Blackstar amps?

xedgep90x

• Members

Just walked into GC in Phoenix. First thing when you walk in was a nice burgundy tolex "blackstar" full stack. I haven't heard of them. It had 4 inputs and 2 volumes like an old marshall 1959. I asked some usual moron gc employee about it and the only useful information I got out of it was that they are exclusive to gc. This makes me assume that they are a joke? Anyone tried one?

• Members

line i got was a couple of old timers over at marshall got sick of the 10 channel amps, solid state marketing, and all the corner cutting, so they split and started making their versions of the old marshalls they dig.. one i heard sounded alright-- it was an 18 watter combo..

looked kinda cool and vintagey. sounded like a marshall.. nothing magic, though.

more than that.. i dunno.. google!

• Members

Not a joke at all. I work at GC corporate (just in marketing, so none of the awful stuff any of you have experienced at your local GC is my fault ;)) and got to watch the guys from Blackstar demo a few amps and pedals. They sound awesome. Definitely Marshall-like, but a little more old-school sounding with more chime on the top end. They're very worth checking out.

Ps - I don't do any of the GC radio ads either, and yeah ... I know they're lame as hell.

• Members

The one I tried didn't strike me as terribly Marshall. Maybe like the old 18 watt ones, but more like something between that and a Fender, I dunno. It was actually kind of its own thing, as much as something that simple could be. It seemed nice and I liked how responsive and "elastic" the cleans were, but durn was it expensive, and I didn't particularly care for the distortion, at least at low to moderate volumes.

• Members

I can verify that they had a 1/2 stack and a pretty good sized Blackstar combo at the North Dallas Guitar Center around lunch today. I know this somewhat spurious reasoning but they had the combo in the fancy-pants amp/guitar room next to some used Matchlesses/Matchlii? and a custom Recto of some sort so I figured they must be somewhat decent.

Didn't play either but the visual build quality looked decent. The price tag suggested that someone thinks highly of them.

Incidently, lunch on Tuesday is evidently a great time to go to GC. It was quiet except for the soothing drifts of "Halls of Shambala".

Also, YMMV but they had the Epi ValveJR head on clearance for $105 new.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I currently run the artisan 100 through my 4x12cab with celes heritage vintage 30s (the handwired ones ) If your after a classic rock tone then this amp is simply stunning.(and very loud ).The comment about it being expensive is relative this is a boutique amp and is totally handwired and all valve. Simalair to an old style plexi it has the ability to jump wire the inputs and then blend the sound so your two volumes act almost like two tone controls.You can select from from 4 different amp styles which are very crystal clear ,warm clear ,brit crunch ,american crunch.this is done by altering the valve characteristics themselves giving you tremendous scope on tones. You do need to consider that this amp needs to be driven so you will need to have an attenuator for smaller venues (I use a thd hotplate ) putting a prs custom 24 through it i can switch from a lovely rock crunch to a fender like clean just by switching pups on the guitar itself and the dynamics are stunning.Our other guitarist runs a jcm 800 and was stunned by the tone.The designers are all ex marshall and have serious pedigree.Guitarist mag just tested the 30 watt combo and it achieved a gold award im my opinion it wont be long and blackstar will be a name that every rock guitarist will know.i do know that pat travers is using the stack with a blackstar ht duel pedal to play at the prs birthday party .To sum up I wont be changing this amp in a long time it really is that good for classic to hard rock.

• Members
I currently run the artisan 100 through my 4x12cab with celes heritage vintage 30s (the handwired ones ) If your after a classic rock tone then this amp is simply stunning.(and very loud ).The comment about it being expensive is relative this is a boutique amp and is totally handwired and all valve. Simalair to an old style plexi it has the ability to jump wire the inputs and then blend the sound so your two volumes act almost like two tone controls.You can select from from 4 different amp styles which are very crystal clear ,warm clear ,brit crunch ,american crunch.this is done by altering the valve characteristics themselves giving you tremendous scope on tones. You do need to consider that this amp needs to be driven so you will need to have an attenuator for smaller venues (I use a thd hotplate ) putting a prs custom 24 through it i can switch from a lovely rock crunch to a fender like clean just by switching pups on the guitar itself and the dynamics are stunning.Our other guitarist runs a jcm 800 and was stunned by the tone.The designers are all ex marshall and have serious pedigree.Guitarist mag just tested the 30 watt combo and it achieved a gold award im my opinion it wont be long and blackstar will be a name that every rock guitarist will know.i do know that pat travers is using the stack with a blackstar ht duel pedal to play at the prs birthday party .To sum up I wont be changing this amp in a long time it really is that good for classic to hard rock.

Great info, but please use paragraphs :freak:

• Members

I saw Viking Skull the other week and they were using Blackstar amps and cabs (and a DSL). Very Marshally and sounded good (although not noticabely better than the DSL). However the venue sound/mix was terrible. I was speaking to them after the gig and they said they always used Marshall amps and had the same techs fix them. However, those techs left to form Blackstar so now they use Blackstar amps. They said they were very happy with them.

• Members

I do still have a dsl myself and a rocker 30 and jvm and have to say that once you dial the blackstar in its in another league.
The main difference to me is the clarity of the sound even pushed hard every note stands out I play mainly rythym in our band and the bass player commented at our last practice that he was hearing little frills coming through that he didnt know I did .
I have used a jump lead between the two channels and blended them which I think made the big difference ( imagine using marshall crunch with fender twin clarity ) and ended up with a huge sound. It also makes you play better
as you cant hide the mistakes lol.

• 3 months later...

Archived