Electric guitar amp with good preset sounds?

Grayson73

• Members

I currently have an electric guitar amp that has various knobs (gain, volume, presence, rate, depth), but doesn't have any presets. It makes it difficult to switch between sounds for different songs.

Also, I'm a beginner and have trouble dialing in sounds,

I'm looking for a guitar amp that has good preset sounds that will remove the need to dial in various knobs. If an amp has good presets, I can try the different presets for each song to see which one sounds best.

When performing, I would like to be able to turn a knob or push a button to switch between these factory presets for different songs.

I want something simple (guitar straight to amp) and between 30w-60w.

Any recommendations?

• Members

I guess you're talking about basic channel switching, but if you want lots of presets you can save digitally and switch between, you want a digital modeling amp like a Vox Valvetronix or Line6 Spider III. Those are fine for starting off when you don't know what you want, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

• Members

what he said, but you basically NEED to learn how to dial in an amp so you wont be a n00b forever

Quite true, but it's hard to learn much of anything from some cheaper amps, since they're literally so crappy they border on being totally useless.

I haven't used Valvetronix amps much, but I know that the EQ works decently on at least the Spider III, and for once, it actually has a channel with a decent amount of distortion that doesn't have the fizzy bees, which they separated to other channels. The $200 one is actually very easy to setup sounding better than a Pod XT. Playing one of those, I wish they'd had them when I started. Beats the crap out of my first amp, which was more expensive and I actually preferred over lots of others that were available at the time. :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived