OT: I just had one of the best beers I've ever had....

rememberduane

• Members

God I'd love to try that one day. How did you get started with it?

You probably want to start with a kit like I did, I think it was around $100. I'd keep all the hardware and ditch the ingredients they pack with it, that stuff has a shelflife and you want the freshest, best quality to end up with good beer. I got the yeast, malt and hops from a local supply store. It's more fun that way and I got some great tips from the brewer over there.

I'd also get a good book that appeals to you, the text that came with my kit was very generic and my brew would probably have suffered greatly if I went by it.

Once you've got the hardware, the actual brewing takes a few hours, the fermenting takes 2-3 weeks, and the bottling takes a few hours. After you've bottled it, you need to let it sit for another 2 weeks to properly carbonate.

It's about a month long process, but oh so worth it. Like I said, I'm going to do it again soon. I'm going to try and duplicate my first batch exactly, to see if it was a fluke. If it's as good as before, I'm going to branch out into other styles and see where that goes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty much any good Oatmeal Stout does that for me.

Along with Summit Mai Bock. Deeeee-lish.

Have you tried Summit's Oatmeal Stout? I believe it's a limited release, but I know quite a few bars in the twin cities still have it on nitro tap. It is awesome!

• Members

If you're from the east coast and ever get to try the Richmond, VA brewery Legend, jump at the opportunity. I love great beers and their Brown Ale is one of my absolute favorites, even compared internationally. And the irony is that it's brewed withing 10 miles of where I live.

It's great, try it!

• Members
Most will ship to you and wrap it like a present and not put what it is on the customs form... BUT if you get caught, you may have to pay a VERY large fine and could even face prison time.
:cry:

Not true. You won't get a fine or anything at all. What you will get is an empty package with a sticker on it saying that customs has destroyed the contents IF they catch it. There's really no risk except for the money.

• Members
Smithwicks or Hoegaarden for me right now.

You know, a while back there was a best beer thread here on the amp forum and a lot of people recommended Hoegaarden. I recently bought a six pack. This is a very solid beer. It's pretty light but full bodied if that makes much sense. Very good. :thu:

u-has-a-flavor.jpg

Archived