Forces of Evil

daveski

• Members

I think that in fact it is the point, you can dish it out, but can you take it? Post a couple and we'll see.

You do realize how childish you appear right now, I hope.

As many before have already said, this is your thread started by you about your music. Your sudden desire to divert from that topic to that of criticising someone else's music/material reeks not only of your insecurity (which would be acceptable in and of itself), but of your lacking ability to be able to deal with any type of criticism or feedback in a mature fashion. Everyone here has tried to be more or less polite as possible given the material presented. What's your response? Questioning their musical ability. I'm only mildly surprised that you haven't attacked anyone's sexuality yet, but I expect that to be forthcoming shortly.

To summarize, quit being a dick and get your feelings off your sleeve.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
There is a reason I am the thread killer!
:D

"threadkiller" can mean either a), one who mercilessly sucks the oxygen out of reasoned discourse, or b) one who sums up the whole gist of the matter so effectively and succintly no further discussion is necessary...you are welcome to "b" but you are no match for me for "a", trust me :)

• Moderators
"threadkiller" can mean either a), one who mercilessly sucks the oxygen out of reasoned discourse, or b) one who sums up the whole gist of the matter so effectively and succintly no further discussion is necessary...you are welcome to "b" but you are no match for me for "a", trust me
:)

lol yeah, well I am more of an A) myself, usually...! ;)

• Moderators
You do realize how childish you appear right now, I hope.

As many before have already said, this is
your
thread started by
you
about
your
music. Your sudden desire to divert from that topic to that of criticising someone else's music/material reeks not only of your insecurity (which would be acceptable in and of itself), but of your lacking ability to be able to deal with any type of criticism or feedback in a mature fashion. Everyone here has tried to be more or less polite as possible given the material presented. What's your response? Questioning their musical ability. I'm only mildly surprised that you haven't attacked anyone's sexuality yet, but I expect that to be forthcoming shortly.

To summarize, quit being a dick and get your feelings off your sleeve.

Thank you! That was my point as well. Let's say we all "suck". How does that change what he asked us to review?

I am not normally a harsh person when it comes to music reviews. I understand everyone has different taste and different levels of competance. However when I see this kind of behavior I sorta get the red ass. :cool:

To lack in talent is one thing, we all do, to some extent, even the best of us.

To lack in talent and go overboard on describing your music (forbooding... :rolleyes:) is nerve grating.

To lack in talent, go overboard on describing your music, AND act like a tool when anyone offers you advice? Unacceptable.

• Members
There is a reason I am the thread killer!
:D

you {censored}ing kick ass...think that has to be mentioned.

i just gotta wonder. if i had the amount of dough this kid's saying he does (and tying his self-concept to), you bet your ass my recordings would sound 100% better - as, i wouldn't have to work with this ghetto setup I got

.....but HIS recording......uh.....

• Members

i just gotta wonder. if i had the amount of dough this kid's saying he does (and tying his self-concept to), you bet your ass my recordings would sound 100% better - as, i wouldn't have to work with this ghetto setup I got

I was going to say.....

It's not so much his songs that are un-listenable, as it is that his recordings are...

True story - with the exception of my PC, I spent a grand total of 370 dollars on the gear and software (outside of the guitars) to make my CD.....

Bottom line is, it doesn't take that much money or effort these days to make a recording that is decent in quality, especially if you're trying to sell your end product.

But this song itself wasn't that great or thought-provoking, and I'm pretty much an evangelical atheist.

:wave:

• Moderators

:thu:

• Moderators
I was going to say.....

It's not so much his songs that are un-listenable, as it is that his recordings are...

True story - with the exception of my PC, I spent a grand total of 370 dollars on the gear and software (outside of the guitars) to make my CD.....

Bottom line is, it doesn't take that much money or effort these days to make a recording that is decent in quality, especially if you're trying to sell your end product.

But this song itself wasn't that great or thought-provoking, and I'm pretty much an evangelical atheist.

He speaks the trut'! I've heard his stuff and he rocks!! :)

• Members

This kid is 54 years old, and knows better not to spend/waste money on a hobby that will show no discernable returns. I used what I have here at home to make the recordings and thats that. I guess its wrong to experiment with something unless I have spent the proper amount of $$$ on the gear approved by the know-it-alls and wanna-bees in this forum, and do it in the format/ style that they approve of. At least I know my place in the whole scheme of things; reading many of these posts I can see many of you take yourselves much too seriously. BTW, I wasn't the one who brought up the $$$ thing, I was merely responding to a smart-ass post, of which there are an overabundance. If you make personal attacks on my meagre talents, I do expect that you have the chops to back up those judgements.

