Replifex. The pedalboard is a Digital Music Corp. (aka Voodoo Lab) Ground Control v2.4 (older version) and a modded Vox wah pedal. This is my simple guitar rack system and it works well onstage. I've added a VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply, an Xotic AC Booster, and a Korg DT-10 pedal tuner to the pedalboard recently. If I use the Rocktron Vendetta 100 watt tube amp head, I just take off the Xotic AC Booster pedal off of the pedalboard and she's ready to go.

PB45_010.jpg
PedaltrainPT-2.jpg

This is my rehearsal/jam night/small club "grab and go" guitar rig. It's completely analog and does a great job where I need a simple guitar rig with no MIDI controller needed. I love the sound of the VHT Pitbull 45/12 combo amp. I can get a good blackface Fender tone in the clean channel and a nice JCM 800 style overdrive in the drive channel. I use a clean boost pedal in the Pitbull's effects loop to kick it up a notch for leads.

You can use guitar racks, pedals, combo amps and amp heads, if you know what sounds you're after and if you want either analog or MIDI control to control your amp & effects.

Guitar GEorge

Heck ya...

Mostly when I go out an play it ISN'T w/ a ton of rack gear either. Grab and go is usually this:

boogie%201x12%20001a.jpg

• Members

Strictly pedals, but not out of any specific dislike of rack gear. I was looking pretty hard at a rack preamp for awhile. I just happen to like a few pedals that don't have real rack counterparts. Most of the rack gear is either too hi-fidelity for what I'm trying to do with that pedal, or not enough of an improvement to justify the expense.

I may put together a rack one day, but I'm not really planning on it. If it happens, it happens. Right now I'm in the middle of a transition from solid-state effects to tube-driven effects, and that's got me pretty strapped.

Not to mention I'm about to have to take out a loan to make a studio-capable multimedia entertainment center PC. My current PC, which fills all those roles, is very close to crapping out on me so it's a race against time to get a new one made before it dies because that would end my productivity 'til the new one comes along.

Luckily, this is a great time to be putting together a new computer. I can build a comp that performs about 90% as well in all applications as the literal top-of-the-line, $13,000+ desktop for only $2000 - and that's in all areas, from pure CPU processing power to real-time video applications to studio/production work. Not chump change to me by any means, definitely going to set me back, but that's a pretty huge difference from the last time I looked at piecing together a new comp when $2k would only get you about 65% of the way there if that.

• Members

I'm a fan of both.....

I've got my HBE Power Screamer, Boss NS2, Custom HBE wah, HBE Bytchn Swytchn A/B/C but other than that, I'm planning on picking up a G-Major for anything else I might want, would LOVE the G-System but maybe later. Right now my plans are....

ADA MP-1 3TM (on it's way)
Egnater M4 (soon)
VHT 2-50-2 (on it's way)
G-Major (soon)
Sloclone
Marshall Clone
2 - Egnater or VHT cabs (soon)
1 - Randall Cab

And for small stuff, I have my 2 Fender 1x12 cabs.....and just use the Rack in stereo with them.

But if I dont need the versitility I'll just go with my pedals and Slo....

• Members

I'm a fan of both.....

I've got my HBE Power Screamer, Boss NS2, Custom HBE wah, HBE Bytchn Swytchn A/B/C but other than that, I'm planning on picking up a G-Major for anything else I might want, would LOVE the G-System but maybe later. Right now my plans are....

ADA MP-1 3TM (on it's way)

Egnater M4 (soon)

VHT 2-50-2 (on it's way)

G-Major (soon)

Sloclone

Marshall Clone

2 - Egnater or VHT cabs (soon)

1 - Randall Cab

And for small stuff, I have my 2 Fender 1x12 cabs.....and just use the Rack in stereo with them.

But if I dont need the versitility I'll just go with my pedals and Slo....

Choices are SO cool, and you definitely has some nice choices.

• Members

I'd agree to that last - which is why I voted for both - I cannot see how I could be a purist on either racks or pedals if it did not suit what sound I wanted best.. thus I will mix and match... which is the reason I have pure heads (hiwatt and marshall) but also a triaxis and a 2:90 for variety and expandability. Same with effects .. pedals can do things well - you just have to look at the wealth of amazing pedals to tell that - for me i will just mention that eventide branching into pedals is a good sign that quality can be found in both - or BK butlers tube driver being released by chandler as a rack ... or a pedal..... but say, for a good eq, they are limited and a rack is so much more suited.. it really is horses for courses...

• Members

in a perfect situation, I'll use the rack with 2 Egnater cabs, and run the Egnater and ADA on each side with the Slo up the middle into the Randall cab (yea I know but I LOVE that cab. :D )

now how often I'll actually get to do that? I dont know, but when I get to and get it dialed in right WOW!, I'll bet it's gonna sound MASSIVE.

• Members
in a perfect situation, I'll use the rack with 2 Egnater cabs, and run the Egnater and ADA on each side with the Slo up the middle into the Randall cab (yea I know but I LOVE that cab.
:D
)

now how often I'll actually get to do that? I dont know, but when I get to and get it dialed in right WOW!, I'll bet it's gonna sound MASSIVE.

YUP, it WILL be WAY MORE MASSIVE and versatile, and the trolls will, with NO frame of reference, will tell you how it's stupid, and doesn't sound better. hehehehehhe I say, let them live in their dark ignorance, where there is no such thing as better equipment, or ways of hooking it up. :rolleyes:

:lol:

• Members
YUP, it WILL be WAY MORE MASSIVE and versatile, and the trolls will, with NO frame of reference, will tell you how it's stupid, and doesn't sound better. hehehehehhe I say, let them live in their dark ignorance, where there is no such thing as better equipment, or ways of hooking it up.
:rolleyes:

:poke:

:) Yep....

At least it wont be like most assholes around here.... "typical rigs" and then the occassional set-up like I know one guy who has the WORST tone ever, He's running a W/D/W set-up....ready for this?

Randall Warhead (set-up awefully) into a Behringer 4x12 and Ampeg 4x12, with his stereo set-up is a MXR Dime Distortion into a nady 31 band eq, into a Digitech GSP21, into an american DJ power amp into 2 Rogue 4x12 cabs.

I'll give him props for trying, but then I have to take them away for massive tone failure.

• Members
YUP, it WILL be WAY MORE MASSIVE and versatile, and the trolls will, with NO frame of reference, will tell you how it's stupid, and doesn't sound better. hehehehehhe I say, let them live in their dark ignorance, where there is no such thing as better equipment, or ways of hooking it up.
:rolleyes:

Is this your fallout plan from the crash-n'-burn thread in effects? I'm starting to wonder ;)

Archived