Swapping EMG's for BKP Warpig........

Iron Lotus

• Members

Are there really any passive pickups that get the super hot feel of an EMG while remaining more open and natural?? Or are there active pickups that have a more natural, and less fizzy/sterile tone??

-Curtis

+1 on that question.

I actually dont mind the sound of the EMG's

im just looking for somehing bigger and better

without sounding the same as the billions of emgs.

• Members

Are there really any passive pickups that get the super hot feel of an EMG while remaining more open and natural?? Or are there active pickups that have a more natural, and less fizzy/sterile tone??

-Curtis

I like EMG85's. I was told that Dimarzio D Activators are really great passive pickups that get the active vibe. I have one coming this week.We shall see...

• Members

IM a emg fan and have them in many of my guitars but i also have a ceramic warpig and its really nice. its got lots of gain but still sounds really clear, its very thick sounding in lows and its got a low mid growl. its very tight and has a quicker pick responce than most passives. i would say its darker sounding than alot of other pickups, i use mine in a alder bodied guitar with a maple neck and i think it matches up pretty good.:thu:

• Members

Yep ive been listening and talking to them as well. But Im a little afraid of some of them being really biased since it is the BKP forum. Ive only heard 1 decent recording of a low tuned Ceramic Warpig.

Im just trying to justify the expense, and preperation its going to take

to do the whole thing.

One of the guys in The Safety Fire posts on the BKP forum as well as here and I think he uses Ceramic Pigs and Nailbombs. He's done loads of great clips with em through a Pod and an Engl.

Heres his soundclick page - www.soundclick.com/parkadez

I use Bareknuckles as well but the lower output ones as I have no use for the metal ones (though I kinda want an ibanez with nailbombs :o). Mules and Mississippi Queens are GREAT pickups, definitely some of the best I've used.

• Members

To the guy that said that the A5 nailbomb is more organic than the normal nailbomb: the normal nailbomb IS a5 :lol:

The C-Pig is about 21.5k. Its a little underwound compared to an A5 pig because of the more powerfull magnet.

• Members

Just my opinion, but I think its ridiculous to spend that much coin on a pickup.

Sorta agree, unless said pup nails the tone you're seeking/hearing in your head and nothing else does.

• Members

Sorta agree, unless said pup nails the tone you're seeking/hearing in your head and nothing else does.

But if you're just hearing those clips through your computer speakers and not in person, isn't it a pretty pricey risk?

I loved the sound of those ... what are they called "rebel yell" (think that's right), but for about $400 for the bridge and neck:freak: I'm happy with good ole DiMarzio pup

• Members

They do have a returns policy if you dont like it, I think Tim will swap it for something else in the range or could just offer a refund?

I've used a few other brands of pickups and they just didnt sound as lively or clear as the Bareknuckles, even other handwound ones like BG Pickups. My pickups have a really open uncompressed sound which is just great :love:

Yeah I'm a Bareknuckle fanboy :o

• Members

If you like emgs but want something that breathes more but with similar output try the duncan distortion. It really is like a thicker, more open emg 81. It is still somewhat compressed, but it sounds a LOT beefier than the 81 and has just as much output imo.

• Members

I tried a Dean Hardtail with D-Activators in a shop and found them to be alright.

P.s. I've been searching for a Dean Hardtail with D-Activators on the net, but I don't see it anywheres.

Anyone else seen these deans with the Dimarzios?

• Members

I did find my bkp to sound clearer and quieter than my other passives.

My thoughts exactly. My warpigs growl like {censored}, but they still have TONNES of string definition even with the gain on 11.

The Owner/Designer of BareKnuckle Pickups has even made a statement about the strict properties he tries to maintain in his pickups, which are crunchy as {censored}, but clear and as organic sounding as possible.

This is the main reason why he wont even CONSIDER making active pickups.

• Members

My thoughts exactly. My warpigs growl like {censored}, but they still have TONNES of string definition even with the gain on 11.

The Owner/Designer of BareKnuckle Pickups has even made a statement about the strict properties he tries to maintain in his pickups, which are crunchy as {censored}, but clear and as organic sounding as possible.

I think the warpig would be too hot for me. I like hot. My distortions are rated at 16.4 k i believe. But 21k i think would just be too over the top and take away dynamics.

• Members

I had a Rebel Yell and it was perfect for 80s rock. I rarely play that though so I got rid of it :o

btw this track was recorded by Tim in his old Ozzy tribute (dont think he's with them any more). He's using a Les Paul loaded with Miracle Man pickups into a Keeley 5-star SD1 then a JCM800ZW and V30s. If you dont think thats the perfect heavy tone then your ears are {censored}ed :mad:

• Members

I think the warpig would be too hot for me. I like hot. My distortions are rated at 16.4 k i believe. But 21k i think would just be too over the top and take away dynamics.

You would be very suprised. Even the warpig has more dynamics than any Duncan I've ever played.

• Members

Well I just did the 18 volt mod to my Eclipse since I read up on it and

it was rediculously easy to do. So I will be able to test it out at

band volume in a couple days. Hopefully it will take away some of

the sterile vibe and sound bigger and clearer than normal.

And checked my amps bias, it was around 35mA. I put it to

like 32.4mA Plus have the TS-9 on its way, and the parts

and JRC45580 chip to 808 mod it. And also the Gold pin ecc83

on its way along with a regular ecc83 for the first 2 gain stages.

The tung sol will take over the 3rd slot from the right now.

I think with all this..... I just may have something to be even

more proud of with the live sound of my rig. :thu:

• Members

I've got a nailbomb in the bridge and a coldsweat in the neck of my

Carvin DC727 7 string and they absolutely brought that guitar to life.

Both Alnico magnets, both very organic and open sounding, just great pickups

for playing lead, the nailbomb just sings.

I've got a Miracle man coming for the bridge of my Ibanez 7620 as I 'm looking for a little bit of a tigher rhythm sound out of my 7620.

todgemistro , that clip you posted of Tim using MM's in his Les Paul

(IMO) sounds great! :thu:

The Miracleman is supposedly a littler tighter than the Nailbomb and a bit scooped.

• Members

COOL. :cool:

• Members

try the painkiller or a ceramic nailbomb :thu:

they have a similar EQ to the sh-6 but A LOT more percussive and clearer

I love the miracle man too, but this is one closer to the EMG 81 and dimebucker EQ curve with more bass

I'm ordering a cold sweat soon

I played the alnico warpig and it sounds very thick, but not really tight

sounds more like a Tony Iommi on heavy steroids playing Mastodon and Crowbar :lol:

Archived