Mark III gain question

claffman

• Members

It probably has as much gain as a Recto... it just doesnt seem like it as much, because its much clearer, and not as saturated....

That's the thing I'm looking for. A good basic heavy gain that I can adjust with boost/od/eq, ect..

The Recto isn't my thing. The Mark IV gain is cool but not quite right. I have an amp for cleans so that's not an issue.

• Members

That's the thing I'm looking for. A good basic heavy gain that I can adjust with boost/od/eq, ect..

The Recto isn't my thing. The Mark IV gain is cool but not quite right. I have an amp for cleans so that's not an issue.

The Mark III lead channel sounds almost identical to the Mark IV lead channel. It's just a tad more aggressive. If you don't like the Mark IV sound, I doubt you would like the Mark III sound. BTW, have you played a Mark IV, or just heard recordings?

• Members

Its going to be similar to a mark IV. Same basic family voice, but the III is more pissed off... a little more aggressive and.... "Marshally".

• Members

The Mark III has way more gain on tap than a Recto, I have a Mark III, and a Tremoverb, and the III is leaner and meaner by a long shot, I usually run the MIII with the gain at about 2-3(out of 10), and I love my gain.

• Members

I have my III setup with volume 9, lead drive 3, and lead master 3, and I get a good amount of gain, here's a crappy YouTube clip of my Mark III with those settings.

Mind the chugga chugga playing, was listening to alot of Melvins, and 80's trash.
[YOUTUBE]getPcpCjuRE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Plenty of gain, I run the drive on mine at 3 to 4 with volume 1 at 7.

But it never fails to amaze me when guys in here post about running thier 5150's with the gain dimed. So maybe it will be enough gain for you, or maybe not..............:idk:

• Members
I have my III setup with volume 9, lead drive 3, and lead master 3, and I get a good amount of gain, here's a crappy YouTube clip of my Mark III with those settings.

Mind the chugga chugga playing, was listening to alot of Melvins, and 80's trash.

:thu:

I need to run a test some time of the volume high vs the lead drive high. See how it adds the gain.

to OP:

The weird thing about Mark IIIs in general, is almost every knob effects the gain in some way. Its hard to just say "I run the gain at x" without knowing the other settings. Having more treble will add gain, if you turn on R2 and Lead at the same time, it will get more saturated and have more gain, etc...

• Members

The Blue stripe I owned had a ton of gain. The voicing of the amp was a touch different from the Mark IV in that it was a bit more extended in the low end and the highs weren't as rounded off as the Mark IV's. It was indeed a bit more aggressive, but could be tamed and smoothed down if I ran the Presence between 0 and 2.

Like Shask said above, nearly all of the knobs on the amp have an effect on the gain in some way, shape or form.

• Members

Just like Shask said, each knob along with the push/pull and GEQ really affect the tone, you can hear the differences between the pull bright, or pull deep. Personally my settings are around

Volume 1 Pulled: 8

Treble Pulled - 7.5

Bass - 1

Mids - 3.5

Master - 3.5

Lead Drive - 7.5-8

Lead Master Pulled: 2-2.5

GEQ can be messed aroudn with, I usually have it in a slight V, with the treble slider around the center.

• Members

The Mark III has way more gain on tap than a Recto, I have a Mark III, and a Tremoverb, and the III is leaner and meaner by a long shot, I usually run the MIII with the gain at about 2-3(out of 10), and I love my gain.

lol wut

• Members
Just like Shask said, each knob along with the push/pull and GEQ really affect the tone, you can hear the differences between the pull bright, or pull deep. Personally my settings are around

Volume 1 Pulled: 8

Treble Pulled - 7.5

Bass - 1

Mids - 3.5

Master - 3.5

Lead Drive - 7.5-8

Lead Master Pulled: 2-2.5

GEQ can be messed aroudn with, I usually have it in a slight V, with the treble slider around the center.

I just tried those settings and those are pretty good.:thu:

• Members

I feel that I get plenty of gain in my Mark III. I sometimes use my TS9 to clean boost the Mark III when I only play it through the combo, and without a cab, because it feels very loose alone. When playing it through a cab, the TS9 is not necessary for me, because it is tight enough.

Archived