Boston Guitar Sound? Tom Scholz?

petejt

• Members
It's a similar sound isn't it? But I believe that tone, along with it's chorus and other eighties wetness that came with it, was from the Gallien Krueger GK 250.

I think this is it:

gk250.jpg

I had both the GK 250ML and the 2100SEL (100 watt stereo head). The reason I bought the 2100 was because Lifeson used the amp and I was enamored with his Chorus-y sound. It made the amp sound more like dual guitarists than the traditional chorus effect of say...a Boss unit. I think the Scholz sound utilized that technique also.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I had both the GK 250ML and the 2100SEL (100 watt stereo head). The reason I bought the 2100 was because Lifeson used the amp and I was enamored with his Chorus-y sound. It made the amp sound more like dual guitarists than the traditional chorus effect of say...a Boss unit. I think the Scholz sound utilized that technique also.

That's sorta what I want to do with my Rockman too.

And an interesting note- I thought it was surprising that Brian May of Queen actually uses chorus for his main sound. He uses a Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble, but similar to what you said about Rush & Scholz. It sounds awesome, doesn't cloud his guitar tone at all.

• Members

I remember when they came out, every guitar player on the planet at that time had one. you could recognize it's tone the instant you heard it. every song on the radio for a couple years had Rockman and DX-7 on it. as someone pointed out already the ZZ Top song "roughboys" has to be Rockman. this song is Rockman all the way, anyone who's owned one will agree I'm sure.
[YOUTUBE]FzQmXIGlRbQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

that is very very good/close.

Settings plz :lol

but seriously what'd you do?

plugging guitar to amp... LP, bridge pickup... tone almost all the way down (have the superpots from rs guitarworks) gain up, boost at half way.... low bass, treble at half, and mids up... also had it on the vintage setting which is kinda like a plexi i guess. Oh yeah, reverb up quite a bit.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

cool!

one thing guys. if you want a first album sound here is one of the best ways to get it.

Get a sans amp PSA1 use the plexi model and get a pre and post 31b eq. you can get very very close.

That's pretty much my recipe. Here's a few examples...

[YOUTUBE]dhChKqg9OZ4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DIwGOm1riFc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bPLzqSxKdjM[/YOUTUBE]

Ah hell, here's my channel for more...

http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

• Members
as someone pointed out already the ZZ Top song "roughboys" has to be Rockman. this song is Rockman all the way, anyone who's owned one will agree I'm sure.

I read an interview in an old guitar mag, probably from the 80's, with Gibbons and he said he got one of the Rockman units and immediately contacted Scholz R&D and sent it back to them to modify, so the chorus and slap echo could both be turned off. Which would've been a nice option stock.

• Members

Not true. The producer of those albums has debunked that myth.

Then ole BG went to fantastic lengths to fool the writer at Guitar Player who did an interview with pics during the recording of Afterburner. They built an "amp cabin", which was amps arranged in a square, 2 x 4s laid on top, and more amps on the 2 x 4s facing down toward a mic. They would pull the plugs on the amps they didn't want for a take. Then they mixed in some Rockman. It's quite evident from Eliminater on through Antenna.

Archived