Lower watt tube amp for rehersals.

jerime

• Members

I've got a 100 watt all tube amp right now, but I'm looking for something smaller that would be suitable for rehearsals with a loud drummer. I've been checking out the Blackheart amps, but I have my doubts that a 5 watt amp would keep up with a drummer. I do see that they are comming out with a 15 watt version soon, but would 15 watts still give me enough headroom? I'm looking for something that would breakup fairly nice at a medium to loud practice volume with a drummer, bass, and another guitar player. Here are some amps I'm looking at right now.

Crate Palamino

Crate V Series

Blackheart

Fender Hot Rod or something similar

Peavey Classic

Vox AC15

Something with preferable EL84s. I'm not limited to those choices, but something in the 500 range. Thanks.

• Members

What sound are you looking for? I love laney amps so I would recommend a VC15 for everything but metal(unless you use a pedal) It is loud, lightweight and from my experience, it will keep up with a drummer. Need more, the VC30 or LC30(more modern sounding) would also be great. Good cleans and crunch and pedal friendly too.

• Members

my SF champ does just fine with a drummer (I rarely go past 4) and it's only six watts

Used my VibroChamp last night with my band and it was a bit light with a 5 piece. Sounds heavenly cranked though.

I'd say 12 (Princeton) - 30 watts (C30, etc.) is the right amount.

• Members

your drummer'd have to be really REALLY loud to have 15 watts not keep up.. and if yer looking for a dirty blues sound.. that sorta headroom ought to do you great-- once you try lower wattage, you may NEVER go back to higher watt amp for THAT application!

look around for something with 2 el84s for low watt brit sound-- hell-- even a blues jr with and 808'd get y' there with humbuckers, most likely! i'm a big fan of the mesa studio .22... you could also go with a THD univalve-- single ended and whatever cab you use now (unless you use a combo..)-- ranges from i think 5 watts to 18 or so, dependant on what power tube you chuck in it (only takes one..).

• Members

So it sounds like a 15 watt would be about right then? Like I said I have a 100 watt all tube half stack that I could use if I really need to. I'm just looking for something that is small, easier to carry around and that can keep up with a band practice. I'm really considering a Palomino V16.

• Members

You should definitely try the new Fender Super Champ XD. Not all tube but it sounds pretty good. At $299 it just might work for you. Other possibles:

Traynor YCV 20 WR

Crate Palomino V16 (now $279 at GC

Fender DRRI

Fender Blues Junior

Gibson GA15RVT

Archived