Framus Dragon Review and Comparion

Chrisjd

• Members

Sweet sweet amp this dragon is.

Anywho, here are some things woth mentioning.

A. YES, the Dragon is brootal, ESPECIALLY with a boost and eq. VERY THICK.

B. YES, the Dragon cuts, probably as well as my cobra.

C. YES, the Dragon is tight and clear.

D. The amp Saturates beautifully.

E. YES, the lead channel has enough gain for modern metal, but a boost certainly helps get it sounding meaner and is more necessary than my other amps.

Every amp I have owned up to this point has been hyper-aggressive, bright, and with tons of high end(with the exception of my dual rectifier and powerball.)

The first thing I noticed about the Dragon was how smooth and tapered the highs were, especially compared to my other maplifiers. There is nothing "piercing" about this head, a very mellow and sweet high end, sweeter than any other head i have owned.

The mids and lows are where things start to get fun with the dragon. The Cobra and 5150 have a very barky, raw midrange that is very abbrassive and to an extent, "harsh", but in a way that i like. the dragons mids and lows are still raw, but more chewy, chunky, natural, and fluid sounding. I LOVE the mids of this amp, they are so ear pleasing. Pleasent to the ear, but still brootal as fuck.

the Clean channel is comparable to the cobra i suppose, but not as bright, cant say which is better, i dont care though they are both great. I didn't buy this amp for its clean channel, and frankly my 5150 II's clean is good enough for me.

Boosted, and eq'd, this amp is on par with anything else i have used, just different. Unboosted i wouldnt use it for my band, i would use the Cobra always, but boosted, the dragon is SICK, and is on par with the cobra. Not QUITE as aggressive as the cobra, but certainly more than enough.

Do I like this amp more than the Cobra? No, but I like it equally as much, it is capable of the heaviest of tones just like the cobra, but just in a different fashion.

I am a Framus man.....

P1010127.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice review man. How do you compare it to teh Savage?? Are you glad you made the swap?

Ya, know, if i was playing super tight death metal tuned to B or A, the savage 120 is hard to beat for its stop-on-the-dime attack. I feel though that the dragon is thicker and warmer, and works great for my C tuned guitars, plus it gets that same attack feel with the maxon.

The savage is more metal out of the box, but boosted the dragon is as much brootal as i would need.

I am glad i did the trade yes.

• Members

I'm kind of getting gas for a Dragon now... I love super thick and chunky tones
:love:
. But I also love bright, punchy, and saturated (like an ENGL Savage)
:confused:

Can't really seem to find any Dragon clips, though, other than shitty Youtube ones.

a boosted dragon will get those tones with ease. You can play it when we have teh ampfest bro....

• Members

I had a stock Dragon for like ...........2 years I think? Via my Mesa V30 cabs that amp slayed soem ass. I should have not sold it. I need to get one again one day, since I have learned the joys of the MaxonOD 808.
:thu:
Congrats duder!

-Ans-

I love the OD808!!!! It makes the biggest difference in everything I play.

I need me a Dragon soon!

• Members

^If I can make it I'll definitely check it out, I'm hoping I can
:thu:

I was planning on getting a Blackmore for a while, but now I'm not so sure. I've got gas, but I don't know if it's for a Dragon, Blackmore, VHT, Mako, Peters, or what
:lol:

ever owned a 5150?

• Members

Yeah, I had one for a few months with my G-Flex. It was brutal as all hell cranked, but it was kind of harsh and sounded fairly crappy at bedroom volumes. Hah, now that I think about it it's the exact opposite problem as my Mark III :lol:

I probably wouldn't mind owning one again, my rhythm guitarist might get one soon.

• Members

I wonder how close the cobra lead channel Dragon mod is to the actual Dragon's lead channel...

if its pretty close, then I think I'm going to defintely be modding my Cobra soon...

I like the cobras crunch more for sure, not sure about their lead channels though, I love both.

• Members

The Dragon is an intreresting amp. I used it to record leads on one of my old demo's. It really did have that Marshall/Mesa mix thing happening. The weird part for me was the feel. It has a bit more sag to it than a Marshall, which I think gives it that liquidy feeling.

Damn fine amp, but not neccessarily my style. I can appreciate it though. :)

• Members

The Dragon is an intreresting amp. I used it to record leads on one of my old demo's. It really did have that Marshall/Mesa mix thing happening. The weird part for me was the feel. It has a bit more sag to it than a Marshall, which I think gives it that liquidy feeling.

Damn fine amp, but not neccessarily my style. I can appreciate it though.
:)

glad to hear. the cobra seems more mesa like and the dragon more marshallish.

Archived