Forces of Evil

daveski

• Moderators
And yes I listened to the justcrash song, that you sang back up on for a total of what - 30 seconds, and wrote the music. I couldn't help but notice that you didn't mention playing any of the instruments, and yet you have the audacity to criticize my playing and general musical skills??? Attempting to drag people down to your level of self-perception isn't going to raise you up. I cannot imagine your level of frustration and pain, knowing that even after all you've said about me, you realize that I am still many rungs above you on the ladder.

BTW, not a bad song, but the same old same old like one hears incessantly on any number of internet radio stations.

lol, I accept your "critiques", as they were. I had assumed people understood I played guitar on it, and as I said, composed the bass parts and the melody as well as the lyrics. I am guessing this is simply more evidence that you simply aren't that bright. :cool:

If you truly believe you are "many rungs" above me on the ladder, well, you are welcome to your opinion. :wave:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I cannot imagine your level of frustration and pain, knowing that even after all you've said about me, you realize that I am still many rungs above you on the ladder.

*Wishes to one day be as good as Daveski*

:freak:

• Members
and i never said that this was
that
bad. . . . dave's response to the criticism
was
, however.

I know, which is why I cited yours rather than some of the less civilized responses. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking this this thread's hostility is all on account of one person. When is it ever really?

and let's face it: this thread's entertainment value has extended
far
beyond that of the initial song's!

I agree. Gotta have a little drama up in this place. :cool:

• Members

If you make personal attacks on my meagre talents, I do expect that you have the chops to back up those judgements.

If you require credentials before someone can opine on your work, maybe you should save your submissions for Julliard, or some other similarly august panel of judges...

... but If you did, the response you are getting here would seem friendly by comparison.

Ironically though...based on your logic that if religions are preachy, then it is OK for your song to be preachy too - if you lack talent, it should be especially appropriate if others who lack talent were the ones to comment.

Not that your responders lack talent... I'm just pointing out the fallacy of your logic on that one issue.

As for you song. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard. And if you hadn't posted it with a giant chip already on your shoulder, you might have gotten some good advice on how to improve it. ( I think you did anyway, if you were listening)

• Members

If you require credentials before someone can opine on your work, maybe you should save your submissions for Julliard, or some other similarly august panel of judges...

... but If you did, the response you are getting here would seem friendly by comparison.

Ironically though...based on your logic that if religions are preachy, then it is OK for your song to be preachy too - if you lack talent, it should be especially appropriate if others who lack talent were the ones to comment.

Not that your responders lack talent... I'm just pointing out the fallacy of your logic on that one issue.

As for you song. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard. And if you hadn't posted it with a giant chip already on your shoulder, you might have gotten some good advice on how to improve it. ( I think you did anyway, if you were listening)

Alright...we could probably pull a good list of why davinski's a dick and stupid and why he's failed at music...etc. etc. etc. However, I don't think this analogy you're drawing really makes a hypocrite out of Davinski. I can draw the analogy to understand your point...but I don't think that the entailment you draw from it is necessary. In fact, it seems like a bit of a stretch.

I'm not saying he's not a hypocrite...just taking issue with the fancy talk.

• Members
Alright...we could probably pull a good list of why davinski's a dick and stupid and why he's failed at music...etc. etc. etc. However, I don't think this analogy you're drawing really makes a hypocrite out of Davinski. I can draw the analogy to understand your point...but I don't think that the entailment you draw from it is necessary. In fact, it seems like a bit of a stretch.

I'm not saying he's not a hypocrite...just taking issue with the fancy talk.

I'm not sure if you are referring to my comment about credentials or preachiness... but I can see your point - except I wasn't really commenting on hippocracy, just unreasonableness.

Mind you. I probably shouldn't have posted at all, since everything looks to have already been said in spades. It's just that I have seen alot of goodwill on this site, even towards rank beginners, and so I was moved to add my 2 cents in defense of the forum at large.

And I'll try to keep the fancy talk to a minimum. I'm actually really trying hard to unlearn that habit, since it makes my attempts at writting song lyrics really didactic and boring. :)

• Members
I'm not sure if you are referring to my comment about credentials or preachiness... but I can see your point - except I wasn't really commenting on hippocracy, just unreasonableness.

Mind you. I probably shouldn't have posted at all, since everything looks to have already been said in spades. It's just that I have seen alot of goodwill on this site, even towards rank beginners, and so I was moved to add my 2 cents in defense of the forum at large.

And I'll try to keep the fancy talk to a minimum. I'm actually really trying hard to unlearn that habit, since it makes my attempts at writting song lyrics really didactic and boring.
:)

I should clarify that is wasn't your fancy talk that bothered me...but more the "by the same logic" argument. And I don't object on principle...it's just that I don't think the conclusion follows from the analogy.

Basically...I was dismissing what you said because in order to demonstrate it, I'd have to talk all fancy. I guess I just objected to stretching to find new reasons this guy's a douche, when we've already covered so much territory.

Don't hang yourself Dave!

