Framus Dragon Review and Comparion

Chrisjd

• Members

I wonder how close the cobra lead channel Dragon mod is to the actual Dragon's lead channel...

if its pretty close, then I think I'm going to defintely be modding my Cobra soon...

by doing the mod, you will have exactly the same tone stack

the only remaining difference will be a resistor going to the ground before the V2B gain stage

the dragon has a lower value resistor there, so it has a very subtle difference in saturation (less than the cobra)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You've got a PM dude, concerning your Bareknucks.
:thu:

-Ans-

I know man. I'll reply. within less than 24 hours of putting them up for sale I got I think 6 or 7 different people PMing me about them lol

I just borrowed a friend's camera so I can take pics of them. I'll reply or make a post about them and link you to it or something

• Members

I know man. I'll reply. within less than 24 hours of putting them up for sale I got I think 6 or 7 different people PMing me about them lol

I just borrowed a friend's camera so I can take pics of them. I'll reply or make a post about them and link you to it or something

OK. I forgot to ask one thing though,are they trem spaced?

-Ans-

• Members

OK. I forgot to ask one thing though,are they trem spaced?

-Ans-

Yes, the bridge pickup is 53 mm, F spaced. The neck pickup is regular spaced. All neck pickups on trem guitars are still regular spaced. It's just the bridge pickup that needs that extra width. They are also 4 conductor wiring so you can wire them up for coiltapping. I'm not sure if you asked about what they look like or not but they are just uncovered, open poled black pickups. I'm gonna make a post real quick so I can just link everyone who asked about them to it so they can read without me having to send everyone a big message. I'll PM you the link in a few minutes.

• Members

Yes, the bridge pickup is 53 mm, F spaced. The neck pickup is regular spaced. All neck pickups on trem guitars are still regular spaced. It's just the bridge pickup that needs that extra width. They are also 4 conductor wiring so you can wire them up for coiltapping. I'm not sure if you asked about what they look like or not but they are just uncovered, open poled black pickups. I'm gonna make a post real quick so I can just link everyone who asked about them to it so they can read without me having to send everyone a big message. I'll PM you the link in a few minutes.

Please do, because I can pay you immediately for them, that is exactly what I need, if you decide to sell them to me. Thanks man.

-Ans-

• Members

a little overly excited i think. that's my old amp... it was decent but nothing special. nice clean channel, lead channel was buzzy, crunch channel was pretty generic.... blah.....

Sorry man, but this thing isnt buzzy at all. Turn the channel volume up and the fuzz and buzz goes away. I am very excited because i am very pleased with the amplifiers performance so far.

• Members

Sorry man, but this thing isnt buzzy at all. Turn the channel volume up and the fuzz and buzz goes away. I am very excited because i am very pleased with the amplifiers performance so far.

glad youre digging it. its a good amp for sure. cant imagine an application it wouldnt be good for

• Members

Got to disagree on the buzzy lead thing too. The Dragon is the least buzzy amp I own besides my Egnator TOL. The high end is similar to my Diezel VH4 which is very smooth in the highs. No buzziness when you hit extended Power chords either.. Very Pure and detailed!

The newer one's are certainly buzzier sounding than the older version 2 and 3 models but like Chris said, it goes away when the Channel Volume is set higher. 2:00 and its gone..The older models, you can keep the ch Volumes at 12:00 with no buzz..The newer one's react alot more like a Cobra would so cobra owners will be more familiar with the newer ones EQ format

The Crunch is also a great great sound on these amps. It's very JCM 800ish and I can get great Slash GNR sounds out of it. The cool thing is how well it cleans up and also how clear the Chords are. Every note is completely transparent. It really exceeds any Marshall in this area. If you turn the gain down to 12:00 or so, you can do some great arpeggiated chord stuff and the breakup is very consonant and smooth.

The distortion is crystal clear and ear pleasing.

The other thing I love about the Dragon and Framus amps in general is the Resistence you feel when you play them. They make you work hard and really dig in. They dont back down at all when you play hard they just seem to sound better and better..

• Members

Got to disagree on the buzzy lead thing too. The Dragon is the least buzzy amp I own besides my Egnator TOL. The high end is similar to my Diezel VH4.

The newer one's are certainly buzzier sounding than the older version 2 and 3 models but like CHris said, it goes away when the Channel Volume is set higher. 2:00 and its gone..The older models, you can keep the ch Volumes at 12:00 with no buzz..

The Crunch is also a great great sound on these amps. It's very JCM 800ish and I can get great Slash GNR sounds out of it. The cool thing is how well it cleans up and also how clear the Chords are. Every note is completely transparent. It really exceeds any Marshall in this area. If you turn the gain down to 12:00 or so, you can do some great arpeggiated chord stuff and the breakup is very consonant and smooth.

The distortion is crystal clear and ear pleasing.

The other thing I love about the Dragon and Framus amps in general is the Resistence you feel when you play them. They make you work hard and really dig in. They dont back down at all when you play hard they just seem to sound better and better..

agreed. I also really appreciate how they make you play them. It is a very dynamic amp that really allows you to color it and personalize the tone to your playing style.

• Members

Hey, you should listen to the clips on Rocksolidamps (about the only ones I could find). How accurate does the shorter clip one sound? If that's what it's like, then I don't think I want one any more
:freak:

The demo clip has a sweet growl to it, though
:love:

That clip is WAY fuzzier than the actual amp sounds in person when it is dialed good. I am tellin ya, its not fizzy or fuzzy. just have to dial it in right.

• Members

Hey, you should listen to the clips on Rocksolidamps (about the only ones I could find). How accurate does the shorter clip one sound? If that's what it's like, then I don't think I want one any more
:freak:

The demo clip has a sweet growl to it, though
:love:

You can hear that the amp is warm and saturated in that first clip. I dont really hear any Fizz. The micing seems to be a bit weird though.

Also remember that those Clips are the Lead Unboosted.

When you boost it, its like setting the tone on fire, no other amp I have takes to boosting as well as the Dragon

Archived