amp stopped making sound after plugging in a bad speaker cable

logansc

• Members

We were trying out my friends amp before a show to borrow, it was a hughes and kettner switchblade 212, yeah they sorta suck I know, and we tried running it through our Crate cabinet with what we later realized was a bad speaker cable. It still turns on and what not, nothing looks broken, but no sound will come to the speaker, either to the speakers on the amp, or to another cab. What could be broken? Speaker outputs? Input? What?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We were trying out my friends amp before a show to borrow, it was a hughes and kettner switchblade 212, yeah they sorta suck I know, and we tried running it through our Crate cabinet with what we later realized was a bad speaker cable. It still turns on and what not, nothing looks broken, but no sound will come to the speaker, either to the speakers on the amp, or to another cab. What could be broken? Speaker outputs? Input? What?

Is it a tube amp? A bad speaker cable is at least as bad as not connecting a cab at all. Is there any hiss at all coming out of the speakers? Maybe the OT opened up?

• Members

are you really this stupid?

you have CONSTANT problems because you are CONSTANTLY half assing {censored}. i mean ALL THE {censored}ING TIME.

let me tell you what you've done to your "friend's" amp...you blew up the output transformer. the kicker is that you somehow thought that the CRATE cabinet would sound better than the speakers in the combo, which is just plain retarded.

this is what you get.

• Members

you have CONSTANT problems because you are CONSTANTLY half assing {censored}. i mean ALL THE {censored}ING TIME.

let me tell you what you've done to your "friend's" amp...you blew up the output transformer. the kicker is that you somehow thought that the CRATE cabinet would sound better than the speakers in the combo, which is just plain retarded.

this is what you get.

LOL, although id like to say that i dont personally remember the OP having other posts like this, but i still think this is funny.

Is it a tube amp? A bad speaker cable is at least as bad as not connecting a cab at all. Is there any hiss at all coming out of the speakers? Maybe the OT opened up?

And this is the answer. Did you leave the amp plugged into the cab while no sound was coming out? This would be bad, very bad if it that is what happened.

• Members

That switchblade is going to suck a lot more now that you've likely blown the output transformer. Nice job.:thu:

• Members

this is what you get.

knucklefuxpwnt... or knucklefuxed? :o

• Members

this is what you get.

I seriously Rofled reading this two different times today. Someone is either a Lewis Black or Bill Hicks fan. :lol:

• Members

check all the fuses. i don't know anything about that amp, but sometimes fuses are mounted inside on the circuit board as well. otherwise, you blew the output tranny. try not to die if you open it up.

you just signed this kid's death warrant. you haven't been around enough to witness his escapades. i'd expect a chimp to pull some of the {censored} he has, but your average homo sapien is supposed to be smarter than a chimp:o

• Members

this is what you get.

It seems like you know that this dude is an ass but still, try not to be such a {censored}er man. No one digs on an asshole

• Members

sorry shred, i am an asshole. fortunately, HCAF isn't a popularity contest:D

you're gonna have to go with me on this one, trey, this kid's CLUELESS and remains that way despite the best efforts of many that have tried to steer him straight.

• Members

you're gonna have to go with me on this one, trey, this kid's CLUELESS and remains that way despite the best efforts of many that have tried to steer him straight.

hey at least your sorry :wave:

would you like some smarties?

• Members

i DO like smarties.

and i didn't mean i'm sorry as in i apologize...maybe i should have said "i'm afraid" instead...you know, just as a preface to the admission of my asshole status. i mean, if the kid wanted someone to give him a hug and tell him everything is gonna be ok, he should have posted the problem somewhere else. HCAF is not for pussies:mad:

• Members

IF you vouch for his cluelessness then, he must be clueless :D

• Members

Is the standby switch OFF or On? Did you plug into the correct speaker jack? Should be 2x16 jack for the combo. Hopefully you didn't plug into the fx loop jacks directly below

Do the output tubes glow?? If not>

check , replace the 1.6 or 2A fuse. Mine's a 3Amp but the combo may be less, not sure.

its internal and you have to pull the amp chassis out. only do this is you know WTF you are doing. OTT take it to a tech

• Members

Is the standby switch OFF or On? Did you plug into the correct speaker jack? Should be 2x16 jack for the combo. Hopefully you didn't plug into the fx loop jacks directly below

Do the output tubes glow?? If not>

check , replace the 1.6 or 2A fuse. Mine's a 3Amp but the combo may be less, not sure.

its internal and you have to pull the amp chassis out. only do this is you know WTF you are doing. OTT take it to a tech

The tubes glow, they look fine. I plugged it into the correct jack, it was definitely the cable. You can see where it is broken on the inside. And the cable that runs to the amps speakers was also plugged back into the correct jack. I'll look at the fuse, but assuming there not broken what is this gonna cost me from a tech do you think?

• Members

If you blew the OT, it could cost you $300 or so to have a tech take care of it.

oh man, don't tell me that. Couldn't it be something else like the jack? There was no loud noise or anything it just didn't do anything.

Archived