SOT: Why is it that Craigslist...

rydia is hot

• Members

Probably the same everywhere... with Egay you have to deal with long-distance scammers; folks with no intention of paying, or flakey & wont send. Or bid & dont pay, or UPS smashed boxes.

With Craiglist you just cant be desperate & should be ready to wait for somebody to come thru with an acceptable offer.

www.egay.com? i've never had that problem with Egay.

• Members

That's why Ebay charges fees. It's a convenience. It exposes you to millions of people who want to buy things.

But yes, there are definitely stupid ass people on craigslist. I was selling a cab.. and my title said "with 4 celestion vintage 30's", and then I got an email asking me what speakers are in it.... *shakes head*

• Members

1 out of every 10 people on Craigslist is a serious buyer. The rest want to lowball, or in some cases just ask a bunch of questions for no reason.
The more you use the site, the more you learn to screen them out. I have good luck selling on there, but it takes time. I'd rather do that than ship items like amps though.

Much like a garage/yard sale/fleamarket on the internet.

• Members

Selling in Los Angeles CL takes a lot of patience, which I lack. Lots of low ballers, looky loos, tire kickers, and the usual 30 scammers per post.

But I think for that same reason, stuff just sells for crazy cheap.

People know that they have to really lower prices to get real hits, and I've been able to get some insane deals.

Actually, in between LA and Orange County, you will find at least 10 ridiculous deals daily., specially if you are interested in more than just guitar stuff.

• Members

CL is great. The scammers are obvious, so no big deal. You have a small audience looking so you have to relist and wait if you want your price. Sometimes people are looking and you sell. Some people just need money so low ball offers are effective. I don't know why everyone whines about low offers when the effort to reply to an email with "price is firm" is incredibly easy. If you are offering a good deal on something it will go fast.

• Members

I don't know why everyone whines about low offers when the effort to reply to an email with "price is firm" is incredibly easy. If you are offering a good deal on something it will go fast.

Hey man, I can totally see your point, and it really shouldn't be a big deal....

...but damn, I do get irritated by a ridiculous low ball.

Hey, some of us can't help it. Something about the non-chalant doucheybaggery of an offer that someone would ONLY take if in dire need of money for an emergency or a drug habit.

Yesterday I got offered $400 for a Mesa 2:100 that I listed for $700. I can understand offering closed auction money, but if the thing is already priced below market.....why not offer $630 like the actual buyer did yesterday.

Anyway, my reply "Does that include crack rocks?"

• Members

...always ends up being a royal pain in the ass to do business through? I posted my Rockerverb 100 and had a bunch of people get in touch, some "with cash." I end up haggling and agree to go with 1600 cash price (this is with brand new tubes and the amp is almost mint) and all of a sudden they want to throw trades in the equation?

Is it any better in places other than Boston?

Dude think about who reads craigs list. 99 percent of them dont have money, transpo or sense.:mad::mad:

• Members

Haha, I remember a story that happened not too long ago. I was selling an LCD tv on CL. The price was 700 firm.

This woman replies, with "300"

Thats it, literally. All she typed was "300". No other words.

I, being the smartass I am, replied back :

This, is spartaaaaaaaa!

...in hindsight kind of lame but I got a kick out of it..

• Members

craigslist is full of hagglers. i just recently sold my crate amp on there - guy haggled once - and i met him half way.. overall pain free.

out of all the times i've tried selling on there - this was the only successful try.

but in truth, everybody knows to haggle on there.. hell, i offered a guy $475 for a brand new 4x12 bogner cab once(trying to get him to match an ebay auction). and i'm sure if you tried selling a hundred dollar bill for 95$ you would still get low ball offers.

• Members

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Craigslist as of late, but eBay has become a royal pain, especially when I try to sell! Again, I've complained before but people are paying and asking way to much for gear these days. It really sucks, you can't find deals anywhere?? I always wonder how some @ss can want almost full price for a used piece of gear, then they'll take almost nothing for it when selling or trading to a business (like GC)?? Idiots!

• Members

Seems to come and go in cycles. I was so frustrated with Craigslist last month but just sold my Flying V for asking price to the first responder last week. Easy sale, no haggling, nice guy:lol:

Last time I listed the same guitar and got nothing but lowballers, flakes and gear flippers / bargain hunters.

oh man you got rid of the V now I'm sad :cry: lol glad you finally found some one you was really sick of people trying to haggle you down to nothing

Archived