I sold a guitar on ebay... and OMFG!!! What a hassle/scandal!

MrSandMan

• Members

$45 is pretty steep to ship a guitar, but if you listed said it in the auction they the guy is a moron.

Not steep at all. A lot of time sellers (and I have done this) will do cheaper shipping costs to help along the sale. The seller loses yet a bit more money just to make the auction more attractive. When I have sold guitars/amps, I pay to have them double boxed, 2 " padding (foam) between and then ship FedEx. Usually costs me about $75 - $90 for packing and shipping. I lose money but at least I know my {censored}'s gonna arrive in tact.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No doubt EBAY double dips. They charge you to list then they charge for PayPal (if you didn't know they are PayPal)... Then people have the balls to use Ebay as a pricing gauge for everything.... WTF.. Sure it gives you a ballpark idea but it ain't the end all. Ever get caught up in a bidding frenzy? Paid too much... Yes Yes that is what everyone is willing to pay. Stupid crap... Scum of the earth trying to rip us hardworking GAS musicians off for everything.

When will Ebay/PayPal start protecting the seller? Seems all they care about is the buyer.... Someone really needs to police the whole Ebay community and maybe even the Government should step in. Hell they can't mess it up any worse..

Anyway I agree if we all Boycott Ebay/PayPal maybe it would help. We should start a Petition or something. Shipping on guitars has become crazy I tried to send a Les Paul Classic through DHL and they wanted 85$? That was with 2K insurance?????? Damn I would drive it there myself..... Then they throw the crap around and bust it up anyway.

Sorry for the rant just real tired of getting ripped off by unsavory scum and then getting screwed by companies like EBAY....

• Members

$45 was what it cost me to ship a boxed guitar without any case, not including packing materials. not that steep...

true dat... they can be pretty pricey to ship. i usually charge 25 knowing im going to take a hit on shipping. gear-vault ay? i might have to check it out, because i think im done selling on the 'bay as well

• Members

yeah and their fees are too high. gear-vault is a democracy community place (government by the people).. so if we get some sleazeball on there trying to haggle after a sell and gets complaints, it's an automatic permaban.

And there is a
to communicate to others and keep things in check... basically it's easy to build a good name or bad name on the site.

That's one major thing about ebay that sucks. They don't want people to communicate with each other.

• Members

Even if you sold it to him, he's probably one of those that would want some refund (say 50 bucks refund 'cause of "chips and dings that were not pictured or described in the auction").

also, as jerryP said, this could be one of those assholes that goes after PayPal refund if they don't like the guitar.

• Members

+1

This is the type of buyer that is going to bitch no matter how far you bend over backwards. If you think it's crazy now, wait till he actually gets the guitar and starts to pick it apart. I smell a PayPal dispute for the item not being as decribed when he gets it. Great reason to not wanna pay with a money order don't you think? Run!

Jerry

I went to your website and you've got reasonable prices. So you'll appreciate this.

Last Year I wanted to get FX loops installed in two 65 RI Twin Reverbs.

This guy who was recomended to me by a luthier I know wanted 750.00 each. He did say it would be tube buffered but @ 750 he lost all possible business ever with me.

http://www.thermalrelief.com/index02.html

• Members
I think you mean "gall"
:lol:

you should NEVER tell buyers you're overcharging to compensate for fees. that is indeed against ebay policy. However, you can say that the extra money is for handling fees... buying tape, bubble wrap, boxes, other packing materials, etc. you can be vague about this.

+1 on the charging extra to recoup fees.

Bottom line, if you accept using PayPal then you just have suck it up and eat the fees.

• Members
what would be pure greatness(if you post all the logs)

:o

if mr sandman wants me to i totally will. i really have nothing better to do all day...seeing as how i'm a student and at school a lot. although if i were to read one of his responses and laugh out loud in a lecture that would the worst that could happen.

• Members
if mr sandman wants me to i totally will. i really have nothing better to do all day...seeing as how i'm a student and at school a lot. although if i were to read one of his responses and laugh out loud in a lecture that would the worst that could happen.

I don't wish to retaliate. Sometimes it's best to move on. I posted his world page / alias for other sellers/members who wish not to do future business with him.

But it would be funny tho :lol:

• Members

The same worthless scum from EBAY lurk/troll here. That's what they do so just be careful. I know we all are hip to it but just to keep awareness up if it seems to good to be true it probably is.

If anybody wants I have a '57 Les Paul in pretty good shape I'll take 50$ and 5,000$ for PayPal fee's and 50,000$ for shipping and gee sorry but I don't have a digital camera so I can't post pics......

Safe trading/buying/selling to all and to all a good night.....:thu:

• Members

$45 is pretty steep to ship a guitar, but if you listed said it in the auction they the guy is a moron.

If it's flat rate shipping with insurance on a $1k guitar you could easily end up spending $45 coast to coast if you were mad enough to use UPS...FedEx was around $38 for same last time I used it and I already had packaging on hand. If you were to buy packaging, you could be out $20.

Flat Rate shipping is a gamble..some you win, some you lose.

• Members

eBay/PayPal are basically a monopoly at this point and behave like one. This is why anti-trust laws were enacted in the first place.

eBay is all about taking as much money as they can from those who have the money (e.g. the sellers).

IMO, eBay are only hastening their own demise. Actions such as theirs only incite people and either the government will step in or a real alternative will surface.

CC

• Members

The last 2 guitars and 3 amps I bought off ebay have been significantly not as described, eg bad tubes (I allowed and just changed them and left positive) damaged badly finished gibsons and a busted Ampeg. I've therefor boycotted buying on ebay and only use it as another outlet for selling.

• Members

I'm done with paypal, ebay I'm just waiting until the {censored} storm

blows over. It seems that in Germany they protested,

and ebay/germany didn't make the terms changes.

They're losing money fast, it's only a matter of time

before they realize how bad the {censored}ed up and go

back to the original format.

Who ever the idiot there was who OK'd these changes

should be tared and feathered, or sent to Iraq.

Both.

Archived