Is there no way to develop something that automatically detects proper impedance?

Angry Grimace

• Members

I'm no electrical expert, but it seems like that would be something that would save a lot of OTs from failure due to the fact that most musicians are retards.

Is there some reason they can't develop a system whereby the impedance is automatically matched properly :freak:?

That sounds too useful to have not been invented. I imagine there's some reason you can't do that. Why?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'm no electrical expert, but it seems like that would be something that would save a lot of OTs from failure due to the fact that most musicians are retards.

Is there some reason they can't develop a system whereby the impedance is automatically matched properly
:freak:
?

That sounds too useful to have not been invented. I imagine there's some reason you can't do that. Why?

I see where you're going... you mean something incorporated into an amplifier that auto-detects and matches impedance to whatever cab you plug into? It'd be neat from a technology point of view and I suspect somewhat easy to do with some amps, but ultimately not cost effective nor really worth the effort since it's dead simple as is to set.

• Members
Let me guess, you're posting from an iron lung cuz you're too lazy to breathe?

:poke::poke::poke:

But seriously, how hard is figuring it out? You only have to ever do it once for your amp.

:rolleyes:

I guess I should have expected such completely sarcastic replies. It's not a matter of the fact that you can't simply wire it properly...try asking your girlfriend to hook up your surround sound system and you'll understand.

It's not a matter of inability to do so; it just seems like something that manufacturers would implement due to the fact that a mismatch can cause the most expensive part of an amp to blow...you would think in an era of extended warranties they would cover all their bases with regards to ways the average idiot can blow their amp up.

• Members

I see where you're going... you mean something incorporated into an amplifier that auto-detects and matches impedance to whatever cab you plug into? It'd be neat from a technology point of view and I suspect somewhat easy to do with some amps, but ultimately not cost effective nor really worth the effort since it's dead simple as is to set.

I imagine that's probably true to a point. But given that the average amp made in this era has more chips in it than a bag of Doritos, you would think it would be relatively easy to implement. My guess is that it's probably not possible at all.

It also begs the question as to why they don't simply add in a resistive load that the amp defaults to when there's no other speaker load.

I just wonder why they don't do more to protect the OTs on tube amps given warranty and repair costs.

I think you guys give the average person who doesn't post on amp forums all day too much credit. You DO realize that to probably 50% of guitar guys two 8ohm loads = 16ohms. It's not as intuitive to the average person, and the average person doesn't have a multimeter on them because they aren't electrical engineers.

• Members

I guess I should have expected such completely idiotic replies.

It's not a matter of inability to do so; it just seems like something that manufacturers would implement due to the fact that a mismatch can cause the most expensive part of an amp to blow...you would think in an era of extended warranties they would cover all their bases with regards to ways the average idiot can blow their amp up.

Right... basically a plug-and-play equivalent. Again, likely easy enough to do, but not cost effective for the manufacturers to incorporate.

• Members

I just wonder why they don't do more to protect the OTs on tube amps given warranty and repair costs.

Probably in part due to the fact that it's not really "easy" to wreck an OT without being an idiot.

An impedence mismatch isn't going to cause the world to tilt off axis. Provided you are smart enough to operate a simple machine, you can most likely match impedence.

• Members

Seems like Engl might do something like this though... they've got other protective measures implemented in their amp circuitry already (power tube failure detection which takes it out of service and spreads load across the remaining ones, etc...)

• Members

This seems a pretty fair question. It would be interesting to hear what the amp builders around here have to say on this one. For example, a device which would detect if there was no load on the output and, in such a case, switch the amp off or somehow prevent current from going to the OT or in whatever way prevent OT failure, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to conceive of - but maybe there's a good reason why. :idk:

• Members

Probably in part due to the fact that it's not really "easy" to wreck an OT without being an idiot.

An impedence mismatch isn't going to cause the world to tilt off axis. Provided you are smart enough to operate a simple machine, you can most likely match impedence.

As I said before, ask your sister/girlfriend to hook up your surround sound system to your TV and then tell me how easy it is. Or, give em two 8 ohm cabs and ask which tap they should use. What do you think they will say? You're reading into this from the perspective of a person who has 10,000 posts on a tube amp forum. If everyone who played amps/guitar subscribed to amp forum, yea, but they don't.

