Best poweramp to use with the Axe-Fx

TheGreatGreen

• Members

I'm thinking about picking up an Axe-Fx to use as a preamp for a new rack I'm building. However, I don't have extensive experience with many poweramps on the market. I've heard good things about Mesa and VHT poweramps, though. Basically, I'm looking for the best sounding poweramp I can get to accommodate the Axe-Fx. Something with a lot of clarity, punch, and sparkle.

I hear that the creator of the Axe-Fx uses a VHT 2/50/2 poweramp and 4x12 cab. I'm thinking about picking up a 2/50/2 as well, but I'm curious to know how that amp compares to the VHT 2/90/2 and the Mesa 2:90. Obviously, the later amps will give me a bit more headroom, but would the KT88's in the 2/90/2 sound significantly better than the 2/50/2's EL-34 / 6L6 tubes?

As far as the tones I'm after, I'll be going for several sounds, ranging from extremely high-gain metal tones to mid-gain rock tones with this setup. Any suggestions?

• Members

Just curious, have you ever played through a 2/50/2? If you have how does it compare?

I'm really not too worried about clean headroom, as both VHT poweramps have ridiculous headroom. I'm more concerned with the differences between the types of tubes each amp uses. I've heard great things about KT88's tones like clarity and huge punch in the bass frequencies, but I'm wondering if the 2/50/2's ability to use both 6L6 and EL-34, as well as switch between class A and AB would outweigh the benefits of KT88's.

What do you think?

• Members

Basically, I'm looking for the best sounding poweramp I can get to accommodate the Axe-Fx. Something with a lot of clarity, punch, and sparkle.

YMMV of course but for me one of the strongest (and most mis-understood) components of the Axe-FX is the power amp section. I'm a big fan of overdriven power amp sounds (think SRV type overdrive) and the Axe-FX lets me set up Fender and Marshall Plexi tones to reflect a "turned up all the way" scenario at moderate levels.

The introduction of a tube power amps slightly changes that equation. That is if you LOVE the sound of your power amp AND can turn it up loud enough to get it saturating then by all means turn off the power amp section of the Axe-Fx and push the power amp.

If volume becomes an issue I maintain the pushed power amp section of the Axe-Fx is miraculous and is nearly impossible to re-create at lower volumes any other way.

A good solid state power amp may actually wind up sounding more "tube like" than a tube power amp.

• Members

I would either use something like the 2/50/2 (anything that can switch between power tubes)

OR, as the AXE-FX recommends, use a SOLID STATE power amp that won't color the sound, as the unit itself emulates the power amps.

• Members

The introduction of a tube power amps slightly changes that equation. That is if you LOVE the sound of your power amp AND can turn it up loud enough to get it saturating then by all means turn off the power amp section of the Axe-Fx and push the power amp.

If volume becomes an issue I maintain the pushed power amp section of the Axe-Fx is miraculous and is nearly impossible to re-create at lower volumes any other way.

You aren't making much sense. He needs to push a 4x12 cab. You aren't going to do that with the Axe-FX alone, so he needs a real power amp.

• Members

You aren't making much sense. He needs to push a 4x12 cab. You aren't going to do that with the Axe-FX alone, so he needs a real power amp.

He probably means either running the Axe-Fx through a solid state poweramp or running it straight into powered full-range speakers.

Honestly though, I'm still a guitar player, and I still like the mojo of tubes and the feel of a 4x12 pushing tons of air. I don't want to totally depart from tubes just yet. From reading a ton of info about this thing, I've pretty much narrowed the choice down to VHT poweramps (everyone keeps saying the Mesas colors the tone a lot more than the VHTs). Now, it's pretty much down to whether I'd like the choice of using 6L6 and EL34 tubes (with the 2/50/2), or 6550 and KT88 tubes (with the 2/90/2).

But what about KT-77's? They can be used with the 2/50/2 apparently. Are they similar to the high headroom / big bass response of KT-88's?

