• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that song is from 77!

Black Sabbath.

or

Doctor Please - Blue Cheer

Wow, I didn't realize it was from that late. Still tho, I think the most metal riff Black Sabbath had was from the song of the same name, and that's because of the augmented fourth. Other than that, I think they had a pretty heavy, distorted, detuned thing going on. But c'mon, the gallop in Barracuda paved the way for modern metal.

• Members

chopins etudes opus 25 was the original shred and franz list. and who was that violiniist? {censored} i cant remember his name. vai used one of his licks for the end of the head cuttin duel in crossroads.

paganini?

• Members

I've heard a lot of musicologist types mention the Kinks...You Really Got Me...etc. I know I've heard them mentioned as being both "the first metal song" and "the first song with distortion" etc. Very much up to personal opinion. To me...those Kinks tunes ain't metal but hey.

• Members

chopins etudes opus 25 was the original shred and franz list. and who was that violiniist? {censored} i cant remember his name. vai used one of his licks for the end of the head cuttin duel in crossroads.

Yeah, Liszt was definitely the first virtuoso.

• Members

I've heard a lot of musicologist types mention the Kinks...You Really Got Me...etc. I know I've heard them mentioned as being both "the first metal song" and "the first song with distortion" etc. Very much up to personal opinion. To me...those Kinks tunes ain't metal but hey.

yeah. people love to throw the word "metal" around. lots of bands from the 60s love to say "we invented heavy metal". even dick dale likes to say that.

I think that, in order for something to be Metal, there should be an inherent desire to kick all asses, musically speaking.

• Members

yeah. people love to throw the word "metal" around. lots of bands from the 60s love to say "we invented heavy metal". even dick dale likes to say that.

I think that, in order for something to be Metal, there should be an inherent desire to kick all asses, musically speaking.

That's what I'm saying. I cited 'Barracuda' as an example because it has that big galloping rhythm guitar, which is a technique still used in modern metal. Being the first to use distortion, etc. does not mean you're metal.

• Members

I vote these threads are {censored}ing stupid, Being nobody here will EVER know what the true first "metal" riff was. Not to mention how the meaning of things change over time.

I mean doyou really think some dumb {censored} by a band of chicks was the first metal riff... There was probably guys underground doing things long before that {censored} came out. And nobody ever knew them since they stayed underground until their dying days.

Archived