Boston Guitar Sound? Tom Scholz?

petejt

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1...and the Rockman stereo echo is legendary as well.

People are starting to forget just how revolutionary the Rockman stuff was. At the the time I'm not sure there were even any amps with effects loops, let a alone a device that sounded pretty damn good on headphones or plugged into a board. The Hughes and Kettner Redbox may have been available but that's just about it.

That's what I am starting to learn, and marvel at.

After all this Line6 {censored} that has plagued the music world, making out that they're revolutionary, go back almost 20 years and one of the first modelling & headphone amps is probably one of the best, if not the best (even though fairly simple), of its kind.

• Members

After all this Line6 {censored} that has plagued the music world, making out that they're revolutionary, go back almost 20 years and one of the first modelling & headphone amps is probably one of the best, if not the best (even though fairly simple), of its kind.

From a technological standpoint how the digital modelers work and how an analog box like a Rockman or Sansamp works is.... (wait for it) ..... quite different. I think the digital modeling guys can make some claim to being an extremely important evolutionary step in the art and science of rig modeling if not an outright revolution due to the development of the technology employed if nothing else. Go listen to one of the modern amp plug-ins like Revalver Mk2/3 or Amplitube 2.

I had the original Rockman back in the day and, really, it was basically a two trick pony. And, honestly, by modern standards: It sucked ass. Don't get my wrong it was nice to have at the time and, like a pignose, it's amazing how much you can do with one when it's all you have and/or you're inspired; but that's more of a testament to the the talent and ingenuity of the users rather than the device. I think you're looking back with rose colored glasses.

• Members
Read guys ... He used the lead pup on his Gold Tops. They were not P90s

I agree; sure sounds like it!

Just to clairify a bit: way back when in an interview, Scholz mentioned using an LP with p-90's...with very little detail forthcoming.

It could have been a red herring. Or perhaps he used it on one song.
In later interviews, he talks about dropping DiMarzios in an LP,which sounds closer to the truth.

Ditto for Blly Gibbons & Co.
There was a long article in GP years ago about how they recorded one of their albums. One of the studio tricks they mentioned was mixing a Marshall with a Rockman for ambience...

...Twenty some odd years later, some that were involved claim: "There was no Rockman on those 80's albums - it never happened!"

What can I say? The drugs were a LOT stronger back then!:thu:

• Members

From a technological standpoint how the digital modelers work and how an analog box like a Rockman or Sansamp works is.... (wait for it) ..... quite different. I think the digital modeling guys can make some claim to being an extremely important evolutionary step in the art and science of rig modeling if not an outright revolution due to the development of the technology employed if nothing else. Go listen to one of the modern amp plug-ins like Revalver Mk2/3 or Amplitube 2.

I had the original Rockman back in the day and, really, it was basically a two trick pony. And, honestly, by modern standards: It sucked ass. Don't get my wrong it was nice to have at the time and, like a pignose, it's amazing how much you can do with one when it's all you have and/or you're inspired; but that's more of a testament to the the talent and ingenuity of the users rather than the device. I think you're looking back with rose colored glasses.

I wasn't even born when the Rockman was invented.

I reckon the digital modelling that Digitech did in the 1990s was more revolutionary than Line 6.

• Members

I wasn't even born when the Rockman was invented.

I reckon the digital modelling that Digitech did in the 1990s was more revolutionary than Line 6.

Not really... have you actually heard the Digitech, or any other 'modeling' from back then? Line 6, and maybe Johnson, made the first such devices that didn't make you want to stab yourself in the face.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members
Just to clairify a bit: way back when in an interview, Scholz mentioned using an LP with p-90's...with very little detail forthcoming.

I remember seeing pics of Scholz on stage with a goldtop Les Paul w/P-90s....I believe it was on the Don't Look Back album pics, the old LP cover opened up, had a few pics of the band playing on stage, etc... I could be wrong but I think thats where I saw 'em :o

Also, I remember reading in Guitar For The Practicing Musician that Yngwie mainly used a Rockman when he recorded Alcatrazz' No Parole From Rock And Roll, but that his Marshalls were used in some spots as well. Any truth to this? Or myth as well?

