Framus Dragon Review and Comparion

Chrisjd

• Members

You can hear that the amp is warm and saturated in that first clip. I dont really hear any Fizz. The micing seems to be a bit weird though.

Also remember that those Clips are the Lead Unboosted.

When you boost it, its like setting the tone on fire, no other amp I have takes to boosting as well as the Dragon

I will say that i certainly noticed that the dragon likes being boosted more than the cobra, and the cobra takes a boost well.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No {censored}?
:eek:

-Ans-

a boost does more for the Dragon than it does the cobra yes. When i boost my cobra, I can tell that I am boosting it, but it isnt HUGE. When I boost the Dragon, i REALLY notice it, really pushes the amp into brootelz territory.

• Members

yeah i know i was feigning indignation. its all good, it was well worth the coin

3? man you got a fetish or something? some of those got love stains?

I'm selling the 07 one to Dimebag11. The oldest Version 2 one is staying and the 3rd version 3 one is the one that was used on the album End of Heartache. Its also not going anywhere..

• Members

a boost does more for the Dragon than it does the cobra yes. When i boost my cobra, I can tell that I am boosting it, but it isnt HUGE. When I boost the Dragon, i REALLY notice it, really pushes the amp into brootelz territory.

Yeah the difference in sound is retarded..Of course in a good way:)

• Members
You can hear that the amp is warm and saturated in that first clip. I dont really hear any Fizz. The micing seems to be a bit weird though.

Also remember that those Clips are the Lead Unboosted.

When you boost it, its like setting the tone on fire, no other amp I have takes to boosting as well as the Dragon

Definitely warm, yes, and not overly fizzy, but... I don't know, it just sounds kind of weak and flabby. It's not that bad, just not a tone I would want to have. And yeah, if I do get one, I'm sure I'd boost it.

• Members

Definitely warm, yes, and not overly fizzy, but... I don't know, it just sounds kind of weak and flabby. It's not
that
bad, just not a tone I would want to have. And yeah, if I do get one, I'm sure I'd boost it.

The Crunch Channel on both the Cobra and Dragon is tighter and meaner.

Thats the thing about the Clip that doesnt showcase the playing right to me.. If you want to play metal, you should boost the Lead Channel.

If you want just a heavy Rock sound for big chords (not alot of muting) the Lead channel works great for a heavy warm sound.

• Members

i have major gasfor a second framus head/amp.
any pics of the Cobra/Dragon together to fuel my gas?
im would love to get a dragon but having 2 high gain 100w amps might be extra severe overkill for me.
im still trying to find a CS head/ruby riot combo locally.

• Members

i have major gasfor a second framus head/amp.

any pics of the Cobra/Dragon together to fuel my gas?

im would love to get a dragon but having 2 high gain 100w amps might be extra severe overkill for me.

im still trying to find a CS head/ruby riot combo locally.

together, not yet but soon i will.

I'll post em.

• Members

What cab do all you guys use with your Dragon? Is the Dragon cab generally considered to be the best match?

I'm going to be buying a new cab and then a new amp soon, I want to buy a cab that'll go well with whatever amp I get...

they are supposed to be great with v30s. I loved it with my vht cab too and my splawn cab with the eminence speakers.

• Members

Cool, that's mostly what I've heard, I think. I know that a lot of people don't really like the upper mid spike/ice-pick of V30s, but I suppose that really isn't an issue with the Dragon?

Has anyone compared the Dragon 4x12 to the 2x12?

i downsized from the dragon cab to the CS212. theyre both 8ohm cab and i figured 100W from the cobra pushing two V30s at 8ohms would be better than 4 v30s at 8ohms.

they are very very similiar...obviously the 212 doesnt have as much lowend, however may be a bit tighter sounding.

ill probably pickup abother Framus 2x12 with a Framus CS head/or ruby riot combo and slave it to the cobra for a stereo rig.

still ahve dragon gas thou

• Members
i downsized from the dragon cab to the CS212. theyre both 8ohm cab and i figured 100W from the cobra pushing two V30s at 8ohms would be better than 4 v30s at 8ohms.

