Are there any ESP guitars with thicker necks like a Jackson?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Only the M serie has extra thin U necks (19 mm at 1st fret), the other series (MH, H, Viper, EC...) have the thin U neck (20 mm). On the other hand, Jackson guitars (JS, MG, Pro series) have thinner necks (19-19.5 mm at 1st fret).

How thin is an Ibanez wizard neck in comparison?

I played a cheapo SG special with a little bit thicker neck that had a REALLY comfortable neck, and I'm looking for a superstrat style guitar with a floyd rose that has a neck almost as thick as that SG special...

These are the specs on the SG special I found:

# Thickness at 1st fret: .818"

# Thickness at 12th fret: .963"

• Members

ESP guitars necks ARE thicker than Jackson necks (20 mm at 1st fret vs. 19 mm) !

That's what I thought for the most part. Although Jacksons are wider in my experience. Actually I prefer narrow but thick necks. As much as I love the stylings and quality of the USA Jackson stuff I can't get into the wide® thin necks.

• Members

The ESP thin U necks are amazing imo i love them a played an ESP DV8 and it was one of the nicest guitars ever

I don't want really thin necks anymore. I've found out I'm more comfortable with a little fatter neck... more comfortable for chord work on lower frets, but doesn't slow down teh shredding...

• Members

I don't want really thin necks anymore. I've found out I'm more comfortable with a little fatter neck... more comfortable for chord work on lower frets, but doesn't slow down teh shredding...

Sounds like you need a jackson or maybe a schecter have you played a helllraiser

• Members

Different Jacksons have different neck profiles. The 2 HB neck-thru (SL2-H) models have a thicker neck than the SL-1 (H/S/S) "speed necks". The DK-1 (bolt-on) has the thinner neck profile as well. The Model 5&6 Charvel neck-thru's from the 80's have the thicker neck profile too. Jackson "Pro" and "Professional" MIJ guitars have the thinnest neck profile of them all. For the money..its hard to beat a Charvel Model 6...

• Members

Different Jacksons have different neck profiles. The 2 HB neck-thru (SL2-H) models have a thicker neck than the SL-1 (H/S/S) "speed necks". The DK-1 (bolt-on) has the thinner neck profile as well. The Model 5&6 Charvel neck-thru's from the 80's have the thicker neck profile too. Jackson "Pro" and "Professional" MIJ guitars have the thinnest neck profile of them all. For the money..its hard to beat a Charvel Model 6...

If I ever got a Jackson, it'd be an SL2H mahogany soloist. They have fairly thick necks?

• Members

what kinda wood you looking for

eh, something warm.... basswood, alder, or mahogany. it's hard enough just finding a 24 fret guitar with a trem that doesn't have a paper thin neck. haha.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a custom Gutierrez, but I just thought I'd check around to see if there's any other guitars I could do first.... but I think the Gutierrez is only going to run me around $1600, so this guitar would need to cost considerably less to persuade me not to get the custom made haha

• Members

Most of the neck through high end ESPs I've played are thicker than Ibanez Wizard II necks (RGs, USA Customs), and a bit thicker than Jacksons I've played (not too many).

The only nice ESP I know of with a thin neck was modified, bought by me (didn't know it had been shaved), striped, repainted white, and given to my friend. It's an ESP Horizon. Really a great guitar, but the neck was too thin for my tastes.

• Members

you should also think about the differences in neck profiles. ibanez necks are almost flat, where as my jackson's neck is a thin curve all the way around. have you looked at dean? they have thicker necks than jacksons, and you can get em with 24 frets and a floyd.

Archived