Lenovo versus Macbook Air

JBecker

• Members

In fact, my experience with using Linux suggests the reverse-- hardware compatibility has been great.

well that explains it :p

i should have made that clear, STOCK lenovos suck. My girlfriend has compatibility problems with her printer and her wireless router... this one random hardware dll file kept crashing her {censored}. Now she has a dell :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Except it's being compared to an ultraportable that's the same weight and about 3/10s of an inch thicker.

I love Macs, I really do. Especially after swapping the hard drive on a G4 Powerbook 12" from the stock 40GB to a 160GB. It was a pain in the ass, but you really get to see how well they're put together in comparison to the other brands.

But I have to say the Air is odd. The only market for it I can see is someone with enough money to have both an iMac/Mac Pro at home and another 2K for a heavily lacking ultralight. Even having both a laptop and a desktop I'd still hate to be as feature limited while I am away from the office as the Air is.

But I guess they're selling, so more power to them. What I wish they would have come out with is a 12" MBP. I absolutely love the 12" PB; it would have been cool to see that again in widescreen with a C2D.

• Members

well that explains it
:p

i should have made that clear, STOCK lenovos suck. My girlfriend has compatibility problems with her printer and her wireless router... this one random hardware dll file kept crashing her {censored}. Now she has a dell
:D

I have no problems running in Windows and you were suggesting somehow that their hardware ahs some of the problems like say ASUS who uses odd third party unknown devices that change rapidly and don't have large markets whereas Lenovo uses all common and readily available devices.

There is no such thing as a hardware file of any kind. What your gf had was a Windows problem like the one we're discussing that could have easily been fixed and had nothing to do with Lenovo.

• Members

I'm done with yours too!
:blah::wave:

You know, after looking at your post history, I'm starting to see a pattern. Maybe you should look into expanding your vocabulary. It also seems you spend an inordinate amount of time "schooling" and insulting most of the HCAF members.

Let's look at some excerpts from your posts, shall we?

"Are you joking, or are you retarded?

Jesus, you're a {censored}ing douchebag.

Come on, don't be an ignorant douchebag.

Don't be ignorant

He's an asshole

Holy {censored} you're an idiot.

lol: you're an idiot.

wave: Hey Chip. Way to be a douchebag, as usual.

No, too late. He's an idiot.

you're a gullible douchebag, plain and simple.

Arrogant pricks like you are everything that's wrong with music today.

If I were to PM Chucknutz and say that you're a total douchebag (which you are, btw)

But for now, I'll just sit here and watch your stupidity unfold.

It's not backstabbing when we're saying it directly to you, dip{censored}.

Dude, you're a douchebag, plain and simple.

Wow, you're a douchebag!

they hate the condescending douchebags sitting at the keyboard of them

Why don't you go {censored} yourself while listening to your lovely modeling...

You're kind of a douche

Every time you post, you show how much of a douchebag you are

No, I insist; please go {censored} yourself.

Wow, you're a douche.

That'll be great for a wedding band and country music. Idiot.

welcome to 2001. And it's BSD, not Linux, doofus.

Dude, I gotta laugh, because clearly you're quite ignorant.

Just showing how much of a fanboy ass you are.

Read all my posts, dip{censored}.

You suck at life"

:lol:

• Members

I have no problems running in Windows and you were suggesting somehow that their hardware ahs some of the problems like say ASUS who uses odd third party unknown devices that change rapidly and don't have large markets whereas Lenovo uses all common and readily available devices.

There is no such thing as a hardware file of any kind. What your gf had was a Windows problem like the one we're discussing that could have easily been fixed and had nothing to do with Lenovo.

it wasnt fixed with a reformat which leads me away from thinking its a windows error.

and there are such thing as hardware files such as the hardware abstraction layer file for example... though this wasnt the one that was causing the issue.

• Members

You know, after looking at your post history, I'm starting to see a pattern. Maybe you should look into expanding your vocabulary. It also seems you spend an inordinate amount of time "schooling" and insulting most of the HCAF members.

Let's look at some excerpts from your posts, shall we?

"Are you joking, or are you retarded?

Jesus, you're a {censored}ing douchebag.

Come on, don't be an ignorant douchebag.

Don't be ignorant

He's an asshole

Holy {censored} you're an idiot.

lol: you're an idiot.

wave: Hey Chip. Way to be a douchebag, as usual.

No, too late. He's an idiot.

you're a gullible douchebag, plain and simple.

Arrogant pricks like you are everything that's wrong with music today.

If I were to PM Chucknutz and say that you're a total douchebag (which you are, btw)

But for now, I'll just sit here and watch your stupidity unfold.

It's not backstabbing when we're saying it directly to you, dip{censored}.

Dude, you're a douchebag, plain and simple.

Wow, you're a douchebag!

they hate the condescending douchebags sitting at the keyboard of them

Why don't you go {censored} yourself while listening to your lovely modeling...

