Forces of Evil

daveski

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

According to Wikipedia: 'Critical mass is a concept used in a variety of contexts, including physics, group dynamics, politics, public opinion, and technology.'

I can tell you this ,, my critical mass had been getting kicked in the ass here this last number of days... I will be glad when the final bunch of mutineers get off the financial ship. Because hopfully some people are going to be buying here later in the week. My critical mass could use a boost lol. rat

• Members

A song that preaches the gospel of anti-religion will have a built-in audience much the same as a song about Your Deity of Choice will have a built-in audience. But preaching to the choir requires much less art or talent than telling a story in a way to make someone actually think and question their POV.

• Members

I didn't start wanting it to be 'preachy' as some have said, but, in defense of the results, the guys on the other side of the spectrum (organized religion and politics) are 'preachy' all the time.

Yeah, but the question you have to ask yourself is: Does it work? Does it make you want to listen to those guys? Or does it make you want to just tell them to shut up?

Bluesway has some good advice:

especially for something liek this where you really want to express a sentiment, you have to use a GREAT amount of artistic thought in your approach...something where even the most devout christian would hear it and HAVE to say, "damn....that was well-done. i can't agree with any of it, but it was well-done."

But it appears as if no matter what advice we give you, you don't want to hear it anyway, as your mind is already made up. Which begs the question, why'd ya post it in the first place?

• Members

I can tell you this ,, my critical mass had been getting kicked in the ass here this last number of days... I will be glad when the final bunch of mutineers get off the financial ship. Because hopfully some people are going to be buying here later in the week. My critical mass could use a boost lol. rat

I pulled out of the stock market a few years ago. My returns haven't been anything to write home about, but they are always there and never decrease. My 401k took a hit of 75k in the first big drop a few years ago and it took over a year to recover it. Sometime after it got back to even value, I changed it to a more conservative fund mix and lucky I did, because if I would have left it in the stock market fund I would have taken about a 50k hit in the next market drop. Good Luck with your CM.

• Members

I didn't have any real problem with it other than vocal delivery. I think you should get drunk, and do it like Mark E. Smith.

We have a guy in town here that has a vocal delivery akin to that of Mark E. Smith, maybe I should recruit him for my next musical lesson in spirituality.

• Members

how should I diversify my portfolio to {censored} over the government AND organized religion, while bringing home modest gains?

Become a libertarian evangelist of agnosticism? (is that how you spell it?)

• Members

then be sure to post some clips for our scrutiny.

No offense, but this is sort of a juvenile response, isn't it? It's like saying I can't criticise Derek Jeter for swinging at 3 pitches in a row that are in the dirt because I'm not a better baseball player. Just because someone who critices you (or me) can't do what you do doesn't mean everything you (or I) do is good. Especially when you put it up for criticism in the first place.

I'm just sayin'.

• Moderators

then be sure to post some clips for our scrutiny.

I guess that isn't the point, is it? You posted it for people to check out. People didn't like it so then you flipped your dick switch. It was awful, most people were being polite. Even if you removed the fact you can't sing, the song is absolutely monotonous and unlistenable, the fact that the lyrics sound like they were written by a high schooler who figured out what is cool to rebel against, you would still be left with utter {censored}e for musical ability.

There, that's the truth. Aren't ya glad you got everyone's attention now?

It has nothing to do with your political views. I like RATM, the Dixie Chicks, Mellancamp (sp?) and plenty of other outspoken politcal acts. What do they have you don't? Talent, an ability to write a melody, at least a fundamental understanding of the instrument of their choice and most importantly, the ability to receive reviews on their music without taking it personally.

I HAVE posted PLENTY of my stuff on other forums and I have received criticism, both good and bad and you can be damn sure I didn't turn into an incorrigible child over them. :wave:

• Members

I pulled out of the stock market a few years ago. My returns haven't been anything to write home about, but they are always there and never decrease. My 401k took a hit of 75k in the first big drop a few years ago and it took over a year to recover it. Sometime after it got back to even value, I changed it to a more conservative fund mix and lucky I did, because if I would have left it in the stock market fund I would have taken about a 50k hit in the next market drop. Good Luck with your CM.

