Shipping an amp? READ THIS FIRST.

JamesPeters

• Members

Here are some very important pointers:

- Re-use your original packing if possible. It might be the best solution. In the case of the original poly foam corners shipped with Peters amps, and their packing boxes, it is the most reasonable packing solution if the box hasn't taken damage. It's hard to get more protection for an amp than that. The foam corners don't get crushed on impact because they're not styrofoam, but they do absorb a lot of impact effectively. Also since the force of an impact is transferred to the corners--the most structurally stable parts of the amp, to which force is spread among three surfaces upon impact--even if it's an extreme impact the amp usually doesn't take any damage.

- Remove the tubes and wrap them in protective material, then put them inside the head shell. This is the way I ship my amps for good reason; I've never had an amp received with broken tubes yet.

- If you don't have the amp's original box and foam corners, find an appropriate sized box or don't ship the amp until you find one. Using an unusually large box means you'll have to fill it with more packing material to make it so that the package doesn't deform in transport, and it also makes it more likely the package will take more abuse in transport since it will be more awkward to carry; this can be a very bad combination. You want two inches of space between the amp and the outer wall of the package, or slightly more, but not very much more. If you have to use a larger box, be very careful about how you pack it and make sure it's a very good strong box in good condition.

- If a box is "soggy" from being used a lot, adding a lot of tape to it doesn't necessarily make it a better box. Don't reuse a box that's at the end of its life. If you want to make effective use of a worn-out box, don't ship heavy and expensive things in it; recycle the box instead...maybe give it to your cat as a claw-toy.

- Foam peanuts are usually not effective protection for use when shipping heavy amplifiers. For smaller or lighter things they're ok, if used properly (which they seldom are). They can protect an amplifier under "good shipping circumstances", but don't expect them to work well under average shipping circumstances. Foam peanuts shift if they're not packed very tightly, meaning the contents of the package can shift to a wall of the package where it has no protection other than a thin piece of cardboard (which is virtually useless when it comes to anything fragile). And packing foam peanuts tightly with something that weighs as much as an amp is nearly impossible since the amp's weight will crush some of the peanuts in transport, resulting in extra space and poor distribution of the foam peanuts. The load will shift, the box will deform and because of this it's more likely a carrier will drop the package (and since the amp is no longer protected well, when it falls it can bear the brunt of the impact instead of the foam). Add to that what happens if the package gets a hole in it (possibly because the package is starting to deform): the package can lose foam peanuts in transport, which is a recipe for disaster. So, do not use foam peanuts. Also they are super annoying to deal with because they're prone to static electricity and their crushed bits stick to your clothes, your hair, the walls, and so on.

- If you don't have access to "bubble wrap", wadded pages of newsprint make for reasonably effective packing material. Wad individual pages (or one sheet which contains two pages in the newspaper) fairly tightly; that is, don't wad several pages into a ball and expect it to absorb shock well.

- Don't forget to pack the box such that it retains its shape when the box is handled (use lots of packing material, and pack it fairly tightly). Double-boxing is a good idea, if you have a more tight-fitting box used as the "inner box" and then use packing material (wadded newsprint or bubble wrap) between that and the "outer box". Another good approach would be to line the box with "inner walls" of cardboard or styrofoam, and then use bubble wrap around the amp within that (as long as the amp fits snugly inside). A suitable substitute would be to wrap the amp well in bubble wrap (enough for about an inch of bubble wrap all the way around) and also use wadded newsprint packed tightly around the amp.

- Don't trust a shipping outlet store to pack your amp properly for you. Every time I've received an amp for repair or modification and a store has packed it, it's been a mess of foam peanuts and a too thin/too large/too-squishy-upon-its-arrival box.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
if I don't have bubble wrap or large foam pieces lying around, I always go with wadded up newspaper
:thu:

Large foam pieces may not be the best way to go either. Styrofoam can transfer shock more directly through a wall of the package to the amp. Used as corners it's ok, but using "walls of foam" isn't as good. Although I'd use a combination of foam walls and newsprint if the package is fairly large and I didn't want to be balling up newspaper all day. :)

• Members

can you buy those foam blocks some where, and then when you get them, custom cut them to fit the amp? that way, you kind of have the same protection as the amp originally had.

i figure if i ship an amp, i would do that and wad newspaper all around it, for even more protection.

• Members
Large foam pieces may not be the best way to go either. Styrofoam can transfer shock more directly through a wall of the package to the amp. Used as corners it's ok, but using "walls of foam" isn't as good. Although I'd use a combination of foam walls and newsprint if the package is fairly large and I didn't want to be balling up newspaper all day.
:)

hmm good point! I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I ship an amp.

I meant that plasticky sort of foam, not styrofoam (I'm not sure of the name)

• Members

Great post! I have shipped amps to different countries, amps heavy as 70s Twin Reverbs. I use the dual box method.

Step 1: Wrap head/amp in plastic bag. Then wrap with bubble wrap 2" minimum thickness. I then box amp with cardboard.

Step 2: I then put the amp INSIDE another box, with minimum 2" packing around. Usually use large packing peanuts.

EVERYTHING I have ever shipped has arrived safely with zero damage.

I must say, you can't argue with the original box. One reason that I usually don't accept amps shipped in for repair is that they are rarely packed right. Takes me too much time to get the correct materials and repack the amp. I lose money that way unfortunately.

- WOT

• Members
I always take pictures at various stages of the packing process to document how I packed it so I don't get some BS from the shipping company saying I didn't pack it properly. I've never had a problem with the 20+ amps I've shipped though.

:thu: Great idea, especially with all of the high dollar amps you ship out.

The people that generally bitch the loudest about UPS/FedEx/DHL, didn't know what the hell they were doing. Lots of packing material doesn't necessarily equate to bomb proof packing.

If you don't feel comfortable dropping the box from at least waist high then be prepared to pay the stupid tax.

• Members

I always take pictures at various stages of the packing process to document how I packed it so I don't get some BS from the shipping company saying I didn't pack it properly. I've never had a problem with the 20+ amps I've shipped though.

{censored}ing great idea:thu:

• Members

I have shipped a cab recently in a 52" Plasma TV Box, I had to downsize the box a bit, work the foam corners to make them fit the cab and I was all set.

These are good boxes, you can find them at any Electronics store. Try the smaller stores (not Best Buy..) these guys usually have them close.

These have very thick cardboard, I will ship cabs and amps with them for now on.

E-

• Members
Also, it is well to note that it is not always the fault of the shipper when an amp shows up damaged. Sometimes UPS (or whoever) simply throws the thing around and {censored}s it up.

There is also another VERY Important thing when shipping.. I know people say "use the original box", but I have had problems with this. Sometimes, more than what people think, {censored} gets STOLEN by the delivery guy.

The package must be well made, and discrete. If you ship a box which says diamonds!! on it.. the package could get "lost" ;)

E-

• Members

I've found that you can use newspaper but you have to use A LOT of it and make sure it's packed VERY dense on EVERY side of the amp.

Basically if you get it as dense as you can with your own hands...that's still enough "give" such that when it gets slammed into a wall it will compress just a touch more.

• Members

I heard there is a clause that if you ship through UPS or FedEx and it isn't in the original box or prepared by them, then the insurance bought for the shipping will be null and void. Thus if it gets damaged the insurance won't even cover it. Anyone else here this clause?

Cole

Archived