Swapping EMG's for BKP Warpig........

Iron Lotus

• Members

... SHould I do this?

Not the ALCINO.. BUT THE CERAMIC Warpig. Tighter than the alcino.. Alot better

for my style.since I tune lower.

THey are rather expensive.

Id sell the Emg81 in the eclipse bridge, And take the 60 in the neck

and put it in my ibanez with the 85 in the bridge.

Then Id take the active electronics and switch to the right

pots in the eclipse, get a CERAMIC WARPIG and put it in the bridge.

And the neck would just get a cover or something. Playing live

I really dont switch to the neck pickup at all so its not a huge

problem.

Just wondering what you may think, ive read some good info

on warpigs, But is it worth the trouble.

• Members

I am not a believer of high dollar pups as being that much better. I have a ceramic warpig and it sounds pretty good, nothing like an EMG, but I would have been satisfied with a standard duncan really. If money isnt a big deal, I guess it would be alright. Of course, it is just my opinion anyway.

• Members

I am not a believer of high dollar pups as being that much better. I have a ceramic warpig and it sounds pretty good, nothing like an EMG, but I would have been satisfied with a standard duncan really. If money isnt a big deal, I guess it would be alright. Of course, it is just my opinion anyway.

Yeah I hear they sound alot bigger and just more percussive

than emg's without having that high middy sound.

• Members

+1, I like my warpig but for less money a SD invader or a dimarzio X2N would have been just as good

• Members

BK's are excellent..if i had a $1000 bucks to spend on pickups..

he'd get alot of my business.Im building a 50's style strat..

warmoth parts.1 piece ash body,vintage trem,Maple-Maple neck..

and im going to have Tim do a pickup assembly for me. Not sure

which ones yet..but ill have him work me up one and ill drop it in.

BK's get my vote - :)

• Members

how do the BKs compare to SD Blackouts? Anyone know?

It has been a while since I had the blackouts but to my memory, they sounded kinda scooped. Super tight low end, great for chugging. In comparison, the warpig had a little less on the low end but not much and had more high mids. What I wanna know is how the new AHB2 blackouts sound. They are sposed to be revoiced with more mids and switchable amounts of gain. I think they are out now if not, real soon.

• Members

It has been a while since I had the blackouts but to my memory, they sounded kinda scooped. Super tight low end, great for chugging. In comparison, the warpig had a little less on the low end but not much and had more high mids. What I wanna know is how the new AHB2 blackouts sound. They are sposed to be revoiced with more mids and switchable amounts of gain. I think they are out now if not, real soon.

Thats interesting.... You say the Blackout had more low mids then?

The bk had more high mids and less low end??

Would you say the Blackout is Tighter and bigger sounding

than a BKP Ceramic Warpig???????

• Members

don't just settle for the warpig. the veramic warpig is good for compressed metal, but the A5 nailbomb is where it's at. That thing sounds great. way more organic than the nailbomb. But if you had emg's previously, organic tone may not be your thing.

Good point. I :love: my Warpig, it's a great pickup with more versatility than the name implies (good clean and gritty tones available as well as flat out waaargh) but if active EMGs are getting you a sound you like, the 'pigs may be a tad too old-school sounding for you.

• Members

Thats interesting.... You say the Blackout had more low mids then?

The bk had more high mids and less low end??

Would you say the Blackout is Tighter and bigger sounding

than a BKP Ceramic Warpig???????

If you want tighter sounding then you should be looking at the nailbomb instead of the warpig.

I have the alnico warpig, and I love the squishyness I get out of it, but I CAN make it tight when I want it to be (which isn't too much really anyway).

Maybe the added brightness of a ceramic pig could help tighten things up a bit, but if you want tight low end response and want a screaming pickup, get the nailbomb.

The comparison of the pigs v blackouts seems weird to me. Pigs have LOADS of low mids and are definately not big on the highs.

I can't imagine the SDs having EVEN more low mids and having less highs than the blackouts (Edit: I mean bareknuckles :mad:). That kinda just sounds like mud :freak:

If it was a ceramic then maybe that's why. I've never played a ceramic pig though.

• Members

I have a Ceramic Pig on order. I also have a nailbomb in my sevenstring. I have owned emgs in the past.

The Nailbomb is a great pickup. Organic and sings for lead. However it's not super tight like Emgs are. The Ceramic Pig would be tighter than the nailbomb from what I have heard . The Miracle man is BKP's closest match to an EMG though.

• Members

Yeah not looking for a match to the EMG, if that was the case id leave the EMG's in the guitar. I want something thats going to kick the balls off the EMG. Heavier, More percussive, All around BETTER.

Gotcha... well, I'd recommend BK's as well, but you should really really check out WCR's too. Trust me on this, the IronMan pup is the mother{censored}ing BOMB and tight as a tick but also really warm, organic, thick, etc... AND cleans up very nicely when you roll off the volume. Check it out.

• Members

Anybody else have any opinions on EMG's vs Ceramic Pig for the heavy

stuff.

Its still a bit of work to go through from active to passive.

And more expensive than blackouts would be, If they are

indeed in the same ballpark.

• Members

Anybody else have any opinions on EMG's vs Ceramic Pig for the heavy

stuff.

Its still a bit of work to go through from active to passive.

And more expensive than blackouts would be, If they are

indeed in the same ballpark.

You checked the Bareknuckle forums?

There's clips flyin left right n centre over there. You're bound to find somethin.

• Members

Yep ive been listening and talking to them as well. But Im a little afraid of some of them being really biased since it is the BKP forum. Ive only heard 1 decent recording of a low tuned Ceramic Warpig.

Im just trying to justify the expense, and preperation its going to take

to do the whole thing.

Archived