Furman "power conditioners" -- Necessary or waste of money?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Just curious. I'm going to be putting together my first rack setup soon, and have heard people argue both ways about the furman "power conditioners" (I know they technically aren't power conditioners)...

So, important or not?

Rack will be:

FAS Axe FX preamp/effects unit

VHT 2/50/2 or 2/90/2

Possibly ISP ProRackG

Possibly X2 wireless unit

• Members

Absolutely, if you're going to spend big bucks on nice equipment you owe it to yourself to get cheap insurance for everything. It's very nice to play without hearing any electrical hum coming through the speakers as well.

I'm getting a Furman PL-Plus II for my new rig, it's 199$ and used very often.

• Members

They're essentially glorified surge protectors that have lights on them and are rackmountable. The lights are handy, and it is nice to have some outlets right there in the rack, so if you need those things and have $200 burning a hole in your pocket, go right ahead and get a "power conditioner". Just don't think for a moment that your gear is impervious to electrical damage just because it's hooked up to one, and certainly don't expect them to do anything that resembles "conditioning" the power.

• Members

Kust don't think for a moment that your gear is impervious to electrical damage just because it's hooked up to one, and certainly don't expect them to do anything that resembles "conditioning" the power.

So are you implying that a Furman will not prevent any damages to the gear it's connected to?

• Members

they're very helpful i love mine ive never had any problems with it ive never had any surges with it and you can monitor your power coming thru which is helpful if you have a bad outlet:thu: ... also its essential to power any rack gear so you dont have to reach behind and turn them on :lol:

• Members

So are you implying that a Furman will not prevent any damages to the gear it's connected to?

Like I said, it's basically a glorified surge protector, using the same type of safeguards to protect against voltage spikes. There are some situations where it can save your gear (again, just like a regular $5 surge protector would), and lots of other situations where it won't. Go do a search or start a thread in the Live Sound forum and see what the guys there have to say about Furmans and their ilk.

• Members

Like I said, it's basically a glorified surge protector, using the same type of safeguards to protect against voltage spikes. There are some situations where it can save your gear (again, just like a regular $5 surge protector would), and lots of other situations where it won't. Go do a search or start a thread in the Live Sound forum and see what the guys there have to say about Furmans and their ilk.

It's cool, I was just wondering not trying to start a scuffle. :)

Although a Furman power conditioner seems to be a common piece of equipment in a professional (famous) musicians setup.

So, how would you recommend one would reduce electrical hum for recording?

• Members

well you're wrong and you're right, it just depends on the model. as far as the model in the picture above, you're wrong. many other furman models, youre right. You are speaking of are power conditioners when what the poster needs is a voltage regulator. I have one myself and have never had a problem whatsoever.

• Members

"power conditioner" is just a fancy marketing term for a surge protector. it is handy to have it mounted in the rack, and the lights are nice to have.

a voltage regulator actually regulates the voltage to the gear to around 117V and does so with input voltage from ~90V-150 or so, i'd have to look it up to be sure. voltage regulators are significantly more expensive than power conditioners.

FWIW, i have one of each in my rack, even though it's overkill.

• Members

I think they are extremely convenient in terms of logistics for setting up all of your gear. I think that is why most pros use them. My entire rack is prewired together and already plugged into the power conditioner. That way, when I need to hook up my rack, I plug my amp into it, plug the single chord from the power condition into the wall, flip the switch, voila. No messy setups or teardowns.

Takes about 3 minutes for me to set up my whole rig once the gear is physically moved into place. Great for shows. My old rig, which was a Twin Reverb and mucho stompboxes, with no main power source, was a mess. I had wires and extension chords running everywhere. Took me forever to get my {censored} together for a show. If that was the case for my rig, image someone with rig the size of John Petrucci's trying to plug in every individual little piece without the mounted power condition. Would take forever.

In terms of actually functioning to protect against damage, it is essentially a fancy schmancy surge protector.

• Members

unless it has a battery or a large capacitor bank, its not conditioning {censored}. there is no way to "condition" anything without having a reserve of some sort... which those cheaper ones dont have. they are nice for power distribution in a rack, but dont let their marketing fool you

• Members

Get yourself one of these:

Furman: AR-15 II

furmanAR-15.jpg

+1

The AR series are actually voltage regulators and do condition the power.

Steer clear of the M or merit series, those are glorified power strips. The PL series are nice, but if you really care, you'll get the AR.

I'm not just saying that because we're furman endorsers. For a comparable product from Monster, you'll eat up 2U of space.

-W

Archived