OT: To you guys/gals who like metal/deathcore/screaming cookie monsters...

RoboPimp

• Members

Why?

Are you angry all the time? You have learned to love your angry feelings and embrace them? You want music to re-enforce these feelings? Music that is also angry and full of hate and violence, paranoid delusions, drug addiction, A2M glorification?

or is it just fun to listen to?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I smellz a troll....
:blah:

no, just curious, I usually try to listen to music that is melodic, harmonious, peaceful, happy. I can understand every now and then listening to an angry song when you want to vent or something but generally I don't really want to listen to that all the time. To me music is part of my state of mind and I'm not really in an angry mood often.

So since I know a lot of the people here listen to "metal" music I'd ask and see what your thoughts are.

• Members
...and I suppose you think I should go enjoy some Pat Boone or ABBA?
:lol:

I don't really care what you listen to, just curious what the people who listen to "metal" music have to say about why they do, what they like about it.

• Members
I don't really care what you listen to, just curious what the people who listen to "metal" music have to say about why they do, what they like about it.

Why does anyone like any kind of music? They just do. How can anyone listen to that whiny {censored} called country music? I have no idea. I suspect it's because people just like it. Don't really care anyway. :thu:

• Members

no, just curious, I usually try to listen to music that is melodic, harmonious, peaceful, happy. I can understand every now and then listening to an angry song when you want to vent or something but generally I don't really want to listen to that all the time. To me music is part of my state of mind and I'm not really in an angry mood often.

So since I know a lot of the people here listen to "metal" music I'd ask and see what your thoughts are.

Bull{censored}.

You are a troll. Always have been, still is. Who are you trying to kid? Why don't you take your {censored}head trolls back to the effect forum where people are used to it.

• Members

Different people have different tastes in music, if you don't like the music that others listen to-don't listen to it-simple as that.

There really is no need to start a thread like this, except to stir up some muckery and gain universal hatred towards yourself.

• Members

Why?

Are you angry all the time? You have learned to love your angry feelings and embrace them? You want music to re-enforce these feelings? Music that is also angry and full of hate and violence, paranoid delusions, drug addiction, A2M glorification?

i dunno-- the shoe fits?

i listen to ALL kinds of stuff-- angry or quiet and beautiful and everywhere in between. there's a lot of technique in playing fast, there's a lot of power in a big ass distorted tone, and it's pretty cathartic screaming yer balls off. a lot of people dig the counterposition of chaos and technique.. its sure an interesting one... organized chaos.

that's my guess..

but seriously-- why's anybody like anything? they just do.. it resonates.

• Members

There really is no need to start a thread like this, except to stir up some muckery and gain universal hatred towards yourself.

I guess if asking "does listening to metal music makes people more hateful and angry" makes people angry and hateful towards me it answers my question pretty well.

• Members

I guess if asking "does listening to metal music makes people more hateful and angry" makes people angry and hateful towards me it answers my question pretty well.

No, you are being condescending--which makes people angry and hateful toward you.

• Members

I'm an angry person and I can't sing very well, so screaming and yelling over aggressive music worked for me for years. It has been getting old simply because so many "vocalists" in heavy music sound the same any more, but there are a few that never get old for me.

• Members

No, you are being condescending--which makes people angry and hateful toward you.

plus, I can't make people do or feel anything, if they feel this way maybe it is something inherent about their own persona.

• Members

I'm an angry person and I can't sing very well, so screaming and yelling over aggressive music worked for me for years. It has been getting old simply because so many "vocalists" in heavy music sound the same any more, but there are a few that never get old for me.

hmm, interesting. thanks. You don't seem angry.

• Members

plus, I can't make people do or feel anything, if they feel this way maybe it is something inherent about their own persona.

Of course you can make people feel a certain way, words tend to bring that out in people.

Let's say I started a thread about, your music "Why does X music make people gay?"

You made what is called a blanket statement, which is known to be...ignorant?

• Members

I don't listen to much metal these days, but... it's something I primarily listen(ed) to for the guitars and the drums. It's not really a vocal-centric style of music. (Though I find it's becoming more so in general as it becomes more mainstream.) That being said, I think the vocal style suits the music, the energy, forcefulness and aggression of it. I don't expect poetic genius from metal lyrics- though there are some smart, thoughtful writers out there- and the overall sound and feel of the band is more meaningful to me than whatever words the vocalist might actually be saying. And sometimes I find the apparent chaos and dissonance of it oddly relaxing, perhaps because it's so rigid and structured. I used to sit and read to death metal quite frequently; the wall of abrasive sound made it easier to tune out everything else and focus on what I was reading, especially in public places.

I do tend toward darker-themed music in general, as I find it often has more meaning for me, but it's certainly never prevented me from enjoying other things, and I'm a very mellow individual.

And to the OP: what's that giant Fender head (or short Fender combo) sitting on that enormous cab in the photo in your sig? :confused:

• Members

Why?

Troll or not, Ill answer.

I think thats a pretty typical conclusion. But I listen and play it becasue I enjoy it and it pushes the boundaries both musically and physically.. Although my tastes are more towards either older Death metal, or Grindcore..

Am I angry? Nah not really in an everyday sense. I probably laugh more than most people. I do find a lot of anger in analyzing the way of the world and people though.. Make any connection you want to that..

• Members

hmm, interesting. thanks. You don't seem angry.

I'm much better these days, but I still like the heavy, angry stuff a lot. It's cathartic. I do admit that I'm more prone to just go and crank my amp and bang out some angry riffs at ear-splitting volume than scream anymore, but I still listen to some of it.

Archived