Best Marhall Amp Head

jward189

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
excuse me, but aren't Plexi's, JMP's, and Super Lead's just different names for the same amp, pretty much.

....f**kin n0oB

NO?!

A Plexi refers to the original plexi-fronted amps that marshall came out with, eg JTM45.

Super Lead's are the 100w single channel amps, eg 1959SLP.

JMP's can be later superleads or early JCM800's.

Going from a JTM45 to a JCM800 in "basically the same thing?"
:confused:

• Members

excuse me, but aren't Plexi's, JMP's, and Super Lead's just different names for the same amp, pretty much.

....f**kin n0oB

Actually. You are kinda right.

a 1968 100 watt guitar head would be considered a Superlead Plexi. aka 1959SLP.

However, Marshall pseudonyms get thrown around far too easily. For example the legions of people that are referring to the 2203 circuit amps (100 watt master volume) and simply say "jcm 800" when a 2203 circuit was also found in JMP's starting in 75. Also, There were 4 designs for JCM 800's the 2203, 2204, 2205, and 2210 the last 2 which were channel switching and had reverb. (just counting heads)

The easiest way of understanding is through common usage regardless if it is the correct description.

Superlead or Plexi = 50 or 100 watts non master volume, 2 channel head.

JMP = Big box 50 or 100 watt head with or without master volume 1 channel.

JCM 800 = 50 or 100 watt master volume 1 channel.

• Members

NO?!

A Plexi refers to the original plexi-fronted amps that marshall came out with, eg JTM45.

Super Lead's are the 100w single channel amps, eg 1959SLP.

JMP's can be later superleads or early JCM800's.

Going from a JTM45 to a JCM800 in "basically the same thing?"

:confused:

Plexi generally refers to a 1968 model 1959SLP. aka 1959 Superlead Plexi. They get the term because the circuit changed slightly in 69 as well as the plexi going away for an aluminum front.

JTM45's usually get their own designation.

1959SLP's are 2 channel. (All 2203's are single channel and are also superleads.)

JMP's can be superleads. JMPS's can not be JCM's.

• Members

My '73 50 watter has a " Lead" sticker on it , are the 50 watters "leads" and the 100 watters "Super leads " ?

73serial.jpg

front2.jpg

m1.jpg

This was a transition year right , just went to the PCB early/mid year IIRC first to go PCB was the 50 watter .Not that it matters to me other than what $800 more or so :mad: :poke: This amp still has original caps , going strong , really strong ;) one day though , maybe .

Without a doubt this is the finest amp I have ever had the pleasure of using , sounds pretty good with a guitar too . :lol:;)

Archived