• Members

He probably means either running the Axe-Fx through a solid state poweramp or running it straight into powered full-range speakers.

Honestly though, I'm still a guitar player, and I still like the mojo of tubes and the feel of a 4x12 pushing tons of air. I don't want to totally depart from tubes just yet. From reading a ton of info about this thing, I've pretty much narrowed the choice down to VHT poweramps (everyone keeps saying the Mesas colors the tone a lot more than the VHTs). Now, it's pretty much down to whether I'd like the choice of using 6L6 and EL34 tubes (with the 2/50/2), or 6550 and KT88 tubes (with the 2/90/2).

But what about KT-77's? They can be used with the 2/50/2 apparently. Are they similar to the high headroom / big bass response of KT-88's?

KT-77's can be used in the 2/50/2, but they're more inbetween a 6L6 and an EL34 then they are closer to a KT-88.

It really depends on what the OP wants. Do you like the sound of powertube saturation in british style amps? If so, go with the 2/50/2. If you're all about preamp gain and want an ass-load of headroom, get the 2/90/2, or just go with solidstate.

You might also want to consider the Randall RM/2 which allows you to switch via midi between the EL34 and 6L6 sections giving you more tonal options depending on which model you're using in the Axe-FX.

-W

• Members

Honestly though, I'm still a guitar player, and I still like the mojo of tubes and the feel of a 4x12 pushing tons of air.

Yep I'm a guitar player as well :) and I do "get" what you're saying. That and I'm certainly not against moving air as I'm often accused of moving too much of it. Depending on the job I'll use an Avatar traditional 2x12 cabinet that doesn't sound it's best until I push it.....and I do.

Still in all the poweramp section of the Axe-Fx is VERY powerful and adds a layer of tone shaping that is beyond belief. For me it may be one of the most powerful aspects of the Axe-Fx and unfortunately perhaps the most misunderstood. There is a smoothness to my tone (particularly to my eq) when I push things into power amp distortion and a luxury to have that tool and tone at a decent club level. To do this with a traditional tube poweramp would require a volume that is simply unmanageable.

Lot's of folks using tube power amps with the Axe-Fx with grand success and I'm positive just about any choice will work really well for you. Not my position to "knock" that choice.

Just trying to turn you on to to what your alternatives are.

• Members

I really like the Carvin TS100 with modelers. It is a really clean and flat sounding power amp very much like a SS power amp but without the nasty SS breakup.

If you want to go the SS route, again I'd recommend the Carvin DCM series.

The above is for modelers only, for regular tube preamps I love the Mesa 2:90. It's my all-time favorite tube power amp.

Guest Anonymous

I'm thinking about picking up an Axe-Fx to use as a preamp for a new rack I'm building. However, I don't have extensive experience with many poweramps on the market. I've heard good things about Mesa and VHT poweramps, though. Basically, I'm looking for the best sounding poweramp I can get to accommodate the Axe-Fx. Something with a lot of clarity, punch, and sparkle.

I hear that the creator of the Axe-Fx uses a VHT 2/50/2 poweramp and 4x12 cab. I'm thinking about picking up a 2/50/2 as well, but I'm curious to know how that amp compares to the VHT 2/90/2 and the Mesa 2:90. Obviously, the later amps will give me a bit more headroom, but would the KT88's in the 2/90/2 sound significantly better than the 2/50/2's EL-34 / 6L6 tubes?

As far as the tones I'm after, I'll be going for several sounds, ranging from extremely high-gain metal tones to mid-gain rock tones with this setup. Any suggestions?

If you buy a tube poweramp you are basically defeating the purpose of a lot the functions the axe-fx has to offer. Mainly the poweramp controls. Why not give up the quest for tone via the age old head and or rack and cab combination. You haven't been able to do it successfully so far or you would never even look at something like the axe-fx. Why not a bitching pair of QSC powered monitors??

Archived