• Moderators
This kid is 54 years old, and knows better not to spend/waste money on a hobby that will show no discernable returns. I used what I have here at home to make the recordings and thats that. I guess its wrong to experiment with something unless I have spent the proper amount of $$$ on the gear approved by the know-it-alls and wanna-bees in this forum, and do it in the format/ style that they approve of. At least I know my place in the whole scheme of things; reading many of these posts I can see many of you take yourselves much too seriously. BTW, I wasn't the one who brought up the $$$ thing, I was merely responding to a smart-ass post, of which there are an overabundance. If you make personal attacks on my meagre talents, I do expect that you have the chops to back up those judgements.

:cry:

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

You're a jerk, and for 54 years of age, I am guessing mildly retarded as well. :wave:

• Members

This kid is 54 years old, and knows better not to spend/waste money on a hobby that will show no discernable returns.

Yea, but I just showed that you can spend almost no money to make a great sounding recording... for 100 bucks for a USB A/D pre-amp computer interface and some free software (search for Reaper multi-track) you can up your recording game by 100%, and it wouldn't cost much of anything. I guarantee your music and talent will come through much more once you go a little more hi-fi........

• Members

OK, after all this talk, I actually went back and listened to the song, and in all honesty, it isn't that bad. I admit, this type of music really isn't my thing, but I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible. It seems you actually do have a fair amount of musical talent, and I totally got the "evil, forboding" feel you describe. So in that sense, you were successful in doing what you set out to do, at least in my point of view.

However, in keeping with this honesty, it does go on for quite a bit too long, and my mind started to wander less than halfway through. To elaborate on what I think bluesway was trying to get at earlier, there is no contrast within the song, no highs or lows, no loud or soft dynamics, no peaks or valleys to reflect certain words or particular lines of lyric,--it's just the same continous thing all the way through, which can get monotonous after a while. When I hear this type of music, I think of Henry Rollins. Not a huge fan of him, either, but from what I have heard of his music, he uses this technique--he'll have a soft build up, leading to a loud, angry section, and that sort of contrast keeps the listener from getting too bored.

And just to reflect what others have said, the recording is fine if you are just trying to get your rough ideas down on tape, or if it's just for your own personal enjoyment, but if you plan on doing anything else with these things, you may want to invest in some recording software. It'll improve the sound of your recordings a great deal, and really doesn't cost much.

Anyway, I really don't think it's as bad as people have said. I think the problem was that your posts just took on this "I know better than you--screw you if you don't agree with me" sort of tone that just rubbed people the wrong way. On an internet message board, it's really hard to tell how certain statements are meant to be taken, and had you exercised a bit more diplomacy, you might have gotten a better reaction. Hopefully, there's no hard feelings.

• Members

OK, after all this talk, I actually went back and listened to the song, and in all honesty, it isn't
that
bad. I admit, this type of music really isn't my thing, but I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible. It seems you actually do have a fair amount of musical talent, and I totally got the "evil, forboding" feel you describe. So in that sense, you were successful in doing what you set out to do, at least in my point of view.

However, in keeping with this honesty, it does go on for quite a bit too long, and my mind started to wander less than halfway through. To elaborate on what I think bluesway was trying to get at earlier, there is no contrast within the song, no highs or lows, no loud or soft dynamics, no peaks or valleys to reflect certain words or particular lines of lyric,--it's just the same continous thing all the way through, which can get monotonous after a while. When I hear this type of music, I think of Henry Rollins. Not a huge fan of him, either, but from what I have heard of his music, he uses this technique--he'll have a soft build up, leading to a loud, angry section, and that sort of contrast keeps the listener from getting too bored.

And just to reflect what others have said, the recording is fine if you are just trying to get your rough ideas down on tape, or if it's just for your own personal enjoyment, but if you plan on doing anything else with these things, you may want to invest in some recording software. It'll improve the sound of your recordings a great deal, and really doesn't cost much.

Anyway, I really don't think it's as bad as people have said. I think the problem was that your posts just took on this "I know better than you--screw you if you don't agree with me" sort of tone that just rubbed people the wrong way. On an internet message board, it's really hard to tell how certain statements are meant to be taken, and had you exercised a bit more diplomacy, you might have gotten a better reaction. Hopefully, there's no hard feelings.

