Low heavy aggressive growls- like a CATTLE DOG

petejt

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well if i could hear where you are at now i could point you in the general direction of where you want to focus. you do have an eq pedal going right?

now tell me who is in your avatar so i can google image stalk her lol.

I have an Alesis Q 5-band Parametric EQ in the effects loop.

I didn't get around to making a video last night. I'm in the process of moving, and have to put everything in storage as I don't have a new house yet.

If I get time I'll do it tonight, and use my POG as per utterhack's advice (it has sub-bass octave).

Oh, here is a larger size pic...

8atw57a.jpg

• Members

Its not EQ. EQ is adding more or less of a certain frequency. It won't change the inherent character of the sound. You might want to try a different amp or speakers.

But I have to work with what I got, right!?

As I said before, it is close but no cigar. It's just those further adjustments I need to BRING OUT the tone that is already there. I just don't know what. Turning up the lower end just makes it too bassy, and turning up higher frequencies, makes it sound too high. I can't find that frequency range that sounds like my dog growling.

Well, really I'm not trying to emulate my dog. It's just that, the sound of my dog growling is a really good example of the guitar tone I am trying to get.

• Members

But I have to work with what I got, right!?

As I said before, it is close but no cigar. It's just those further adjustments I need to BRING OUT the tone that is already there. I just don't know what. Turning up the lower end just makes it too bassy, and turning up higher frequencies, makes it sound too high. I can't find that frequency range that sounds like my dog growling.

Well, really I'm not trying to emulate my dog. It's just that, the sound of my dog growling is a really good example of the guitar tone I am trying to get.

Try an EQ in FRONT of the amp and boost 300 by about 5 db, cut 1,000 or so about 3 db, and boost 3k by about 3 db. It'll make your overall sound more guttural and gritty, as you described. I don't know the exact characteristics of your amp, so play with it until you find it. It's in there.

• Members

Hey, I just went ahead and made a video.

The sound quality isn't too good, but sufficient. The main problem is that the volume goes down due to the compressor. I had the Fireball's master on 12 o'clock, the windows were rattling!

I apologise for the mess- I am gonna move house tomorrow so everything is all over the place. Also I REALLY need a shave and haircut. Also my voice sounds kinda odd in the vid... I should have introduced myself better in it.

Anyway, here it is. I noticed that some new advice has been put up by some of you- thanks! :thu: I'll read them tonight.

[YOUTUBE]FcRSSRQl56w[/YOUTUBE]

Halfway through you will hear me say when I switch on the POG for that sub-bass effect, to try that out.

• Members

Here's the parametric EQ settings

Hey, I just went ahead and made a video.

The sound quality isn't too good, but sufficient. The main problem is that the volume goes down due to the compressor. I had the Fireball's master on 12 o'clock, the windows were rattling!

I apologise for the mess- I am gonna move house tomorrow so everything is all over the place. Also I REALLY need a shave and haircut. Also my voice sounds kinda odd in the vid... I should have introduced myself better in it.

Anyway, here it is. I noticed that some new advice has been put up by some of you- thanks! :thu: I'll read them tonight.

[YOUTUBE]FcRSSRQl56w[/YOUTUBE]

Here are the parametric EQ settings

400Hz-> Q = 1.6, Gain = -15dB

200Hz-> Q = 1.1, Gain = +12dB

290Hz-> Q = 1.6, Gain = +7.5dB

3.8kHz-> Q = 1.3, Gain = +2.5B

5kHz-> Q = 1.6, Gain = +10dB

Lo Cut = 75Hz

High Cut = 12.5Hz

Level = 0

Amp settings

Gain- 9:30 o'clock

Bass- 3 o'clock

Middle- 4 o'clock

Treble- 10:30 o'clock

Presence- 11 o'clock

Master (B) 12 o'clock

Both Bright and Depth switches are OFF

• Members

Hmmm...I didn't think you were quite that serious about the dog comparison :D

Is there any actual guitar sound that's closer to what's in your head? That might be a bit easier for folks to work with and provide suggestions for.

• Members
Hmmm...I didn't think you were quite that serious about the dog comparison
:D

Is there any actual guitar sound that's closer to what's in your head? That might be a bit easier for folks to work with and provide suggestions for.

Yup I am serious :) . That growl Ruby has is pretty much spot-on on the tone I have in my head. That is why I recorded her and used it here as an example to demonstrate. It's what I want to dovetail with my MarkIV, as that pretty much covers the rest of my tone (which is a huge amount). In fact the MarkIV can probably get the tone I am seeking, but the MarkIV is too throaty and snarly when approaching that area (like a higher-pitched bark/growl). And anyway I don't the MarkIV to do that tone anyway.

I cannot think of any actual guitar tones that are close to what is in my head.

I thought the 1st video would make it easier for me to explain, rather than my method of using words phonetically, such as "growly", "raaauuggghing", "roar", etc. Basically just listen to the tone of Ruby's growl and match that in a guitar tone.

• Members

after the clean intro. Wolf kicks in an Mutron octave divider for awhile, but he describes the sound as a puking cow though?

youtube.com/watch?v=f2ExGUX2-v4

What amp are they using for the clean tone. Sounds very pristine clean :love:

A Roland Jazz Chorus 120.

[YOUTUBE]f2ExGUX2-v4[/YOUTUBE]

Wooohhhhhh! :eek: I'm listening to the "puking cow" bit as I type. Very odd, but unique! :cool: Indeed it does actually sound like a cow chundering its guts out. The envelope filtering wah-like effect gives that cow MOOOO sound, but the octaving and distorted fuzz adds that "sick" feeling, that guttural puking squawk.

I love the Marshally crunch tone in the main riff! :rawk: I also hear a slight synthy effect mixed slightly into the tone. Sounds great :cool: .

• Members

Wooohhhhhh!
:eek:
I'm listening to the "puking cow" bit as I type. Very odd, but unique!
:cool:
Indeed it does actually sound like a cow chundering its guts out. The envelope filtering wah-like effect gives that cow MOOOO sound, but the octaving and distorted fuzz adds that "sick" feeling, that guttural puking
squawk

I love the Marshally crunch tone in the main riff!
:rawk:
I also hear a slight synthy effect mixed slightly into the tone. Sounds great
:cool:

never thought about the clean, i've got the album and me record has a scratch on the clean part so i all i ever hear is the puking cow.

i just know Wolf Hoffmann is a Badass! every single guitar riff on that album are all his.

far as i know they're pretty much Marshall, but that youtube clip was an album take so sure enough could been a deferent amp for the clean part.

i want one of those Mutrons pretty bad, i've tried a few deferent octave type doohickies and nothing will come close to doing that.

• Members

There's a solo by Frank Zappa called Republicans where he gets the nastiest growl EVER. it's on the "Guitar" album. He used a strat through a Marshall (I'm almost sure it's a Marshall) and nothing more.

You wouldn't happen to know what sort of Marshall, by any chance?

• Members

You wouldn't happen to know what sort of Marshall, by any chance?

He used a Super Lead. But I just remembered that I saw his Marshall on a DVD out of the 77 tour. Republicans was recorded in 1984. I think he had switched to Carvins at that time.

Archived