Recommend a single channel amp

SHIVmongrel

• Members

looking for ideas to try out...i want a non-MV, single-channel head or combo, fewer knobs the better, hand-wired (for ease of repair, no sound objective with this one), preferrably

i play a les paul and soon will have a partscaster tele, soundwise i study robben ford, larry carlton, old clapton, etc., but my band plays more along the lines of heavier groovy Sleep/Clutch/Kyuss sounding stuff, and i also play bass for a funk project and occasionally layer guitar

i dig JMP marshalls and have a couple of old 1-5 watt tube combos...the last time i switched channels mid-song was about 12 years ago, and i prefer simple controls so i don't mess with the amp all night

i've played the Dr Z Route 66 a couple years ago, and plan to play another soon, and i liked it, for starters...

thanks for any recommendations

:)

• Members

dude if you want an amp that's gonna do what your band is doing and what you're interested in playing player wise, get 1 of 3 amps:

A Fender Bassman

An Ampeg V4

A Marshall JMP of some sort.

Any and all of those will do the trick and will do the kyuss/clutch thing provided you have a pedal of some sort to go in front of it. I personally will recommend the Fender Bassman the most because of the personal stuff you are working on as well as the stoner/doom thing. They're killer amps. I wish I would've never gotten rid of mine.

• Members

Germino, Reinhardt, Voodoo, and tons of other make killer Plexi-type amps.The Fuchs Train 45 is more of a Ford/Carlton type amp (aplusguitars in my sig has one in stock). I use a VHT Deliverance. It has a little different voicing, but is a great one channel amp that goes from clean to scream with just the volume on your axe. Here's a little clip I did with the gaim maxed, but the guitar volume backed off.

• Members

I'm biased towards NMV amps and here are mine. These are some great deals for handwired amps and beat many of the other offerings. The black and silver one is a JTM45 with dual rectification and handwound output transformer, the purple one is a screaming 50 watt plexi.

ReinhardtSentinel004.jpg

Archived