they are very very similiar...obviously the 212 doesnt have as much lowend, however may be a bit tighter sounding.

ill probably pickup abother Framus 2x12 with a Framus CS head/or ruby riot combo and slave it to the cobra for a stereo rig.

still ahve dragon gas thou

Sweet, I might have to get one of those :thu:. Then maybe add an 8 ohm 4x12 later on... :love:

EDIT: Holy {censored}, somebody scored bigtime on this one :eek:http://cgi.ebay.com/FRAMUS-4X12-SLANT-CABINET-Vintage-30-MINT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ120211226891QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Hey Chris, I was gonna ask you, what do you think of the leads?

I know when I asked you about the Savage you said didn't do many leads, just wondering if you had any impressions.

that savage did leads fine.

The dragons leads are nicer than the cobras, more fluid and sweeter.

I was rockin the cobra today. Dont get me wrong, i love the cobra just as much, it is so vicious and its rhthyms are just sick, as are its leads.

Either will do leads excellently.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Wanted to throw in a plug from an old fart for this amp - I know the main market seems to be you Nu Metal whippersnappers, that's all that's out there with this on YouTube, but I love this amp. The dude who said "buzzy" probably just wants that tight, stop on a dime sound, which this thing isn't really about (although a decent compressor, different tubes and/or a solid state recto could probably get you there).

My main amp for just about forever was a Seymour Duncan Convertible 2000 I bought new (for those in the know I just really dated myself) - this has a very similar Marshall/Good Mesa mix (the Dual Recto has destroyed/Creedified way too many decent bands).

What I would throw out to you young'uns is that metal probably will never totally leave your playing - I love to blaze a good sweep run or crushing rhythm past the 14 year olds in the amp room at the LMS - but if you're thinking about holding onto this sizable investment (1300-1500 used, low 2's new) then realize that this thing can grow and change with you, a Cobra really can't. I was doing shoegazey arpeggios and JBs funk on the clean channel, gritty AC/30 to ZZ Top on Crunch, and from Santana/Lukather to thrash city on the Lead channel.

I've played just about everything out there, and when I think about the best "Do it all" amp in the 100 watt category this tops my list. I just have an hour in at a music store, but I can't stop thinking about it. I can't wait to hook my Axe-FX and T Rex Mudhoney into this thing, that'll be the sweetest sound ever.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wanted to throw in a plug from an old fart for this amp - I know the main market seems to be you Nu Metal whippersnappers, that's all that's out there with this on YouTube, but I love this amp. The dude who said "buzzy" probably just wants that tight, stop on a dime sound, which this thing isn't really about (although a decent compressor, different tubes and/or a solid state recto could probably get you there).

My main amp for just about forever was a Seymour Duncan Convertible 2000 I bought new (for those in the know I just really dated myself) - this has a very similar Marshall/Good Mesa mix (the Dual Recto has destroyed/Creedified way too many decent bands).

What I would throw out to you young'uns is that metal probably will never totally leave your playing - I love to blaze a good sweep run or crushing rhythm past the 14 year olds in the amp room at the LMS - but if you're thinking about holding onto this sizable investment (1300-1500 used, low 2's new) then realize that this thing can grow and change with you, a Cobra really can't. I was doing shoegazey arpeggios and JBs funk on the clean channel, gritty AC/30 to ZZ Top on Crunch, and from Santana/Lukather to thrash city on the Lead channel.

I've played just about everything out there, and when I think about the best "Do it all" amp in the 100 watt category this tops my list. I just have an hour in at a music store, but I can't stop thinking about it. I can't wait to hook my Axe-FX and T Rex Mudhoney into this thing, that'll be the sweetest sound ever.

Awesome post ZZMOOK. I have to agree with you man. The Dragon is really an unreal amp. Not that long ago you'd be hard pressed to find an amp that could do what it does so well..

• Members

chrisjd, i want to be you. seriously, a dragon/cobra stereo rig has been my dream since i got the cobra. have you ever run both together? what were your thoughts? and did you compare the od808 to the green screamer some more?

Archived