You're kind of a douche

Every time you post, you show how much of a douchebag you are

No, I insist; please go {censored} yourself.

Wow, you're a douche.

That'll be great for a wedding band and country music. Idiot.

welcome to 2001. And it's BSD, not Linux, doofus.

Dude, I gotta laugh, because clearly you're quite ignorant.

Just showing how much of a fanboy ass you are.

Read all my posts, dip{censored}.

You suck at life"

Wow, you spent all that time to go through all my posts here? :lol: That's pretty funny. Clearly you take this {censored} way too seriously. No one ever swears at people on HC, right? :lol: Clearly I need to move on from "douchebag" though. I'll make a note of that. :D

When you're really done, let me know. Apparently you were kidding last time.

• Members

Wow, you spent all that time to go through all my posts here?
That's pretty funny. Clearly you take this {censored} way too seriously.

Remember, I can multitask. I just think it's funny that any IT related threads that pop up, you're there to tell everyone what a "douche" they are.

Me thinks you're trying way to hard to impress everyone with your technical prowess.

:poke:

• Members

Remember, I can multitask. I just think it's funny that any IT related threads that pop up, you're there to tell everyone what a "douche" they are.

Me thinks you're trying way to hard to impress everyone with your technical prowess.

:poke:

Nah, I really don't care. At the end of the day I'm collecting a paycheck and getting promoted, so it really doesn't matter what some "IT guru" on the interwebz thinks. :thu:

• Members

Except it's being compared to an ultraportable that's the same weight and about 3/10s of an inch thicker.

I'm not saying it isn't. Just that the purposes of these two machines are different.

The Mac Air is designed to fit into Apple's product line, not compete with other ultraportables. I agree, no Windows user is going to pick an Air over a Lenovo, but that's not the point. It's about filling a niche within the OSX line.

Power users will opt for the Macbooks. The Air is for people who do have a work Mac Pro tower, maybe a 17" Macbook Pro, and need something smaller and lighter for specific business related needs where they don't want to truck their larger laptop.

In a business sense as well, bringing a minimalist setup is often advantageous, especially in this era of air travel. Bringing all your work files on every trip can be dangerous. Leaving that stuff at home and only loading trip specific data onto an Air makes sense. This assists in corporate security as well.

There are quite a few articles out right now talking about the Air, and I'm not knocking the people who criticize it, I'm just putting a bit of perspective on it.

• Members

I'm not saying it isn't. Just that the purposes of these two machines are different.

The Mac Air is designed to fit into Apple's product line, not compete with other ultraportables. I agree, no Windows user is going to pick an Air over a Lenovo, but that's not the point. It's about filling a niche within the OSX line.

Power users will opt for the Macbooks. The Air is for people who do have a work Mac Pro tower, maybe a 17" Macbook Pro, and need something smaller and lighter for specific business related needs where they don't want to truck their larger laptop.

In a business sense as well, bringing a minimalist setup is often advantageous, especially in this era of air travel. Bringing all your work files on every trip can be dangerous. Leaving that stuff at home and only loading trip specific data onto an Air makes sense. This assists in corporate security as well.

There are quite a few articles out right now talking about the Air, and I'm not knocking the people who criticize it, I'm just putting a bit of perspective on it.

That's definitely the market. I just think they went a little too overboard, but that's just me.

I think the ability to boot and install the OS over wireless is pretty cool though. I imagine that'd work with a Ghost image too, though I've never tried it (too slow).

• Members

Guys, guys, guys! Let's keep the discussion on topic...how much Apple sucks!

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

:D

I actually like Macs quite a bit unlike most PC users. And I actually understand the niche that the Air is seeking to appeal to. But, the point is, that niche would have been served, in addition to a niche about twice as large had they simply sacrificed another few tenths of an inch, not even weight, and gave the things a freaking ethernet port and a few USB ports. The Air just goes too far without going far enough.

If they wanted to do something revolutionary and small but sweet it would have been cheaper, less powerful, 7" tablet that can use a keyboard like a far larger iPhone keyboard or use gestures or direct writing with handwriting recognition or direct writing period. Something like that at a similar thickness around 1k would have been truly revolutionary. Something slight thicker with a few more ports and possibly (thoguh I'm with Apple on this one) an optical drive would have filled a whole in Apple's line that has long been full on the PC side that would have served a large audience ranging from students who just "don't need anymore" to business people in the situation you mentioned.

Where they are right now is sitting in between which is somewhere very uncomfortable and not very useful. Heck, it doesn't even get far on the girlfriend test. A few of my female friends and my gf have all LOVED the Air when they saw it ("I could actually take that in my bag!") then found out the price and realized it wasn't worth it. One of them actually found the Asus EEE and bought that instead saying for that price it was worth the novelty. Even non-tech people realize it's too expensive for too little for too unimportant a use since you can get other ultraportables that are a little less sexy but far more functional for the same cost.

Archived