This is OT ,, but i feel obilgated to make it. If you are in funds ,, you are in the stock market. The beauty of funds is that you can invest small dollar amounts and reap the balanced position of the fund... you also get dollar cost averaging , due to when dividends are declared and the market is down ,, you get more shared for your dollar. I took a 2 pecent hit on this sell off last week. Yea its a bite ,, but if i had been in a non balanced position ,,, and swinging for the financial fenced it would have been alot worse. Ok ,, back to our regular scheduled programing. rat

• Members

Become a libertarian evangelist of agnosticism? (is that how you spell it?)

I guess it's always strange to hear people who believe that governmental institutions are inherently evil dream about a world where everything is determined by unconstrained market forces--which is what I understand the libertarian utopia to be. Certainly not contradictory...I understand librertarians hate the nanny state and {censored}...but the open market, really?

• Members

I guess that isn't the point, is it? You posted it for people to check out. People didn't like it so then you flipped your dick switch. It was awful, most people were being polite. Even if you removed the fact you can't sing, the song is absolutely monotonous and unlistenable, the fact that the lyrics sound like they were written by a high schooler who figured out what is cool to rebel against, you would still be left with utter {censored}e for musical ability.

It has nothing to do with your political views. I like RATM, the Dixie Chicks, Mellancamp (sp?) and plenty of other outspoken politcal acts. What do they have you don't? Talent, an ability to write a melody, at least a fundamental understanding of the instrument of their choice and most importantly, the ability to receive reviews on their music without taking it personally.

I HAVE posted PLENTY of my stuff on other forums and I have received criticism, both good and bad and you can be damn sure I didn't turn into an incorrigible child over them.
:wave:

:eek: ouch.

• Members

Yes, it certainly isn't rocket science (the music part) but after listening to your songs Mr Bluesway, I can tell you aren't into what I do at all. I felt the song was like some Rob Zombie stuff I had heard, and meant to be ominous and foreboding, mean and evil. After reading what most everybody has said about the song, I think I accomplshed what I wanted to accomplish. I didn't start wanting it to be 'preachy' as some have said, but, in defense of the results, the guys on the other side of the spectrum (organized religion and politics) are 'preachy' all the time. A couple of people have mentioned that I should be more concise. I thought I was very straight to the point with no wasted words. I guess thats being overbearing and preachy. Again, thanks for the input all.

wow.....ur a bit too defensive here, man......i guess that's why i can't resist commenting again.......i actually love hard rock...some of rob zombie's stuff, i even dug on a visceral level. (i actually own the first white zombie record) :D

if you want a direct relation to what you wrote...it didn't come across as mean and evil....it came across as a kid who learned his blues scales and rocks over minor riffs. when i think 'mean and evil,' i'm thinking like Tool (one of my all-time fave bands - despite what my home recordings would suggest to be my taste :freak::D ) you used the word 'foreboding.' i think you're being a little self-congradulatory if you say that's the effect it got.....it wasn't...not musically, and 'obviously - as you put it' not lyrically either.

anyway, i understand all the other posts put you on the defensive big time before you got to mine, but believe it or not....YOU CAN get better...and so can every piece of music you create....it just doesn't sound done yet.

now, back to my musical rocket science lab.....:D

• Members

So what you are saying is that....

Because I have a particular point of view I shouldn't express it just in case someone doesn't agree with me.

Music has never been utilized to express an opinion or viewpoint.

i think he's saying your song is about as likable as a prostate exam

• Members

I HAVE posted PLENTY of my stuff on other forums and I have received criticism, both good and bad and you can be damn sure I didn't turn into an incorrigible child over them.
:wave:

I think that in fact it is the point, you can dish it out, but can you take it? Post a couple and we'll see.

• Moderators

I think that in fact it is the point, you can dish it out, but can you take it? Post a couple and we'll see.

You're not very observant, are ya, slick? This is YOUR thread, you screamed "LOOK AT ME!! WAIT.. YOU DON'T LIKE IT!?!? {censored} YOU!!"

I have plenty of my postings in other threads. Utilize the search. Or go back to the shed and practice. Everything. :wave:

Archived