does a superlead have as much distortion/gain as a jcm800?

Mxr20

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The amps can achieve similar amounts of gain, but the Super lead does not have a master volume, so you need to crank it up very loud to get the tubes to distort. The JCM 800 can get you distortion at lower volumes, but it still really starts to shine once it opens up. I still run a hotplate with my JCM 800 50 watter. It is a very loud amp.

• Members

For the record, a 2203/2204 (what people usually call JCM800s, but they actually came out in the JMP era) is basically a 1959/1987 with a pre-PI MV and cascaded channels. You can easily convert a 1959SLP to 2203 specs.

What that means is it has one additionnal gain stage, which means about 60 times more gain.

However, a 1959/1987 (Plexi) with a post-PI MV basically gains an additionnal gain stage due to having the PI before the attenuation (MV).

And of course you can always just slam the front end of a Plexi with boost pedal :thu:

• Members

For the record, a 2203/2204 (what people usually call JCM800s, but they actually came out in the JMP era) is basically a 1959/1987 with a pre-PI MV and cascaded channels. You can easily convert a 1959SLP to 2203 specs.

What that means is it has one additionnal gain stage, which means about 60 times more gain.

However, a 1959/1987 (Plexi) with a post-PI MV basically gains an additionnal gain stage due to having the PI before the attenuation (MV).

And of course you can always just slam the front end of a Plexi with boost pedal
:thu:

damn, that was fast and helpful as hell, thankyou :)

• Members

Oh, and Bray mods add gain (at least all of them I've heard and played).

But, I happen to think the Super Lead stuff sounds great as is and with a boost can get you to JCM800 territory easily, but I wouldn't push it to the "boosted" JCM800 territory.

• Members

Oh, and Bray mods add gain (at least all of them I've heard and played).

But, I happen to think the Super Lead stuff sounds great as is and with a boost can get you to JCM800 territory easily, but I wouldn't push it to the "boosted" JCM800 territory.

Unless you cascade the channels :idea:

And they call it the "one wire mod" that tells you how hard it is :love:

• Members

Unless you cascade the channels
:idea:

And they call it the "one wire mod" that tells you how hard it is
:love:

Is this just an internal jumper? Or is it a slightly more intense internal jumper?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brays/Hatcher/other popular similar mods aren't just adding PPIMV and cascading if it is the way to get to that territory...

• Members

Is this just an internal jumper? Or is it a slightly more intense internal jumper?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brays/Hatcher/other popular similar mods aren't just adding PPIMV and cascading if it is the way to get to that territory...

Well there are a few ways to boost gain, not all sound good though...

I'd rather just slam the front end with a boost, this way you can simply turn it off when you want the natural tone of the amp.

• Members

1959 is less compressed, as a bit more high end sizzle, a bit more low end roundness (or at least is capable of more roundness).

A bit less crunchy and a bit more overdrive.

I don't know if that last explanation makes sense... it's a bit less of the crunchiness and a bit more feeling the tubes reach limit and break down. A bit more natural feeling, more sag, I dno...

It's hard to explain. I guess I shouldn't have tried.

• Members

I just worked on a 1987x . Afterwards i was playing it and ran my homemade TS pedal in front of it (pedal gain 2 / volume 10) with the amp in's jumpered and volumes on 6 .

This thing NAILED the " Fair warning / back for the attack" type tones . That should give you an idea of what they can do with an OD pedal up front.

• Members

I am surprised to hear people saying how much more gain the 800's have over the Super Leads. The 800's don't have a ton of gain on tap. Angus,Malcom and Eddie get that much with his/their JTM 45, Super Bass and Super Leads with no pedals. The difference is volume to achieve this amount of gain.

• Members

I am surprised to hear people saying how much more gain the 800's have over the Super Leads. The 800's don't have a ton of gain on tap. Angus,Malcom and Eddie get that much with his/their JTM 45, Super Bass and Super Leads with no pedals. The difference is volume to achieve this amount of gain.

The JCM800 has a significant amount of gain beyond AC/DC.

• Members

The JCM800 has a significant amount of gain beyond AC/DC.

Like I said, that statement surprises me. I must not be playing the right JCM 800's. I do agree that they have more gain than a Super Lead, but my definition of a significant amount of gain difference would be comparing a Super Lead to say an SLO.

• Members

Anyone got any easy plexi mods to add more gain .

Already got PPIMV.

I'm really interested in dave mods ? is there any site that gives you similar tone like daves mods have. I'm sure that he wont be telling away his secrets how does he do that.

Thanks again

Archived