Furman "power conditioners" -- Necessary or waste of money?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

well you're wrong and you're right, it just depends on the model. as far as the model in the picture above, you're wrong. many other furman models, youre right. You are speaking of are
power conditioners
when what the poster needs is a
voltage regulator
. I have one myself and have never had a problem whatsoever.

I was referring specifically to power conditioners, which is what the thread starter was asking about. Voltage regulators do what they claim, but they have very limited applications in audio. It would be a stretch to say the poster "needs" a voltage regulator...99.9% of the time they're pretty much useless, they're expensive, and they're just one more thing that can fail, and when they fail they can fail spectacularly and damage other gear. Most electronic equipment worth it's salt is designed to be able to handle a reasonable range of voltage variation. If you've got a venue that you regularly play that has wild variations in voltage that actually pose a problem to your gear, maybe a voltage regulator makes sense, but that's like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound...that venue has a serious problem that needs to be fixed.

Basically, if you're in a situation that a voltage regulator is specifically needed, go ahead and get one...just be aware that the overwhelming majority of the time, they *aren't* needed.

• Members

I was referring specifically to power conditioners, which is what the thread starter was asking about. Voltage regulators do what they claim, but they have very limited applications in audio. It would be a stretch to say the poster "needs" a voltage regulator...99.9% of the time they're pretty much useless, they're expensive, and they're just one more thing that can fail, and when they fail they can fail spectacularly and damage other gear. Most electronic equipment worth it's salt is designed to be able to handle a reasonable range of voltage variation. If you've got a venue that you regularly play that has wild variations in voltage that actually pose a problem to your gear, maybe a voltage regulator makes sense, but that's like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound...that venue has a serious problem that needs to be fixed.

Basically, if you're in a situation that a voltage regulator is specifically needed, go ahead and get one...just be aware that the overwhelming majority of the time, they *aren't* needed.

well, i dont know about the op, but i play out a lot and some of these clubs are far from ideal. before the regulator, id gotten a good shock a few times even.

• Members

Do the Furman's simply tie any power surges to the ground terminal like most surge protectors? If so, wouldn't it make sense to get a surge protector with a replaceable fuse? (not trying to start a fight, just askin'...)

c'mon! put em up! thems fightin words! :mad:

• Members

5$ surge protectors do not have capacitors, comparing a Furman to a cheap surge protector is ridiculous.

I would assume professional musicians and their tech guys know far more about recording/audio and apparently I haven't seen many setups without a Furman or some sort of power conditioner.

The bottom line is, if you have an expensive rig. $199 isn't too much to insure your stuff.

• Members

5$ surge protectors do not have capacitors, comparing a Furman to a cheap surge protector is ridiculous.

I would assume professional musicians and their tech guys know far more about recording/audio and apparently I haven't seen many setups without a Furman or some sort of power conditioner.

The bottom line is, if you have an expensive rig. $199 isn't too much to insure your stuff.

I'd say the vast majority of the players I listen to aren't running any kind of power conditioners in their rig...in fact, the only time I really see them are in the rigs of those guys with those huge rack setups that think they need a rackmountable 1u coffee grinder and anything else they can find in their rig.

$199 isn't too much to insure your stuff, unfortunately if you spent that $199 dollars on a power conditioner you haven't really bought any significant insurance at all. You'd be better off spending $50 on a multimeter, learning to use it and doing so before you plug in to a shady venue's power, and spending the extra $149 bucks on booze.

Take a look at this thread, and keep in mind that Agedhorse has forgotten more about electronics than any of us guitar players will probably ever know.

(not tryin' to start a fight, just sayin')

:wave:

• Members

Get yourself one of these:

Furman: AR-15 II

furmanAR-15.jpg

I own one. Use it for every gig that I use my main amp for (A Mesa Road King II v.2).

Top spot of the rack:

8bbffe50.jpg

It does more than power condition: it keeps the voltage at a steady 115-120 volts. In short, no "brownouts" or "Power Fades" with the amp because it can't get enough steady voltage due to other factors (lighting rigs/other bandmates amps).

I plug everything into it, and I've had it clean up some real messy electrical interference in some places. A lot of gigs that I play at have building wiring which is most DEFINITELY not up to Code.

Plus, it will absolutely trip if you get a power spike. It's insurance if you've got equipment you want to protect.

• Members

I own one. Use it for every gig that I use my main amp for (A Mesa Road King II v.2).

Top spot of the rack:

8bbffe50.jpg

It does more than power condition: it keeps the voltage at a steady 115-120 volts. In short, no "brownouts" or "Power Fades" with the amp because it can't get enough steady voltage due to other factors (lighting rigs/other bandmates amps).

I plug everything into it, and I've had it clean up some real messy electrical interference in some places. A lot of gigs that I play at have building wiring which is most DEFINITELY not up to Code.

Plus, it will absolutely trip if you get a power spike. It's insurance if you've got equipment you want to protect.

I agree completely! Best investment I've ever made.

:thu:

• Members

I run out of a line conditioner mostly used for small servers, big printers, and such

The Tripp Lite LC1200, which is overkill for most rigs, but I acquired it when I was pulling a lot of current (Rivera Sub 2, Vetta 300W head, plus a bunch of other shit).

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=208

LC%2D1200%2Ejpg

It is not rackmounted, but it has saved my computer and my digital stuff several times (horrible power in the south bay).

And in the rack, just to distribute teh power:

RS%2D1215%2D20T%2Ejpg

• Members

I run out of a line conditioner mostly used for small servers, big printers, and such

The Tripp Lite LC1200, which is overkill for most rigs, but I acquired it when I was pulling a lot of current (Rivera Sub 2, Vetta 300W head, plus a bunch of other shit).

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=208

LC%2D1200%2Ejpg

It is not rackmounted, but it has saved my computer and my digital stuff several times (horrible power in the south bay).

And in the rack, just to distribute teh power:

RS%2D1215%2D20T%2Ejpg

That looks like a lot better investment than any of the furman stuff.

Archived