I didn't disagree with what anyone said about the song, other than the disparaging remarks and blatant disrespect I got from a couple of posters. Yes, it is monotone and preaching, and I thought that the music background was ominous sounding, but I guess everybody has a different take on that too. I am sorry if my replies seemed like I felt I was right and everybody was wrong, because that's not what I meant to convey; I thought I was merely explaining some of my motivation to do what I did. And yes, the whole purpose of the recordings was to get some ideas/concepts and other stuff I had been fooling with down on tape. As can be witnessed, I am far from the mainstream and proud of it.

BTW justcrash, post them clips or STFU.

• Moderators

BTW justcrash, post them clips or STFU.

Whats the matter, precious? You can't use the search button? I guess you still haven't grasped why the premise of your argument is not sound, I see?

Go whine about the system some more... :rolleyes:

• Members

I guess its wrong to experiment with something unless I have spent the proper amount of $$$ on the gear approved by the know-it-alls and wanna-bees in this forum, and do it in the format/ style that they approve of.

It's not wrong at all. What's wrong is thinking it's all good enough to share with the world and that it's above criticism.

Not every thought is profound and needs to be written down. Not every painting needs to be hung in a gallery, or even on a fridge door. And not every song nees to be recorded, let alone posted on the internet. You seem like you're fairly prolific, but everything you do seems to have the same amateurish sound, the same flaws in the recording, and the same problems with the song structures.

I'm just sayin'.

Oh, and since you seem to think that citicism needs to be qualified, here ya go. Fire away.

http://music.download.com/patcoast/3600-8425-100612999.html?tag=MDL_quickurl

• Members

I guess its wrong to experiment with something unless I have spent the proper amount of $$$ on the gear approved by the know-it-alls and wanna-bees in this forum, and do it in the format/ style that they approve of.

It's not wrong at all. What's wrong is thinking it's all good enough to share with the world and that it's above criticism.

Not every thought is profound and needs to be written down. Not every painting needs to be hung in a gallery, or even on a fridge door. And not every song nees to be recorded, let alone posted on the internet. You seem like you're fairly prolific, but everything you do seems to have the same amateurish sound, the same flaws in the recording, and the same problems with the song structures.

I'm just sayin'.

Oh, and since you seem to think that citicism needs to be qualified, here ya go. Fire away.

I look at it this way ,,, its a whiney bitch theme performed by a whiney bitch.>>> I can handle home brew amateur recording ,,, i produce enough of that myself lol. rat

• Moderators

I'm just sayin'.

http://music.download.com/patcoast/3600-8425-100612999.html?tag=MDL_quickurl

Well hell, if you're going to indulge him... ;)

Here is one I wrote all of the parts for and sang back up on a while ago:

http://www.dariankovach.com/these_2_eyes.MP3

• Members

OK, after all this talk, I actually went back and listened to the song, and in all honesty, it isn't
that
bad. . . .

there is no contrast within the song, no highs or lows, no loud or soft dynamics, no peaks or valleys to reflect certain words or particular lines of lyric,--it's just the same continous thing all the way through, which can get monotonous after a while. .

that's really the CORE of what i was saying, except that i felt the backing track wasn't developed even a little bit. i can't get foreboding out of a steady dynamic and - usually - something that could convey that kind of 'discomfort' in a listener doesn't come out well in blues scale riffs.

he can make it better. it can enter a new sound spectrum. there's an AMAZING sense of foreboding to a tool song i love - track 69 on undertow. it's patient (this wasn't), it's dynamic (this wasn't), it avoids patterns (this didn't)....all in all , it's a great study on how to do this. i probably referenced the wrong song to the wrong man in my original post - although that tune is fantastic and he'd get alot out of giving it an educated listen. he isn't privy to MMW. (not that he wouldn't understand it, but just isn't familiar with them)

and i never said that this was that bad. . . . dave's response to the criticism was, however.

and let's face it: this thread's entertainment value has extended far beyond that of the initial song's!

i really don't mean to cut anybody down. i'm just honest...and i won't let 'internet chivalry' get in the way of that - that'd be {censored}ing ridiculous. .......and if there were no "wanna-bees" (which i'm sure i was included in that statement), where would the next generation of songwriters come from?

• Members

and let's face it: this thread's entertainment value has extended
far
beyond that of the initial song's!

And yes I listened to the justcrash song, that you sang back up on for a total of what - 30 seconds, and wrote the music. I couldn't help but notice that you didn't mention playing any of the instruments, and yet you have the audacity to criticize my playing and general musical skills??? Attempting to drag people down to your level of self-perception isn't going to raise you up. I cannot imagine your level of frustration and pain, knowing that even after all you've said about me, you realize that I am still many rungs above you on the ladder.

BTW, not a bad song, but the same old same old like one hears incessantly on any number of internet radio stations.

Archived