The answers I'm getting kind of remind of me of the "outcry" from IT guys when MS stopped making MS-DOS..."Only an idiot doesn't know how to use DOS, why dumb it down with Windows?"

• Members

they do make a thing called an autoformer- which'll allow an amp to 'see' a different impedance than the specified one. but that's not really how transformers work-- it's so freakin' simple to switch jacks, it's just not cost effective.

if you had to switch between different windings on your output transformer WHICH COULD POTENTIALLY, IF CHOSEN INCORRECTLY, BLOW UP YOUR AMP, with a machine, which could break-- wouldn't you take the sure thing?

• Members

As I said before, ask your sister/girlfriend to hook up your surround sound system to your TV and then tell me how easy it is. Or, give em two 8 ohm cabs and ask which tap they should use. What do you think they will say? You're reading into this from the perspective of a person who has 10,000 posts on a tube amp forum. If everyone who played amps/guitar subscribed to amp forum, yea, but they don't.

But my girlfriend doesn't play guitar (doesn't play it very well, at least).

If you're buying a tube amp, you owe it to yourself to learn at least a little bit about basic operation. :poke:

Does your mom still cut your food for you, too?

• Members

not being intentionally contrary.. but somebody had to tell you that you don't put diesel into your unleaded car, right? there has to be a LITTLE knowledge passed on for people to use machines... if yer letting your little sister hook up your guitar amp-- you gotta tell her, or let her know to read the labels on the thing, just like the pumps at the gas station..

• Members
This seems a pretty fair question. It would be interesting to hear what the amp builders around here have to say on this one. For example, a device which would detect if there was no load on the output and, in such a case, switch the amp off or somehow prevent current from going to the OT or in whatever way prevent OT failure, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to conceive of - but maybe there's a good reason why.
:idk:

See, that's the question...It seems in theory like a relatively cheap safeguard against damage...that's the question. It's not that people are incapable of operating it...but people do pretty dumb {censored}, like try to run 5150s without preamp tubes. The average person wouldn't know a thermionic valve from an incandescent bulb.

• Members

But my girlfriend doesn't play guitar (doesn't play it very well, at least).

If you're buying a tube amp, you owe it to yourself to learn at least a little bit about basic operation. :poke:

Does your mom still cut your food for you, too?

Why do you direct keep directing sarcastic crap about breathing and eat at ME like I said I couldn't do it or don't want to...it's a question of interest becuase I would think that companies would do this to avoid having to pay out warranty costs. I can bias my tubes and match my amps impedance loads just fine. I mean, I've been to my local GC and seen people wondering why the DSL they were playing wasn't producing sound numerous times? You're telling me you've never met a dolt? Most people are dolts.

• Members

I guess I should have expected such completely sarcastic replies. It's not a matter of the fact that you can't simply wire it properly...try asking your girlfriend to hook up your surround sound system and you'll understand.

Ok, my answer was tongue in cheek here's my serious reply...

Why equip an amp with an expensive add on that replaces a $7.97 multimeter

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-pocket-sized-8-range-analog-multimeter--pi-2103534.html

when the add on will cost 10x's as much and be subject to failure?

You know your automatic impedance selector is gonna screw up, detect the wrong impedance and blow up the OT. It'll do exactly what it was meant to prevent.

Plus the $7.97 mulitmeter will do ALL you amps, all your life.

It's an expensive answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

• Members

I guess the theory is sound. You'd be able to tell the impedance from the output jack on out with the reflectance of the power. You just make minor adjustments via a digital potentiometer or some equivalent in order to match it to have a reflectance of zero. Have it match internally with some sort of stub or something, so the output transformer is always at a certain level and the stub/potentiometer matches to the correct impedance on the other side. Maybe the output tranny uses a 4 ohm load, and the stub/potentiometer would match to whatever the other side is up to 32 ohms or something like that. Theoretically possible.

• Members

not being intentionally contrary.. but somebody had to tell you that you don't put diesel into your unleaded car, right? there has to be a LITTLE knowledge passed on for people to use machines... if yer letting your little sister hook up your guitar amp-- you gotta tell her, or let her know to read the labels on the thing, just like the pumps at the gas station..

See, but that's a poor choice of comparison because they DO do something about htat; Diesel pumps are physically imcompatible with gasoline gas inputs and vice versa. I personally know a person who tried it, and yes she is stupid. But they stuipid proof things becuase people are stupid.

Archived