• Members

who cares if he's a hypocrite? hypocrisy never speaks to the issue, anyway.

he's a guy who hates organized....stuff. :D it's his prerogative.

i listened to his music. i took it for what it was. it could be better.

you guys obviously have a strong sense of logic and the ability to tie two relative ends together in order to make analogies and comparisons. i respect that. as the husband of a lawyer who basically did much of the english-language writing for my wife through her j.d., i truly respect that. (she got her degree from UPR - as in Puerto Rico)

but inherent in everybody's posts here is the idea of talent, and i'm a music educator...and i think the amount of emphasis that has been put on talent in this particular thread, but as a whole, by musicians in general is absurd. although not completely to be disregarded, talent (herein, i'll refer to it as aptitude) is a starting point. nothing more.

the theory of multiple intelligences (something i truly believe in) suggests that we have different aptitudes in different areas, but every area is developable. now, a younger (pre-pubescent) brain will develop far faster than any of ours, but it's not impossible to grow at any age. to say that someone lacks the aptitude and therefore can't make an artistically-effective piece of music (or, in this case, an artistically-INeffective piece of music into an artistically-effective piece of music) is pretentious and a bit elitist on our parts.

writing daveski off as a talentless hack who has "failed" at anything is both unfair to him and to us as artists - even if he is a dick in how he handled criticism (separate issue, really). that would be analogous to saying that we started at our respective levels and there is such a thing as arrival as an artist like there is in other career paths. yes, you can get your degree and have goals, but those are usually non-artistic goals...and art takes life to develop. i plan on having ten times the musical depth i currently have in a few years. wait me out and see for yourself. ;)

i know this thread's deader than a 1980's crack whore, but i had to address this 'talent' bull{censored}. i'm not talented. i worked my ass off...and i'm still working.

(although i did find it a bit funny when daveski said we take ourselves too seriously. for some reason, i just don't think you can talk about OTHERS taking themselves too seriously when you post a tune like that - obviously intended to be taken very seriously by his listener(s) )

• Members

to say that someone lacks the aptitude and therefore can't make an artistically-effective piece of music (or, in this case, an artistically-INeffective piece of music
into
an artistically-effective piece of music) is pretentious and a bit elitist on our parts.

I couldn't agree with you more. But I didn't get the sense that people were implying that Daveski didn't have the aptitude to create an artistically effective piece of music.

I felt they were responding first to his idea that they had to meet some criteria of aptitude before they had the right to comment on his work, and secondly that his attitude seemed to preclude the possibility of his aptitude ever developing much further.

I think its great that there is a forum like this were beginers (like myself) can put their stuff out there for feedback, no matter how basic their aptitude may be... and I have seen here some great constructive criticism, and encouragement, of some very basic aptitude - but if one is going to put oneself out here, one has to be prepared to take constructive criticism constructively.

• Members

and you people are still posting about this????

Like I said before, many of you take yourselves way too seriously.

Wonderful thing about America, we have freedom of choice and freedom of expression. If you don't like my songs, use your freedon of choice to not listen to them, and your freedom of expression to comment about them; just as I have done to write them in the first place, even if I haven't reached such a high level of consciousness and talent as all of my judges here.

• Members

Wonderful thing about America, we have freedom of choice and freedom of expression. If you don't like my songs, use your freedon of choice to not listen to them, and your freedom of expression to comment about them; just as I have done to write them in the first place, even if I haven't reached such a high level of consciousness and talent as all of my judges here.

Hi. I'm not as diplomatic as some of the forum members...

If you post your music for people to listen to, and to get feedback...accept the feedback. Good or bad. Just take it, say thank you for listening, and go on your merry way. You know as well as anyone else that what we say here won't change your attitude about your music.

When you first posted you were fighting against those who took the time to listen, and write about what you've done. Being grateful, and thankful goes a long way, and if you can't understand that you have more to learn than recording techniques.

I don't like your music, and it's as simple as that. If you want people to listen to/buy your music, you might want to pay attention to what they want. You shouldn't ask people to listen to {censored}ty music, and then suggest that they lack the "talent" to adequately judge you. No way. Create a better product. Otherwise, just do yourself a favor and stop recording.

:wave:

• Members

lol. i know. but you do have a gift for taking things out of context. this is really entertaining.

• Moderators
Hi. I'm not as diplomatic as some of the forum members...

If you post your music for people to listen to, and to get feedback...accept the feedback. Good or bad. Just take it, say thank you for listening, and go on your merry way. You know as well as anyone else that what we say here won't change your attitude about your music.

When you first posted you were fighting against those who took the time to listen, and write about what you've done. Being grateful, and thankful goes a long way, and if you can't understand that you have more to learn than recording techniques.

I don't like your music, and it's as simple as that. If you want people to listen to/buy your music, you might want to pay attention to what they want. You shouldn't ask people to listen to {censored}ty music, and then suggest that they lack the "talent" to adequately judge you. No way. Create a better product. Otherwise, just do yourself a favor and stop recording.

:wave:

+1 the guy simply doesn't get it. Had he not been a cock, perhaps he wouldn't have been spoken to like a cock? :idea:

Archived