• Members
I remember seeing pics of Scholz on stage with a goldtop Les Paul w/P-90s....I believe it was on the Don't Look Back album pics, the old LP cover opened up, had a few pics of the band playing on stage, etc... I could be wrong but I think thats where I saw 'em
:o

Also, I remember reading in Guitar For The Practicing Musician that Yngwie mainly used a Rockman when he recorded Alcatrazz' No Parole From Rock And Roll, but that his Marshalls were used in some spots as well. Any truth to this? Or myth as well?

That's interesting. I thought Yngwie was purely a Marshall guy?

Anyway, here's Boston

[YOUTUBE]KiOqHLVxZvA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

you can run a rockman into a marshall.and many people have

the key to sholtz sound is >lots of compression.
actually barry goudreau was every bit as important to the boston sound as anything. he did most of the key solos, people think sholtz was the main guitarist actually he stayed back more in the rythem pocket... check out any of the live videos on youtube.

• Members

Saw them a couple of weeks ago. Still great, ton of gear behind him. Micheal Sweet on lead vocals(& playing) was awesome. Some other guy off u tube,

sang also, but was a brad imitator. He was so so.

Pedal board malfunctioned during show. Had to wait 10 minutes or so before they did another song. Scholz was pretty funny guy - said don't worry, won't take but 30 minutes to fix this, but didn't take long

• Members

As stated Tom Scholtz created one of the first atteuators called the "Power Soak" and used it on a variety of non MV Marshalls on the first couple albums, Billy Gibbons used "Legend" amps on "Eliminator" then went to "Jakes Rio Grande Amps" so i've been told [i'd have to see it to believe it.] Satch used a Rockman on some of "Surfing with the Alien." and Def Leppard used Rockmans to record "Hysteria":cop:

• Members
I remember seeing pics of Scholz on stage with a goldtop Les Paul w/P-90s....I believe it was on the Don't Look Back album pics, the old LP cover opened up, had a few pics of the band playing on stage, etc... I could be wrong but I think thats where I saw 'em
:o

The Mighty Mouse LP was originally a P90 guitar but Scholz had shoved a Super Distortion in the bridge by the time he recorded anything, I'm pretty sure.

I don't use any Rockman ATM but I've wanted a Sustainor for a while, they are pretty cheap on the bay so I may pick one up sometime.

• Members

Satch defineatley used a Rockman on Surfin, you can here it, especially on the clean stuff.

Also Lynch used the Rockman on the Under Lock and key Album, I believe he ran it into his Marshall's and other amps. I remember him saying that the studio had all these high end amps, and he couldn't get the sound he wanted. SO he hooked up his rockman with other pedals which was pretty noisy. He said the producer, was really skeptical on how it would sound, but relented, because it did sound good.

Most guys who used Rockmans didn't use them direct, they had them run in the front end of amps or as ambiance. But you can really here the Rockman influence on Under Lock and Key and Surfin with the Alien. "Always with you always with me" is big time rockman.

• Members
Saw them a couple of weeks ago. Still great, ton of gear behind him. Micheal Sweet on lead vocals(& playing) was awesome. Some other guy off u tube,

sang also, but was a brad imitator. He was so so.

Pedal board malfunctioned during show. Had to wait 10 minutes or so before they did another song. Scholz was pretty funny guy - said don't worry, won't take but 30 minutes to fix this, but didn't take long

sounds like it was a cool gig :cool:

I hope Boston come to Australia soon. I'd get Tom to autograph my Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay :)

• Members

For clarity, Yngwie played through a rockman for "scratch tracks" while the band recorded other parts (bass, drums, keys). He then went back in and recorded the REAL guitar parts using 2 50wt stacks.

I like Ynqwie's sound on No Parole... It was "cleaner" sounding than what he went with on Rising Force. I think the old Dimarzio FS-1 pickups and added compression helped this quite a lot.

Archived