Horrible, horrible day.

dr_love6977

• Members

So on my way home from work last night my {censored}ing exhaust broke. It snapped right before the right side muffler, but was still attached at the tail pipe, so the {censored}ing thing was digging into the ground as I drove. So I parked it and had it towed to the shop this morning, as to avoid driving it, therefor saving any further damage to the muffler and avoid ripping out the rest of the exhaust. Welp, the shop just called me. I guess all of the piping is rotting out and there's no way to weld it back together. They want $800 goddamn dollars that I don't have to fix it, so I told 'em just to cut the {censored}ing exhaust out after the cat, and give me back my mufflers and tips. Soooooo... now my car will be loud as {censored} till I can find somewhere that's not going to rape me on fixing it. Oh, and of course the shop that installed my exhaust in the first place went out of business.

Errrr, sorry. Just needed to rant.

0325081236.jpg

• Members

that sucks! what kind of car is it?

rrrrr... i remember having an 86 ford f150 with a bunk exhaust.. i went in, and aftermarket parted it, and all told, it was $40 from the cat back...

that ISN'T what i found when i did my wife's honda....

It's a Mustang. I'm gonna have to go around to different shops, because there's no way it's $800 to replace some piping.

• Members

$800 sounds WAY high for that work.

It was {censored} like that that made me learn how to start working on my own vehicles. I've probably saved thousands over the past 10 years.

My advice to you (and to any car owner) is to buy the "Haynes" or "Chilton" type manual for your particular vehicle(s). The troubleshooting section alone is worth the $20 you'll pay for the book.

• Members

$800 sounds WAY high for that work.

It was {censored} like that that made me learn how to start working on my own vehicles. I've probably saved thousands over the past 10 years.

My advice to you (and to any car owner) is to buy the "Haynes" or "Chilton" type manual for your particular vehicle(s). The troubleshooting section alone is worth the $20 you'll pay for the book.

Agreed, but for exhaust work, you definitely don't need a manual.

• Members

if it's a GT just leave it as is LOL! I used to have a 97 GT (hence the screen name).

$800 to repair the exhaust is freaking hilarious though. Any monkey can install one of these.

http://www.atomicperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1146

Even if it's not the right year/model, that's about the price to pay for a full cat back system. If your factory H pipe is still in decent shape, it should bolt right up.

• Members

Dude, you can put a cat-back on yourself, it's like 2 bolts. Go to jegs.com. Less than $200...

That's what I was getting at. You can do a catback in like 45 minutes. Ok, maybe more since you will need stands or ramps, but still. It's VERY easy. No welding unless you want to go back later and weld where the clamps are, but everything comes in the kit you need. You just bolt it up and go.

• Members
It's a Rustang!

:lol:

No no no, not yet!

I'm trying to find another shop right now. $800 is just completely unreasonable, considering all that it needs is the piping between the cats and mufflers replaced. All the piping after the mufflers was replaced when I had new tips put on.

• Members

Ok, if the pipe is rotten, then the whole thing is probably rotten. Here is a link to Jegs that has a Flowmaster cat back exhaust for 521. It will take you minutes to install it. You can do it in less than 1 hour. And you will have new pipes. You could probably get a different brand cheaper, but shop around for a cat back kit.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flowmaster/745019/10002/-1/10249

• Members

You had it towed? Haven't you ever heard of crawling under there with a coat hanger to hold it up so you can make it to the shop?

EDIT - MOJO sent!

lol, yes I know, but this took place late last night, and to be honest I don't have any metal coat hangers. Also, I didn't have a ride this morning, so I couldn't get back to my car to tie it up.

Annndddd.... I have AAA, so it was free towing.

Archived