does a superlead have as much distortion/gain as a jcm800?

Mxr20

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone got any easy plexi mods to add more gain .

Already got PPIMV.

I'm really interested in dave mods ? is there any site that gives you similar tone like daves mods have. I'm sure that he wont be telling away his secrets how does he do that.

Thanks again

One wire mod :D

• Members

I am surprised to hear people saying how much more gain the 800's have over the Super Leads. The 800's don't have a ton of gain on tap.

Some JCM800's have a lot more gain than others and this is mostly related to the lower plate voltage. Some JCM800's are very bright, stiff and not much fun to play on... Though with minimal changes this can be remedied.

I'm really interested in dave mods? is there any site that gives you similar tone like daves mods have. I'm sure that he wont be telling away his secrets how does he do that.

Dave has his way of modding plexis/superleads and if you really want that tone I would send your amp to Dave. If you want to DIY it then do some google searches, read as much as you can and then try everything. The only way you will know what you want is to get hands in experience and experiment.

One wire mod :D

I have known Dave for years and aside from the fact that he's a good guy, his mods are not that. We've worked on a few of his Modified Marshalls and he has some different ways that he likes restructure the gain, frequencies, etc. but it's not as simple as moving one wire.

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

I am surprised to hear people saying how much more gain the 800's have over the Super Leads. The 800's don't have a ton of gain on tap. Angus,Malcom and Eddie get that much with his/their JTM 45, Super Bass and Super Leads with no pedals. The difference is volume to achieve this amount of gain.

AC/DC do not use much gain

• Members

AC/DC do not use much gain

I feel like we are just spinning our wheels here. I think we can all acknowledge that the 800 is not a modern high gain amp. And that is what I think of when someone says that it has a significant more amount of gain than a Super Lead.

However, as I have thought about it, I have realized that the reissues do seem to have a lot more gain on tap than any original 800 or JMP (2203 or 2204) I have ever owned.

My experience on this board with the Super Lead is much more limited than others. But when I listen to early VH I haven't felt that I can get much more usable gain from my 800 than he was getting straight into his Plexis.

• Members

The JCM800 has a significant amount of gain beyond AC/DC.

+1. AC/DC's tone is pretty clean. (Ok, their mid-late '80s- early '90s tones are a lot gainier. They were running more modern rigs for a while.) IIRC, their tone is traditionally a JMT 45 on 5. Yep, halfway up. A Superlead/JMP/800 full up is pretty gainy. Not "modern metal" gain, but there's plenty on tap for hard rock.

JMPs and 800s have a fair bit of preamp gain. The rhythm guitars in this clip are a stock '76 JMP 2204 with an SD-1 out front as a straight up boost- level up, gain off- which isn't exactly adding gobs of gain. Preamp on 10. Master on 1, so there's more where this came from, if you turn up. JMP Clip

• Members

+1. AC/DC's tone is pretty clean. (Ok, their mid-late '80s- early '90s tones are a lot gainier. They were running more modern rigs for a while.) IIRC, their tone is traditionally a JMT 45 on 5. Yep, halfway up. A Superlead/JMP/800 full up is pretty gainy. Not "modern metal" gain, but there's plenty on tap for hard rock.

JMPs and 800s have a fair bit of preamp gain. The rhythm guitars in this clip are a stock '76 JMP 2204 with an SD-1 out front as a straight up boost- level up, gain off- which isn't exactly adding gobs of gain. Preamp on 10. Master on 1, so there's more where this came from, if you turn up.
JMP Clip

That sounds great! Although a bit too much gain for my tastes. Still though, JMP FTMFW. :cop:

• Members

I have 2 Superleads and a JCM 800. The Superlead at bedroom volumes is like "Smell the Glove" , its none more clean. Totally clean , big , fat, round, warm, luscious tone. When you crank the volume, it gets pretty dirty. Maybe its because my SLs have 6550s in em, but my Superleads dimed couldnt do 80s metal tones. Great dirty southern rock tones but not metal. The JCM 800 alone cant do metal either though. With the preamp gain on 10 and bedroom volume, it nails AC/DC tones. Both amps sound great boosted though.

Archived