The first reviews of Metallica's new album (contains actual review inside)

Angry Grimace

• Members

I assume, being Amp Forum, you're all aware of that hullabaloo that took place about Metallica letting some UK d00ds listen to most of the new album and then refusing to let them publish it and take it off the web.

My question: why would you even bother to let them listend if they aren't gonna report what they heard? The review in question:

(Previously posted on "the Quietus" music blog, and now taken down with just explaination implying the album sounds like "AJFA")

"It was with some trepidation . . . that I attended the playback of Metallica's new album at the HQ of Universal, their UK record company. We were permitted to hear six of the 10 tracks which will ultimately appear on the album

• Members
I assume, being Amp Forum, you're all aware of that hullabaloo that took place about Metallica letting some UK d00ds listen to most of the new album and then refusing to let them publish it and take it off the web.

My question: why would you even bother to let them listend if they aren't gonna report what they heard? The review in question:

(Previously posted on "the Quietus" music blog, and now taken down with just explaination implying the album sounds like "AJFA")

The review seems honest. From what I gather, most of the blog reviews simply sucked the band's collective dicks, but this is the one they really hated for saying anything "negative" (even though it's more positive than negative).

I don't know if this makes you excited, unexcited or what, but I did raise an eye at the idea that "Dyer's Eve" was fake sounding and a fan pandering move.
:o

I think you are taking that part about Dyer's Eve the wrong way but I don't feel like taking the time to put it into words :idk:

• Members

For older Metallica fans this is probably the best review they could possibly hear, lol. I'm actually looking forward to hearing it.

Me too. So far I get a somewhere between an ...And Justice For All and Black vibe. I also noticed they own an INSANE amount of high dollar gear. Maybe more than any other band out there...

• Members

that was a pretty straight down the middle review.

hopefully the last few songs they didnt get to hear make up for the couple of {censored} songs that we keep hearing snippets of.

I don't know that they're "{censored}," really, and I'm hardly a bastion of hope for the album. It's hard for me to judge anything by 10 seconds of riffs a song alone. The thing that concerns me more is the potential for repetitiveness, which was what made St. Anger sound like it did; the same "going nowhere" riffs for 7 minutes at a time.

Here's Blabbermouth's excerpts of the other reviews (which were much much more positive):

"UK's Rock Sound and Metal Hammer magazines have posted separate reports on the listening session for the new METALLICA album, which took place earlier today (Wednesday, June 4) in London.

Rock Sound writes: "On first impressions and just one listen, Rock Sound can confirm that the songs we've heard sound very much like classic METALLICA in vibe, harking back to the days of 'Master Of Puppets', '

• Members

Me too. So far I get a somewhere between an ...And Justice For All and Black vibe. I also noticed they own an INSANE amount of high dollar gear. Maybe more than any other band out there...

I like how the review doesn't pull any punches and doesn't really say much negative at the same time (while not being unbelievably positive). You can take it negatively if you want, but you'd have to be presuming you'd dislike the same things about the songs the reviewer disliked, and that the rest of the album (which wasn't reviewed) was bad.

• Members

I like how the review doesn't pull any punches and doesn't really say much negative at the same time (while not being unbelievably positive). You can take it negatively if you want, but you'd have to be presuming you'd dislike the same things about the songs the reviewer disliked, and that the rest of the album (which wasn't reviewed) was bad.

I don't think the negative aspects of that review were enough to validate pulling every review off the internet, which is what Q-Prime did. I'd have to hear it though, they definetely don't sound "super negative" and I could potentially like the songs they didn't. I mean, I hardly think every track of "classic" Metallica is bulletproof either.

The band's management has the wrong idea about the internet for sure. They want to be there, but they want total control at the same time, which is Axl-Rosian, i.e. completely unfeasible. I liked Guitar Jam's idea: Just name the album "Get Off Our Lawn."

• Members
I liked Guitar Jam's idea: Just name the album "Get Off Our Lawn."

That's excellent. :lol:

To be honest, I don't expect much in the way of quality songwriting. I'm planning on checking it out for the tones and production 'cause I'm an Amps Forum nerd, and there's Rick Rubin and a massive gear collection involved. But the initial reviews have me curious.

• Members
I don't think the negative aspects of that review were enough to validate pulling every review off the internet, which is what Q-Prime did. I'd have to hear it though, they definetely don't sound "super negative" and I could potentially like the songs they didn't. I mean, I hardly think every track of "classic" Metallica is bulletproof either.

The band's management has the wrong idea about the internet for sure. They want to be there, but they want total control at the same time, which is Axl-Rosian, i.e. completely unfeasible. I liked Guitar Jam's idea: Just name the album "Get Off Our Lawn."

Haha, like Paul Gilbert. :)

I agree that pulling the review is an overreaction by Q-Prime. I wouldn't be surprised if Metallica themselves were behind the decision; they can be a bit flaky about "the new world". :) A good example of this is how they encouraged bootleg distribution but then led the march to fight "file sharing" (specifically Napster at the time), yet now they're considering releasing an album for free on the Internet:

http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?H=Metallica-release-free-album&nItemID=18958

I sense a disturbance in the FLAKE. :)

• Members

Just my two cents here, take it or leave it.

I think people are always expecting too much from Metallica. St. Anger was a "stepping stone" in my view. It had some ok riffs and songs but horrible production. The bottom line is that the album is the sound of a singer coming out of rehab, two others getting off coke, and replacing a bass player who had been with them since 87'. Throw in the Napster thing, a divorce, etc. and St. Anger is exactly what should be expected.

Anyone who has seen live footage of Metallica lately can tell that they are having more fun than they have had in years and are hungry to put together some great songs again. I think the album is going to be awesome.

• Members

Just my two cents here, take it or leave it.

I think people are always expecting too much from Metallica. St. Anger was a "stepping stone" in my view. It had some ok riffs and songs but horrible production. The bottom line is that the album is the sound of a singer coming out of rehab, two others getting off coke, and replacing a bass player who had been with them since 87'. Throw in the Napster thing, a divorce, etc. and St. Anger is exactly what should be expected.

Anyone who has seen live footage of Metallica lately can tell that they are having more fun than they have had in years and are hungry to put together some great songs again. I think the album is going to be awesome.

Lars and Kirk were on coke?

Archived