Mesa Boogie Road King II order status: Much sadness.

willhaven

• Members

So, I had gone into the Guitar Center a week or two ago to order a brand new RKII head. I wanted a black diamond plate front panel, chrome chassis, inverse knob colors (yet keeping the solo and single master chrome), and a blue light.

I got a call from the GC today telling me that their Boogie rep (who was out for NAMM) said that a chrome chassis can not be done on a Road King because the amp chassis is made of aluminum.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

So now my RKII will be like everyone elses with the addition of black diamond plate and a blue light.

{censored}. :(

• Members

I know it's not the same but could you not just have them screenprint a thin chrome control pannel and have it stuck on....like the brushed alu Marshall ones?

It's a compromise? They must be able to print on chrome....well they CAN cos they do!

That chrome chasis, polished grille one looks just like my mate Gizz's tripples. He had 4 but sold 2.

• Members

Doesn't look nearly the same. See attached pic.

Unless it has 4 channels, sparkling clean and reverb I'm not interested.

it has 3 channels, a BETTER CLEAN, and a BETTER reverb.

you actually get more on the fly tone options with the mark IV anyway with that onboard 5 band. you can get 6 clearly different tones on the fly as opposed to 4 with the roadking.

but if you have your heart set on the rk, get it.

• Members

That diamond plate is polished and looks like crap compared to the chrome chassis.

that's not polished. that's basically the raw finish as the sheet comes trough the press, with a light buffing to brighten it up. polished aluminum gleams.

example: eric.jpg

• Members

it has 3 channels, a BETTER CLEAN, and a BETTER reverb..

I disagree. I used a MKIV head for a long time. And my Road King II Version 2 is a far better amp. But the old RKI doesn't even compare to the new versions' clean and reverb, they are completely different.

willhaven, hope you get your RKII. Its a stellar amp even if it is a tad pricey. (I'll never part with mine)

• Members

Hmm...wanna give my rk a clean up actually before tour. It's a bit mucky and had lots of beer stains on it! (Don't shoot me...it's a hard working amp and I'm a hard drinking man!) I'll Back To Black the tolex but what polish can I get a gleam like THAT on the diamond plate with?

• Members

since when can aluminum not be chromed? it's chromed all the time. take all those tacky, fugly chrome rims on cars, for example.

it can also be polished to nearly the same finish, then anodized to protect it.

Well, apparently THEY don't do it. I'm sure they would have liked to take my $250 instead. Maybe they're not set up for it, maybe they outsource it and don't make enough of them to justify the cost. I dunno.

Makes me sad either way. Ah well, the black diamond plate and blue light will still be pretty cool I guess.

Archived