Low heavy aggressive growls- like a CATTLE DOG

petejt

• Members

With my Engl Fireball & 5-band parametric equaliser, I am trying to achieve a specific sound.

A very heavy, dark, deep, aggressive growl. Like my Red Cattle Dog, Ruby.

I know it is in there.

I am trying all sorts of things with the equaliser but just can't nail it. It's close but no cigar. :cry:

To demonstrate, here is a video I posted on YouTube. The sound in this is pretty much EXACTLY what I am trying to achieve. Please listen to it closely.

[YOUTUBE]E8ZNVi7txLY[/YOUTUBE]

I apologise for the video being too dark to see. I'll post a pic if that's needed.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

O_o;;;

tune to c or lower and use a heavy gauge string?

I tune to standard C# and use 0.013" - 0.058" gauge strings.

In fact the low C# is pretty much the same note she is growling.

I am trying to get the TONE the same. Does anyone know what frequency adjustments I need to make? Please?

• Members

How are you connecting the dog to the amp? Did you install a pickup?

I'm not!

I am trying to emulate the tone of her bark/growl on my guitar, as it is a pretty mean sound.

Sure enough I can get awesome heavy chug distortion on my Engl Fireball, it was MADE to do just that!

But I am struggling to get the voicing/frequencies right. I don't want it getting muddy or boomy, or harsh. Damn I can almost get this thing to sound like a scooped (or squawked) MarkIV but can't exactly get Ruby's vicious growl.

Please, help.

• Members

low mids, power tube distortion, not as much gain as you think, roll back tone knob on guitar.

Mids are cranked (4 o'clock), amp cranked, gain on 9:30 o'clock(!) (still heavy as fuk)

what EQ settings will help me achieve it?

• Members

no, i just kept thinking of new lines to add to my post after every edit.

Well then, could you now please read through my main post in this thread, listen to the video, and sensibly advise me on what I can do to achieve my aim? :confused:

• Members

i did, for the low rumbly growl you have to tune your lowest string to flub.

try it.

also post a clip of your sound so we can hear where you are at and give you better suggestions.

Alright. I'll do one of the guitar. Tonight sometime.

It's just that the clip I posted should be enough to describe what I am aiming for.

I am halfway there. I have the low end, the gain. It is sort of growly. But the TONE of the growl is not right. I really want the equalised voicing to be "raaauuggghh raaauuggghh", that sort of tone. It is SOMEWHERE in the midrange. But I can't find where.

Not "dooong doooong". Not "djz-djz".

I am getting frustrated that people keep talking about string tension, when I know that isn't a factor. It's the EQ I am concerned about- that is what I am asking for, EQ TIPS!

Archived