should I hit it??

guitarbilly74

• Members

I haven't checked the market for Ultra's lately, but I would search around for a better price. That seems a bit high to me. If you did buy it though, it wouldn't be a terrible purchase because those are great amps.:idk:

• Members

Thats with stock tubes that are atleast 14 years old..lol

And a well broken in 5150 cab, the amp has never had a hiccup.

I still use it live often.

how do you compare it to the more expensive amps you own? (mesa, splawn, marshall etc).. same level? close?

• Members

Its right in league as far as old school tone goes...I prefer it to the XXX or 5150.I like it better than any marshall I have owned..
I would say out of all my amps I would rank it in the top 4 maybe the top 3 even.
PS yes the rockmaster is suppose to be the preamp of the ultra plus and its close..but I have never heard one sound exact, it would depend on which poweramp you use with the rockmaster.

• Members
I'd do it all over again for one. I think I paid $390 shipped for mine 3 years ago. Just make sure you throw an EQ in the loop. You'll thank me later.

Agreed. Some people like it a lot without an eq in the loop, but if anyone gets one and isn't happy with it as it is an eq definitely does a lot with that amp, IMO. :cool:

I've also had good results with different boosts on both channels when keeping the amp gain under control and just using the boost for leads.

• Members
cool I have a MXR KFK in my pedalboard
:love:

I've always used a Boss GE-7 and have no problems with noise that some people get with the pedal, but I really want to try one of those Kerry King MXR eq's and have heard a lot of great things about them. :cool:

• Members

I have never tried mine with a boost..lol

Just never thought it needed it, I actually prefer it without the EQ in the loop as well...but I know it can really fine tune the amp.

I do use boosts sometimes on my Mesa's.

Which boosts do you use with your Mesa?

• Members
I've always used a Boss GE-7 and have no problems with noise that some people get with the pedal, but I really want to try one of those Kerry King MXR eq's and have heard a lot of great things about them.
:cool:

If you like EQ pedals do yourself a favor and buy the KFK eq. You don't even have to try it first. It's so good it's ridiculous. I was pretty happy with my GE-7 and even with my Fish and Chips until I heard the KFK. It's super quiet and the 10 bands make a world of difference to fine tune your tone. It's a little expensive but definitely worth the price.

Archived