im this close to giving up

mccarty

• Members

looking for THE amp :cry:

ive played most of the amps carried by guitar chains and cant find anything that really does what i need

but then again im the only kid at my high school that plays everything from jazz, blues, all the way up to the br00tz

the only amps im going to try before i give in and find a two amp set up are koch, suhr/custom audio, and maybe even zinky or 65

ive spent hours with xtc's, roadkings, SEs, etc. and havent found something that i gives me what i want

not sure if there was a point to this, other than letting out my frustration :blah:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You're in high school. The "amp" you want is learning how to control and use EQ and boost and channels.

im not a freaking 8 year old

i know how to control and use eq as well as effective use of boosting

i also know how to switch the amp on in case you want to know :freak:

sorry if that makes me sound like a jerk, but i get that crap all the time from people in stores who dont think i know anything when i do

ive grown up in an extremely musical family (my grandmother was a professional singer at age 6 or 7) and i know what good tone is, just because im young doesnt mean i dont have trained ears

• Members

im not a freaking 8 year old

i know how to control and use eq as well as effective use of boosting

i also know how to switch the amp on in case you want to know
:freak:

sorry if that makes me sound like a jerk, but i get that crap all the time from people in stores who dont think i know anything when i do

ive grown up in an extremely musical family (my grandmother was a professional singer at age 6 or 7) and i know what good tone is, just because im young doesnt mean i dont have trained ears

Well if you can't get what you need out of an xtc or roadking then sorry, you're probably not as good as you think you are. I suppose they just don't make amps versatile enough for your talents :o

All you really need is a good clean channel and an OD pedal for jazz and blues which both of those amps do just fine and they both will do "teh brootz" fine as well.

Also...

to quote someone else "post a clip or you're warplanegrey" :lol:

• Members
Well if you can't get what you need out of an xtc or roadking then sorry, you're probably not as good as you think you are. I suppose they just don't make amps versatile enough for your talents
:o

All you really need is a good clean channel and an OD pedal for jazz and blues which both of those amps do just fine and they both will do "teh brootz" fine as well.

Also...

to quote someone else "post a clip or you're warplanegrey"
:lol:

this.

• Members
Well if you can't get what you need out of an xtc or roadking then sorry, you're probably not as good as you think you are. I suppose they just don't make amps versatile enough for your talents

or it could be that i dont like the voicing or feel of those amps :o

sure i can get a clean, crunch, and heavy distortion on them that i could live with, but if im paying that much money, i want it to be a something i really like, not just something i can live with

• Members
or it could be that i dont like the voicing or feel of those amps

sure i can get a clean, crunch, and heavy distortion on them that i could live with, but if im paying that much money, i want it to be a something i really like, not just something i can live with

What amp/guitar do you currently play and whose tones are you chasing?

• Members

Peavey Rockmaster. Seriously; that thing has been really impressing me. I'm loathe to admit it, but it might just be my favorite amp I've owned yet... of course you need a power amp as well, and some way to switch it (I use a G-major). And it's retardedly cheap. I play progressive death by the way, so I'm mostly using the clean channel and the high-gain channel, but the mid-gain channel sounds fantastic as well.

Rock Master + G-major + power amp = killer, inexpensive and very versatile.

And hold the {censored}ing phone... how are you out there contemplating XTCs, Road Kings and SEs, let alone a two amp setup... and you're still in high school? Forgive me for being presumptuous, but spend your own money... not mommy and daddy's. You'll appreciate what you're playing a lot more when it's been funded by your own hard-earned money. If you've somehow amassed enough of a pile of cash to consider Bogners, Engls and beyond, then more power to you I suppose. When I was in high school I was psyched as hell to buy my first 1x12 combo.

• Members
What amp/guitar do you currently play and whose tones are you chasing?

i have a prs mccarty, and i have a carvin mts combo (which i dont like at all but it gets the job done)

and im not chasing anyones tones. i just want a tone i like :idk:

btw im not saying that they arent great amps, they definitely are, its just they arent for me

• Members

And hold the {censored}ing phone... how are you out there contemplating XTCs, Road Kings and SEs, let alone a two amp setup... and you're still in high school? Forgive me for being presumptuous, but spend your own money... not mommy and daddy's. You'll appreciate what you're playing a lot more when it's been funded by your own hard-earned money. If you've somehow amassed enough of a pile of cash to consider Bogners, Engls and beyond, then more power to you I suppose. When I was in high school I was psyched as hell to buy my first 1x12 combo.

i am spending my own money, i dont have it all right now, but i figure if i do all my playing on the amps now, by the time i have the cash i can just buy them, i wont have to do the searching then. and btw, i totally agree about the hard-earned money bit. ive payed for about 90% of my stuff including my prs and carvin

• Members

i have a prs mccarty, and i have a carvin mts combo (which i dont like at all but it gets the job done)

and im not chasing anyones tones. i just want a tone i like
:idk:

btw im not saying that they arent great amps, they definitely are, its just they arent for me

Right, not surprised you responded that you're not chasing anyone's tones, btw :lol: Nothing particularly wrong with a mcarty, though. Well here's the thing: you've listed that you've played the XTC, roadking, SE, stiletto, and mkIV extensively. Those amps pretty much cover the range of voicings and feel out there for versatile high end channel switchers, IMO. I assume you've played a JVM too if you've played the rest? Point being I think you're chasing finger tone, not a particular amp if none of those amps do it for you.

• Members

Diezel VH4.

not a fan of it

once again, great amp, it has usable tones in it, just not exactly what i want

i seriously thought about this and a herbert though, but every time i played one i liked it less and less

• Members
Right, not surprised you responded that you're not chasing anyone's tones, btw
:lol:
Nothing particularly wrong with a mcarty, though. Well here's the thing: you've listed that you've played the XTC, roadking, SE, stiletto, mkIV extensively. Those amps pretty much cover the range of voicings and feel out there for versatile high end channel switchers, IMO. I assume you've played a JVM too if you've played the rest? Point being I think you're chasing finger tone, not a particular amp if none of those amps do it for you.

yes ive played the jvm

but i disagree about finger tone

this thread was basically me saying, there is no one single amp that will do everything for me

not a big deal. i could easily be satisfied with a two amp setup, id just prefer a single because of the simplicity and im realising its not really an option for me

• Members

get a marshall JMP or JCM and a few OD pedals and that really is all you should need

im considering that, but i also am looking at something like a fender tube combo (like a 65 twin reverb or similar) for jazz and blues and then a second amp to cover the rest with probably a little overlap

Archived